my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » Anybody know how to

Author Topic: Anybody know how to
Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-20-2003 11:54 AM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Disable the F g Messanger service in Windows?

IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE BLOODY WALL!

--------------------

4013+

Donster
Member # 196

posted 02-20-2003 12:04 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I take it your talking XP? Go here for some great XP Tweaks!

TweakXP

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 02-20-2003 01:26 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are 2 ways in XP. Make it so it never starts, or uninstall it completely.

1>

quote:
Select Run from the Start menu and enter: gpedit.msc

Under Computer Configuration, expand the Administrative Templates folder.

Expand Windows Compontents

Click on Windows Messenger

In the main window (right side) double-click "Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run

2>

quote:
First double click the "my computer" icon and go to the Tools menu. Click Folder Options and click the view tab. Click the radio button that says Show Hidden files and folders. Click OK
Navigate to your "Windows" folder and find the folder called "inf". Open it (OMG, there's loads of files in here) and find the file called "sysoc". Don't try the SYSOC.PNF file, it's the wrong one.

Double click the "sysoc" file and find this line:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Remove the word "hide" and save the modified file. Be sure to leave both the commas in. Now go to Control Panel and open "Add or Remove Programs" Open "Add/Remove Windows Components". Windows Messengershould now show up at the bottom of the list.

You can now uninstall it just like any other irritating resource hungry piece of doo...

Either weapon works, and saves you having to stop the service after restarting...

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-20-2003 03:18 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!

--------------------

4013+

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.