April: 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14
Friday, April 14th, 2000
1626Z: Mig Alley Patch
1450Z: Close Combat IV Patch
- Rowan Software has released a new patch for Mig Alley to version 1.23. Click HERE for information on the patch and HERE to download.
1300Z: New BCT Construction Set
- SSI has released a patch for french versions of Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge. Click HERE to download from Patches-Scrolls.
1200Z: Jane's Defence Weekly
- Shrapnel Games announced today the release of the BCT Construction Set. Owners of BCT: Brigade Combat Team, can now create their own scenarios by purchasing and downloading the construction set at Shrapnel Games website. The BCT Construction Set allows you to modify any scenario which ships with BCT: Brigade Combat Team, BCT Expansion Pack 1 or Expansion Pack 2. It also allows you to create all new scenarios, either using provided databases or all new ones.
- THEL approaches crucial tests
Israel and the USA hope to complete the first stage of development of the Tactical High-Energy Laser/Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration (THEL/ACTD) over the next few months in a series of crucial tests to determine the feasibility of the weapon and whether it receives extra funding from Congress.
- Turkey accepts US invite to invest in JSF
Turkey has accepted a US invitation to participate in the engineering and manufacturing development phase of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) programme from next year.
- Egypt to get ground-based AMRAAM
The USA will supply Egypt with a ground-launched version of the Advanced Medium Range Air-To-Air Missile (AIM-120 AMRAAM) to replace its ageing Soviet-built 2K12 (NATO reporting name: SA-6 'gainful') surface-to-air missiles, US Defence Secretary William Cohen has announced.
- US Army details aviation modernisation
The US Army unveiled its long-awaited 2000 Army Aviation Modernisation Plan last week, laying the framework for a future force centred around the Boeing Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche.
- More range for PzH 2000
To enable targets to be engaged at longer ranges and with a significant increase in accuracy, Germany's Rheinmetall Waffe & Munition is developing a 155mm spin-stabilised artillery projectile for the PzH self-propelled artillery system.
- Croatia abandons MiG-21 upgrade
Croatia has decided not to implement an agreement for an Israeli upgrade of Zagreb's 30 MiG-21 fighters and T-55 main battle tanks, in what officials said forms part of a policy that stresses the importance of Western arms procurement as part of a drive to join NATO.
- India commissions replenishment ship
The Indian Navy (IN) commissioned INS Adiyta, the first locally-built replenishment ship, at Vishkapatnam, headquarters of the Eastern Fleet, on 2 April.
- Taiwan finalises design for fast attack craft
The Republic of China (Taiwan) Navy has announced the finalisation of blueprints for the stealth design Kwang Hwa 6 guided-missile patrol craft, a replacement for its 49 Hai Ou-class missile-armed fast attack craft.
- UAE's air force widens trainer competition
United Arab Emirates Air Force (UAEAF) officials have added the Chinese Karakorum K-8 to the list of candidate jet trainers being evaluated to support the introduction of more than 140 Dassault Aviation Mirage 2000-9 and Lockheed Martin F-16C/D Block 60 combat aircraft into service during the next five to seven years.
- IDF sets up field intelligence corps
The Israel Defence Force (IDF) has established a new Field Intelligence Corps (Hel Modi'in HaSadeh), under the command of Brig Gen Amnon Safrin, to consolidate intelligence-gathering operations, previously conducted separately in the armoured, field engineers, artillery and infantry corps.
- UK cost-cutting DLO launched
The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has officially launched its new joint supply and repair organisation, the Defence Logistics Organisation (DLO), which becomes the largest single organisation in the MoD with an annual budget of £4.7 billion ($7.4 million), 20% of the MoD's total budget, and assets of £22 billion.
Thursday, April 13th, 2000
1432Z: Ground Control Beta Sign-up
1400Z: Mind Rover Demo
- WON.net, Sierra and Massive Entertainment will be selecting up to 1,000 beta testers for Ground Control — a action/real-time strategy game featuring the ability to drop into a multiplayer game at any time. Click HERE for more info.
1200Z: Counter-Strike Teams with Valve
- MindRover is a 3D strategy/programming game. This is a brand new genre that encompasses the depth of play found in strategy games with a new concept in player control. You get to program the intelligence of robotic vehicles. You are a researcher on Europa, a moon of Jupiter. Click HERE to download from 3DFile.com.
1130Z: Nato3 Beta for Rogue Spear
- The Counter-Strike development team and Valve today announced Valve's support for on-going development of Counter-Strike, the popular multiplayer modification (MOD) for Valve's awarding winning debut title Half-Life. Counter-Strike was first showcased at the Half-Life MOD Expo '99 in San Francisco and, after a series of subsequent releases, has become the premier realistic combat game on the Internet since its initial release late last year. Currently Counter-Strike is at Beta release 6 and the officially released version 1.0 will be a free upgrade for Half-Life owners.
- We have been given the latest beta of the Nato3 mod for Rogue Spear. Expect to see a review shortly from our staff on this exciting new mod.
Wednesday, April 12th, 2000
1946Z: 3DFX MAC-Branded Products
1900Z: Red Storm Teams with Zombie Studios
- 3dfx today announced that the Voodoo4 4500 PCI and Voodoo5 5500 PCI Video Cards for Macintosh will be the first two Mac products released by the company. Both products include both a standard CRT monitor output in addition to a DVI output, which enables support for Apple's new, all-digital flat panel displays. The new boards feature the industry's first hardware anti-aliasing solution, in addition to a compelling set of 3D features including T-BufferÔ digital cinematic effects and FXT1 texture compression. The Voodoo4 4500 PCI and Voodoo5 5500 PCI for Mac are expected to be available in the company's second quarter.
1500Z: Solider Release Date Announced
1350Z: Wargamer Patch
- Red Storm Entertainment Inc. today announced that Zombie Studios will help to create game levels for Red Storm’s upcoming interactive guide, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Covert Operations Essentials (Covert Ops). Covert Ops is an extension of the popular Rainbow Six franchise. Red Storm recently announced the deal with developer Magic Lantern Playware to create the informational content for this project, within their proprietary ShowTech application environment.
- Patches-Scrolls have posted a new patch for Wargamer: Napoleon 1813 which updates from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2(1.1Mb). This patch is for both english & german release of this game. Click HERE to download.
Tuesday, April 11th, 2000
1450Z: Tachyon Goes Gold
1335Z: EMBM Game of the Week
- Tachyon: The Fringe, NovaLogic'space adventure and multi-player combat, has mastered and should arrive in retail stores throughout North America by April 20. Click HERE for more info.
1200Z: Mac Updates for F/A-18
- G400 EMBM Game of the Week is Destroyer Command by Ultimation and SSI. Destroyer Command is a naval game based in W.W.II, where you are the bridge commander of a destroyer. Click HERE for more info and to view screen shots from the game.
- Patches-Scrolls have added two patches for the Macintosh version of F/A-18:
- Beta 1 of F/A-18 Hornet version 3.1 (824k)
- Beta 3 of F/A-18 Korea version 1.1 (2.1Mb)
Monday, April 10th, 2000
1400Z: European Air Warrior 2000 Convention
1350Z: Aces High Updated
- Registration for the "European Air Warrior Convention 2000" is now open. The location for the convention is The Great Barr Hotel and Conference Centre, Birmingham, England from August 18th - 20th 2000. Click HERE for more details.
1200Z: Rapman for RogerWilco
- HiTech Creations have released another major update for Aces High. The latest patch includes for the first time ground vehicles. Click HERE for more info.
0530Z: Jane's Defence Weekly
- There is a new ICQ-like utility out there called Rapman. Of particular interest to gamers is the RogerWilco edition which embeds Roger Wilco into the application. Click HERE for more info.
- Turkey near to decision on attack helicopter project
The selection of a final bidder in the Turkish Army's $4 billion attack helicopter project will be made at the end of June.
- Raytheon offers cheaper engine option on BVRAAM
A recently revised draft of Raytheon's bid for the UK Royal Air Force's Beyond-Visual-Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM) programme, due to be awarded imminently, has effectively relinquished reliance on ramjet-propulsion technology because the company is convinced that an advanced rocket motor will meet the requirement at a fraction of the cost.
- Boeing may re-enter Chilean fighter bid with Super Hornet
Now that the Chilean government will not select a new tactical fighter before September at the earliest, Boeing may have the opportunity to re-enter the Caza 2000 (Fighter 2000) programme, this time with the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, according to US and Chilean sources.
- NMD role for NORAD must get Canada's support
The US government cannot assign the command and control of a National Missile Defense (NMD) system to the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) without Canadian consent, according to Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy.
- Industry lining up for S America frigate work
With Chile expected to soon select Germany's Blohm+Voss MEKO-class design for its TRIDENTE frigate programme, a narrowing field of international competitors is lining up for a potential lucrative
systems-integration contract and other opportunities to outfit the vessels with the latest weapon systems equipment.
- Sweden passes plan to revamp armed forces
Sweden's Riksdag (Parliament) has approved the Labour government's plan to radically reduce and restructure Sweden's armed forces to better enable them to meet the challenges of the post-Cold War era.
- Mortar system takes to the water
The AMOS (Advanced Mortar System) twin 120mm turreted mortar system, under development as a private venture by Patria Vammas of Finland and Hägglunds Vehicle of Sweden, has been installed on a Swedish Navy high-speed Combatboat 90H raiding craft.
- Pakistan unveils Shaheen-II
Pakistan unveiled its Shaheen-II medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) at this year's annual Pakistan Day parade on 23 March.
- Singapore launches DSTA
Singapore has implemented a reorganisation of the technology arm of the Ministry of Defence with the launch on 29 March of the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA).
- Jordan to launch series of MBT variants
The Jordanian King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau has developed a series of main battle tank (MBT) upgrade proposals aimed at both domestic and export markets. These will be launched at the
SOFEX 2000 Special Operations Forces Exhibition to be held in Jordan later this month.
- USA again presses Israel to stop technology sales to China
The Clinton administration has again asked Israel to end sales of advanced military technology to China this time linking the request to a proposed US defence package to Israel in the event of a withdrawal from the Golan Heights.
April: 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14
COMBATSIM.COM DAILY NEWS
| Send Us News | Archives | Main |
Copyright © 1997 - 2000 COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.