March: 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Friday, March 10th, 2000
1550Z: COMBATSIM.COM's Forums in The Washington Post
1500Z: Earth2150 Demo
- Thanks to a tip from 'jimvictor' in the forums, we learned that COMBATSIM.COM forum readers were quoted in today's Washington Post. The mention came in an article entitled Playing Games With 'Box Specs' by Washington Post Staff Writer, Nelson Hernandez. Hernandez quoted Steve Grady's comments on his out-of-the-box experiences with Falcon 4.0.
As we've said in the response to this tip in the Falcon 4 forum, it sure is nice to be recognized in the popular press. We feel honored, not so much for ourselves, but for our forum members who have always been the best on the Internet!
In case anyone is interested, here is the link to the story on the Washington Post's site: Playing Games With 'Box Specs'. If you have a hardcopy of The Washington Post, it's in Section E, Page 1.
- For our German readers, SSI has released the German demo of Earth 2150, at all-terrain, 3D real-time strategy game. Click HERE to download from Patches-Scrolls.
Thursday, March 9th, 2000
1422Z: New CFS Addon - Tuskegee Fighters
1355Z: Roge Spear Nato3 Update
- Tuskegee Fighters - The Courageous Battles of the 332nd Fighter Group is a new add-on from Abacus Software, Inc. Tuskegee Fighters brings you all the 332nd's aircraft including: P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang, T-6 Texan, PT-17 Stearman and P40 Warhawk plus 20 missions for Tuskegee Fighters recreate the actual events. Click HERE for more info.
1200Z: Jane's Defence Weekly for March 8th, 2000
- Rogue Spear Database is reporting that the highly anticapted Nato3 patch for Rogue Spear is in closed beta for final testing. Expect to see Nato3 available for download in the coming weeks.
- India's biggest ever increase in defence spending
India has increased defence spending by 28.2% to Rs585.87 billion ($13.94 billion) for Fiscal Year 2000-01.
- Norway signs up for New Escort
Norway's government decided last week to award the Royal Norwegian Navy's New Escort vessel programme to a team led by Empresa Nacional Bazan, ending a protracted industry battle between the Spanish shipyard and its German rival Blohm+Voss.
- Cash squeeze hits RAF upgrade
Heavily modified UK Royal Air Force (RAF) fighter aircraft are to fall short of their full combat potential under an upgrade policy that its critics have portrayed as making inadequate use of an overstretched RAF equipment budget.
- FCS vehicles put at top of US Army's priority list
The US Army is placing the Future Combat Systems (FCS) family of vehicles and its associated technologies at the top of the service's
science and technology priorities, said Dr Mike Andrews, the army's top scientist.
- Canada boosts budget to ease defence challenges
The Canadian government has increased the defence budget enough to alleviate some of the immediate challenges facing the Department of
National Defence but not enough to avoid some painful decisions.
- Dual delivery is key to buried targets
The US Department of Defense has developed a new concept to enable its existing stockpile of penetrating munitions to hit buried or hardened
targets that could contain weapons of mass destruction facilities.
- Russia offers Turkey S-300 production deal
Russia is offering Turkey joint production of the Antey S-300 long-range air defence system as it seeks to secure a slice of Ankara's multi-billion-dollar defence modernisation programme.
- EU agrees shape of rapid reaction force
European Union (EU) defence ministers have agreed the outlines for a future European rapid reaction force during an informal meeting in Sintra, Portugal, on 28 February. The 15 ministers re-affirmed their commitment to the formation of a 50,000- to 60,000-strong force by 2003.
- Taiwan develops RT2000 rocket launcher system
A new multiple rocket launcher, called the Ray Ting 2000 (RT2000), is being developed to meet the operational requirements of the Republic of China (Taiwan) Army.
- KAI, Lockheed re-badge KTX-2
Development partners Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) and Lockheed Martin of the USA relaunched their twin-seat KTX-2 trainer as the T-50/A-50 Golden Eagle during last month's Asian Aerospace 2000 exhibition in Singapore.
- SANDF still struggling despite budget boost
The South African government will increase defence spending by almost one-third to R13.717 billion ($2.2 billion) for Financial Year 2000 as
it implements plans for a major re-equipment of air and naval forces, but the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) will still be hard pushed to achieve the government's goals.
Wednesday, March 8th, 2000
1648Z: COMBATSIM.COM Article Submission Guide
1508Z: Delta Force 2 Patch
- Now that we've got the site converted and can get back to our regular routine, we wanted you all to know that we have a new Article Submission Guidelines page. We are now accepting submissions for articles in a variety of categories, and yes, we do pay for the articles we accept. Please visit the Article Submission Guidelines page for full details.
1500Z: 3DO Ships Army Men-Air Tactics For PC
- Novalogic has released another patch for Delta Force 2. You can use the autoupdate feature inside the program or click HERE to download from 3DFiles.com.
1455Z: Jane's Fleet Command Custom Missions
- 3DO today announced that the Army Men-Air Tactics began shipping this week to retail outlets throughout North America and online shopping sites. Click HERE for more details.
1400Z: Plantronics and Microsoft Gaming Headset
- The 107th Naval Command Virtual Sea Operations Officer Jim "Jester" Nowak is introducing a new series of story line Fleet Command missions. Complete with custom sounds Nowak's Fleet Command missions will be a series much like the campaign missions already in the game. Click HERE for more info.
- Plantronics Inc. has announced that it has been selected by Microsoft® to deliver a stereo headset for the PC gaming enthusiast. Microsoft will bundle a Plantronics PC headset with its new gaming package, Microsoft SideWinder Game Voice. The complete package enables gamers to talk with each other through Internet or LAN connections while allowing voice control of game commands. Click HERE for more information.
Tuesday, March 7th, 2000
1553Z: Site Fixes
1541Z: New Aureal 3D Drivers
- We have fixed numerous broken links found through out the site, mainly in the Departments section. If you find any broken images, please let us know by emailing Site Support. Please include the link to the page to help us track down the problem. Many of you have already sent us reports of broken links and pages. We thank you for your efforts and will respond shortly to all your emails.
1400Z: Fly! All-In-One Patch
- Aureal has posted new audio drivers to be used with A3D 3.0 (ver 3.12). Click HERE to download. (.25Mb)
1355Z: Voodoo2 Windows 2000 Drivers
- TRI have released a consolidated patch for Fly! 1.0 factory installations. Please follow the instructions prior to installing. Click HERE to download from 3DFiles.com.
- 3DFX has posted Windows 2000 drivers for Voodoo2 video cards. Click HERE to download.
Monday, March 6th, 2000
1725Z: Forums Top 100,000 posts
1700Z: Enemy Coast Ahead Control Panel 3.0
- Earlier today, the forums topped 100,000 posts since we switched to the UBB format in September of 1999. Over the years, we've probably seen close to 600,000 posts or more here at COMBATSIM.COM but we can't be exactly sure because we never archived posts before September of '99. We just want to give a big thanks to every one who participates on the boards. Special mention has to go to the EAW guys who continue to educate, amuse, and entertain us with their own special brand of posts. If you haven't been to the message boards just click the Forums link in the nav column on the left.
1630Z: New Matrox TurboGL Drivers
- Charles Gunst has released the latest control panel (ver 3.0) for European Air War. Click HERE to download.
1600Z: Software Updates
- Matrox has released new TurboGL drivers for the G400 series. Click HERE for more info.
1530Z: Panzer Elite Scenario Editor
- The following software updates are available from 3DFiles.com:
1400Z: Jane's Defence Weekly for March 1st, 2000
- Patchs-Scrolls have posted the Panzer Elite Scenario Editor. Click HERE to download (9Mb).
- Israel seeks US partner for Arrow
Israel is looking for a US partner to co-produce the Arrow anti-missile defence system as Jerusalem and Washington launch negotiations to set the guidelines on the export of the system.
- USA to develop new generation of GPS satellites
The US Air Force is to develop a new generation of global positioning system (GPS) navigation satellites to meet a broad set of new requirements, including additional military and civilian signals and enhanced anti-jamming capabilities.
- UK to procure more Warriors
The British Army is considering an early acquisition of a variant of the Alvis Vehicles Warrior 2000 to replace its Warrior infantry fighting vehicles.
- New MICA variant unveiled
Anglo-French missile manufacturer Matra BAe Dynamics has announced plans to develop a vertical- launched variant of its MICA short-range air-to-air missile for deployment from naval and land-based platforms.
- Crusader will aid US mobility push
The US Army's push to improve its strategic mobility has gained momentum as the service plans to convert from tracks to wheels 50% of the resupply vehicles for the new United Defense LP Crusader 155mm tracked self-propelled howitzer.
- N American giants join on MAV
The Diesel Division, General Motors of Canada (DDGM) and General Dynamics Land Systems of the USA will jointly offer the former's 8 x 8 Light Armoured Vehicle III to meet the US Army's Medium Armoured Vehicle (MAV) requirement.
- UK scrutinises its Atomic Weapons Establishment
The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) will review the contract awarded to the AWE Management consortium to run the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) at Aldermaston. It will also review safety criteria at AWE.
- France tries 'US-style' play-off for HMDs
The French Air Force has decided to launch a US-style 'foreign comparative test programme' in its bid to acquire a helmet-mounted display (HMD) system for the Dassault Aviation Rafale fighter.
- Australian DoD needs to improve its 'credibility'
Australian Defence Secretary Dr Allan Hawke criticised the Department of Defence (DoD) and the way it does business at a recent address to the Defence Watch Seminar in Canberra.
- Bell may soon bid again as Project Air 87 re-opens
The re-opening and redefinition of the Australian Army's requirement for up to 30 armed reconnaissance/fire-support helicopters (Project Air 87) has given Bell Helicopter-Textron another opportunity to bid its AH-1Z Viper attack helicopter, which was eliminated last year.
- Iran builds Ababil UAV variants
Iran Aircraft Manufacturing Industries (HESA) has announced that two new variants of the Ababil unmanned air vehicle (UAV) have fully completed their trials and will enter service shortly.
- USA to keep Syria on its list of terrorist sponsors
The USA has told Israel that Syria will remain on the State Department's list of states that support terrorism in the wake of a possible peace treaty between the two long-time Middle East enemies.
COMBATSIM.COM DAILY NEWS
| Send Us News | Archives | Main |
Copyright © 1997 - 2000 COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.