my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » Any other Star Wars fans here?

Author Topic: Any other Star Wars fans here?
Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 01:07 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wondering...

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Posts: 867 | From: W. Lafayette, Indiana | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 01:16 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is that a rhetorical question? I can't think of anyone who isn't.

Although the new films aren't a patch on the original trilogy. I even kicked imperial butt in most of the X-wing series.

Why do you ask?

--------------------

4013+

Donster
Member # 196

posted 02-03-2003 01:18 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
Just wondering...

Only the original 3. The new ones were a disapointment to me.

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 01:22 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stag:
Why do you ask?

I was just wondering if anyone else is.

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 01:23 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh.

--------------------

4013+

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 01:27 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From a "graphics" point of view, the last 2 were quite impressive. There was still lots of action. I mean that laser sword fight with Yoda and the Count was far out.

But the story lines were definitely aimed at a much younger crowd compared to the 1st 3.

Still, I liked them all.

--------------------

"What we do in life, echoes in Eternity"

"Strength and Honour"

"At my signal, unleash Hell"

Posts: 3945 | From: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 01:27 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually like the new ones btw. Qui Gonn is very cool, and I'd love Padme's wardrobe.

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 01:32 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The effects in the new ones are pretty cool, but the hardware is definitely more aimed at ease of use by action figures, rather than looking "right." The new ones I think are good, but not as good as the originals.

You ever play any of the X-wing sims Jen? Damned good in their time. Bought my first HOTAS setup just for X-wing.

Happy days...

--------------------

4013+

HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 02-03-2003 01:41 PM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if you could call me a "fan" but am pretty into Star Trek, Star Wars and B5, but not so much of late.

My SW film ratings, best to worst...

V ESB
IV ANH
II AOTC
VI ROJ
I PM

--------------------

EK16_Krieghund
Erprobungskommando 16

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 02:37 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, now does anyone watch Farscape?

Took me awhile to get into it, but I really do enjoy it.

Some may think it's too soap-opera-ish, but I think it's steamy sexy. Makes the other romances on other shows rather sophomoric.

IMHO.

--------------------

"Strength and Honour"

Posts: 3945 | From: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 02:53 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulla:
Ok, now does anyone watch Farscape?

Umm, never heard of it. Is it on the Sci-Fi channel?

quote:

Some may think it's too soap-opera-ish, but I think it's steamy sexy. Makes the other romances on other shows rather sophomoric.

IMHO.

Hmmmmm....sounds good so far!

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 02:56 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You ever play any of the X-wing sims Jen? Damned good in their time. Bought my first HOTAS setup just for X-wing.

Happy days...

No, I never have played any of them. What did you do in them? Attack the Death Star or....you know....what were they like? The only thing that I can imagine is that energy management in outer space is probably not a big issue in a dogfight. Otherwise...are they worth buying used then?

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 03:02 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well up here it's on the Space channel so I imagine it should be on your equivalent. It's British but the lead male charactor is either American or Canadian I think. He plays an American astronaut vaulted out of time and space.

You'd love it I would think. Several strong female charactors.

Oh Erin the Peacekeeper. A hardened warrior on the outside, but inside vulnerable and passionate. That's for me I mean.

Sadly, it's on its final year.

--------------------

"Strength and Honour"

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 03:21 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:

No, I never have played any of them. What did you do in them? Attack the Death Star or....you know....what were they like? The only thing that I can imagine is that energy management in outer space is probably not a big issue in a dogfight. Otherwise...are they worth buying used then?

If I remember right, X-wing was one of the first games where you could interact with your AI wingies. There is a kind of energy management; literally. ou only had so much energy to allocate to ships systems, engines, screens and weapons, so getting the best out of your ship at any given time meant constantly juggling with the energy allocation.

There were three campaigns; the first ends with the death star trench run, the other two with the Alliance running like the bejeezus to avoid the wrath of the Empire The campaigns were linear; you had to succeed in one mission before moving on to the next.

A multiplay version; X-wing V Tie fighter came out, and added multiplay to the series, but by the time I had a computer with the moxie to play online, interest had faded.

Still, good games if you can find them, though I think they have problems running under modern Video cards.

--------------------

4013+

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 03:24 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only thing that I can imagine is that energy management in outer space is probably not a big issue in a dogfight.

Actually it is very well done. Much more plausible than others, although I haven't played others for quite some time. Although you "warp" from zone to zone for long distance travel, but combat speeds are WW2 or Korean War jet era speeds, 200-300-500 kph that you don't instantly accelerate to.

A good training secessions you must pass to start, but it's a good thing. It ain't easy.

My only gripe, the same gripe I have for all these space games, movies or space shows, you still have to pull lead on your target in hard turns, even at 100 metres, with your laser/phaser/photon/partical beam weapon. How many times have we seen Kirk or whomever, dodge a phaser type weapon? Could they have done as well dodgeing a 38 special?

--------------------

"Strength and Honour"

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 03:27 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Well up here it's on the Space channel so I imagine it should be on your equivalent. It's British but the lead male charactor is either American or Canadian I think. He plays an American astronaut vaulted out of time and space.

Oh Erin the Peacekeeper. A hardened warrior on the outside, but inside vulnerable and passionate. That's for me I mean.

Sadly, it's on its final year.

I think it's actually made in Oz; Yeah, I think Donster would love it, Especially Tiana

In its last year, eh? That's a bummer. Kind of breaks the mould. John Crighton is definitely not Starfleet material!

--------------------

4013+

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 03:31 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The only thing that I can imagine is that energy management in outer space is probably not a big issue in a dogfight.

Actually it is very well done. Much more plausible than others, although I haven't played others for quite some time. Although you "warp" from zone to zone for long distance travel, but combat speeds are WW2 or Korean War jet era speeds, 200-300-500 kph that you don't instantly accelerate to.

A good training secessions you must pass to start, but it's a good thing. It ain't easy.

My only gripe, the same gripe I have for all these space games, movies or space shows, you still have to pull lead on your target in hard turns, even at 100 metres, with your laser/phaser/photon/partical beam weapon. How many times have we seen Kirk or whomever, dodge a phaser type weapon? Could they have done as well dodgeing a 38 special?

Babylon 5 had that pretty much sussed, at least in the first series. Later on they lost the plot as far as realistic movement in space went.

--------------------

4013+

tazfoster
Member # 9369

posted 02-03-2003 03:46 PM     Profile for tazfoster     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
It's British but the lead male charactor is either American or Canadian I think.

I don't think it is British, I think it is Australian.

As for Star Wars. I was disapointed by Episode One and also Episode Two until the last 45 minutes and then I loved it. Looking forward to Episode Three now, The Clone Wars could be a cracker.

Posts: 301 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gonzo.
Member # 9435

posted 02-03-2003 03:54 PM     Profile for Gonzo.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never like it. I was a Trekker long before.

Stag:
Yes, X-Wing was a great game, You must try Descent:Freespace and Freespace 2. More Navy guys must try the first Independence War.

I am a big sci-fi fan. Babilon 5 was good, at least the few I saw, until they began with the time travel stuff, the bane of sci-fi. Enterprise is on its first season here, great show, it reminds me of the original series. There are a couple of interesting shows, sadly I can't see them often.

Posts: 450 | From: Huatusco, Ver. México | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 03:55 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's actually made in Oz;

Oh ok. Hard to tell accents sometimes. I don't pay attention to the credits.

Tianna and Donster LMAO.

It's atleast the last season on my station. Last week they were finally victorious (???) and were going their separate ways. But then Maura (sp?) and some of the others slipped into a wormhole. Now what?? Several times I thought I'd seen the last show, but nooo, not yet.

Yeah John is different. Typical yank . But then, he's the alien. Humans being unknown in that time and space.

B5 is another tv series that took me awhile to get into, but then just loved it. Unfortunately I was moving away from Edmonton just as the big war was starting. Never did see the last season or two (?).

Never seen the game.

The last time I even saw a space game X-Wing vs Tie Fighter was just due to come out. The last space game I had was that Wing Commander thingmie. 5 CD's. Movie + game. What ever happened to that idea?

--------------------

"Strength and Honour"

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-03-2003 04:15 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhhh. Nope; there's another series after that. We're just watching it now. No, I'm not giving out any spoilers.

--------------------

4013+

Jennifer
Member # 4588

posted 02-03-2003 04:39 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

No, I like female characters to be meek and mild. Like me. heh.

My sisters name is Erin. She's not much of a warrior though. As a matter of fact she screamed rather shrilly just last night when a mouse ran from one side of the basement to the other while she was doing her laundry. I thought she might be watching one of the old "Friday the 13th" movies at full volume, but no, she produced that crystal-shattering tone herself. I never knew she had it in her. It boggles the mind the things that people under stress are capable of.

--------------------

Escadrila54.com

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-03-2003 05:12 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, but all of them have fairly well developed roles to play.

...she produced that crystal-shattering tone herself.

LOL, there's a relatively new charactor, can't remember her name, that does exactly that. You spook her and and glass breaks, control panels explode etc. You're lucky to survive it if you're in the same room. Apparently a survival technique not unique to just one species.
Your sister wouldn't happen to have flaming red hair would she?

--------------------

"Strength and Honour"

HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 02-03-2003 06:16 PM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"TIE Fighter" still rates as one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

--------------------

EK16_Krieghund
Erprobungskommando 16

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gonzo.
Member # 9435

posted 02-03-2003 10:36 PM     Profile for Gonzo.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Ahhhhh. Nope; there's another series after that. We're just watching it now. No, I'm not giving out any spoilers.

Andromeda?

Posts: 450 | From: Huatusco, Ver. México | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stag
Member # 9549

posted 02-04-2003 02:04 AM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Farscape.

--------------------

4013+

tazfoster
Member # 9369

posted 02-04-2003 06:08 PM     Profile for tazfoster     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My wife has flame red hair. She ain't squeamish either. She is a mortician.
Posts: 301 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.