my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » Yes, War Looms On The Horizon

Author Topic: Yes, War Looms On The Horizon
Donster
Member # 196

posted 01-31-2003 02:58 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reposted from the front page of ehowa.com:

Okay, with the recent State of the Union address, the UN's preliminary report on Iraq, Saddam telling us he's going to kick our ass(again), the French wetting their beds like a bunch of pansies, and Sean Penn yammering about peace I feel inclined to speak out a bit here.

First to all the f**king yahoos who say, "it's a war all about oil." Oh c'mon will you take your blinders off and quit gossiping around the f**king water cooler so much? Is oil involved? Sure it is, and you had better be glad it is too. We as consumers piss and moan every time the pumps jack up the prices ten measly cents. Let's say the average car in America is the good ol Ford Taurus, which has an 18 gallon tank and we fill it once a week. So we're getting our panties in a twist over an extra $1.80 a week? An extra $2.00 maybe? That's less than $10 a month -- skip one of those Friday night pizzas and call it even, fat boy. But no, ten cents is worthy of evening news broadcasts and internet boycotts.

But what if gas jumped $1.00 a gallon because Iraq decided they didn't want to sell us any more oil. And a few other OPEC countries do the same because Saddam threatened them with a chemical attack if they didn't comply. One dollar a gallon more. That's $18 a week and over $70 a month. That's a phone bill. An heating bill. Groceries. Car repairs so you can get to work. A trip to the doctor for a sick kid. One of which you'd have to do without, all because shithead over there decided to thumb his nose because he doesn't play well with others. And it snowballs from there. Have to fly across the country last minute for a family emergency and think the $1,200 ticket price you're facing now is high? What do you think the airlines are going to charge you when they have to pass along the higher fuel prices for a jumbo jet that takes 50,000 gallons of fuel to top off? Maybe so much you can't afford to fly home? How much more will shipping charges be when delivery companies start charging more? Or maybe your city will be forced to cut your kid's school's budget to pay for the increased cost of gas to keep police cars and ambulances running? The impacts are limitless.

Is oil one of the reasons we have to kick his ass? You bet it is. Bottom line is we're the most technologically advanced country on the world and like it or not we need our go-go juice. By hook or by crook. Unless any of you hippies are volunteering to relive the 1970's chapters of our history books and their five mile long lines to the gas station...? I didn't think so.

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 01-31-2003 03:52 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An Update of a Popular Oldie:

One, Two, Three,What are we fightin' for?

Well, come on all of you big strong men,
The Family Bush needs your help again.
Got himself just a bit off track.
Wants to go start a war in Iraq.
Lace up your boots and pick up a gun.
We're gonna have a whole lot of fun.

(chorus)
And it's One, Two, Three,
What are we fightin' for?
Don't ask me I'm not comin' back.
Prob'ly gonna die in Iraq.

And it's Five, Six, Seven
Open up the pearly gates.
Well shut your mouth and don't ask why.
Whoopee! We're all gonna die.

(second verse)

Well, come on Exxon, Don't be slow.
You bought this war. Now go, go, go.
You wanted to drill on foreign soil.
And it's no big thing to trade blood for oil.
Just tell us we're doing it to make them free.
Just like WE used to be.

(repeat chorus)

Well, don't confuse George with the facts.
Cheney's planned out all three acts.
Bush says we've got to get that Saddam
'Cuz he interferes with Poppy's plan.
And while Ari Fleischer talks and talks,
You're kid comes home in a box.

(repeat chorus)

--------------------

Check six & aim for the cockpit.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it. ."-- Edward R. Murrow

He who sacrifices freedom for security is neither free nor secure" - Ben Franklin

“I believe that freedom of speech should not be so abused by some that it is not exercised by others because of fear of smear. I believe we must not become a nation of mental mutes blindly following demagogues. I believe that we should never become mental mutes with our voices silenced because of fear of criticism of what we might say.” -— U.S. Sen. Margaret Chase Smith, R-Maine, 1950, Declaration of Conscience Speech

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
cobraj
Member # 459

posted 01-31-2003 05:32 PM     Profile for cobraj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh heh Donnie said shithead heh heh heh heh

--------------------

"Remember..No man is a failure who has friends..."

Posts: 2367 | From: pahked just outside of Boston | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JClark_1
Member # 9528

posted 02-01-2003 04:28 AM     Profile for JClark_1     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oil...sigh...Anyone actually do any research on where the oil the US uses comes from? Or how it's used? How about that our top suppliers are Canada and Mexico? How about the enormous amount of oil, a substantial percentage, that goes to heating and electricity production? Or the production of many plastics?

How about, if we wanted the effing oil, all the eff we would have to do, is blockade the bloody damn Straights of Hormuz? Wouldn't be a soul to stop us, or even slow us down. Is it possible, just barely possible, that the President and his team KNOW something we don't? Is it just possible that the President really believes that there is a clear and present danger? Is it just possible that he IS an honest and decent man? Or are certain individuals so wrapped up in politics and party platforms, that all they can resort to is innuendo and slander? I don't care that you disagree with his politics or views...but a good deal of what is said here about President Bush is just plain wrong...not un-American, not treasonous, just plain wrong.

And Mane? President Bush is the LEGALLY elected President of the United States, as affirmed by the Supreme Court. Get a life, and get over it.

--------------------

Byron Audler,
moderator, HULL

Posts: 127 | From: Jacksonville, Fla. USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 02-01-2003 08:46 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I would like to say that I do feel that Saddam is a threat. That he should be taken out. That he is just playing games with the inspectors to gain time. I don't think invading Iraq is just about oil. BUT, the consequences of doing it alone are substantial. Should we give the inspectors more time. HELL NO! I feel in the next 3-4 weeks, the coalition will gain members and the US & Britain won't be going alone.

My views on Pres. Bush? Well, lets say I would rather he be in office now then
Clinton or Gore. Do I think he is a great leader? No. I'm thankful that he has some good people working around him.

JClark_1, I hope you are not to upset with me, I just tried to show another persons view here in this thread. And NO ONE is immune to the wrath of Donster!

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JClark_1
Member # 9528

posted 02-02-2003 08:57 AM     Profile for JClark_1     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donster:

My views on Pres. Bush? Well, lets say I would rather he be in office now then
Clinton or Gore. Do I think he is a great leader? No. I'm thankful that he has some good people working around him.

JClark_1, I hope you are not to upset with me, I just tried to show another persons view here in this thread. And NO ONE is immune to the wrath of Donster!

A few years ago, I told my general manager I could not do his job....I didn't have the specialized knowledge that he had. He told me, at his level of management, I didn't need to...but I BETTER know how to hire and manage those who did.

And Donny, I'm not in the least upset with you..and even less worried about the "wrath of Donster"

--------------------

Byron Audler,
moderator, HULL

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 02-02-2003 02:24 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JT,

If by chance you ever get to Washington DC, you might want to take a visit to the National Archives. There you'll find a couple of documents that make interesting reading. One is something called the Consitution of the United States, the other is the Bill of Rights.

Now if you take a gander at these here thingmies, you'll notice that the first starts off with the words "We the People". What that's all about is that you, me, and ALL our fellow citizens give our CONSENT to be goverend, not the other way around. Next you might happen to notice that something called "Congress" has the SOLE right to decare war, not the President. There's a few other things there about elections, the Electorial College, and etc. However NOTHING about the Supreme Court DECIDING who won the Presidency. Guess the Founding Fathers missed that one, eh?

But to my mind the best thing about these two documents: Each and every one of us Citizens of the United States has the Right (and to my mind the duty) to speak, write, express, shout, rant and/or rave his or her own opinion about how he/she feels the government that we have given our constent to is doing.

Now you say George W. Bush was elected. Fine, that's your right. But it's just as much as my right to say he was SELECTED.

Get over it, sure. But forget it, never!

Oh and as for getting a life ...... I have one, a very nice one now. I don't have to punch a time clock, or worry about a 3 AM phone call that requires me to get out of bed and drive 40-50 miles thru a blinding snowstorm to fix a computer or two in order to keep a paper mill running. I don't have to think about department budgets, project schedules, or interdeprtmential meetings anymore.

Why? 'Cause I'm A retired old fart, that's why!!!!!!!

--------------------

Check six & aim for the cockpit.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it. ."-- Edward R. Murrow

He who sacrifices freedom for security is neither free nor secure" - Ben Franklin

“I believe that freedom of speech should not be so abused by some that it is not exercised by others because of fear of smear. I believe we must not become a nation of mental mutes blindly following demagogues. I believe that we should never become mental mutes with our voices silenced because of fear of criticism of what we might say.” -— U.S. Sen. Margaret Chase Smith, R-Maine, 1950, Declaration of Conscience Speech

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JClark_1
Member # 9528

posted 02-02-2003 04:51 PM     Profile for JClark_1     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mane, I said "legally elected", not "legally selected". The vote in Florida was affirmed by the Florida Secretary of State, as she and her counsel were directed by law to do, the Democratic Party contested this decision, thus attempting to invalidate a legal process, it went to the Supremes, who made a decision in favor of the actions taken by the State of Florida, and thus, the vote was given to the government. Now, if the Democratic party had been successful in invalidating the vote in Florida, and had gotten the Supreme Court to go along, and had gotten Al Gore elected, then THAT, Mane, would have been a selected President.

Quick question for you..do we have a democratic form of government?

--------------------

Byron Audler,
moderator, HULL

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 02-02-2003 07:36 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quick question for you..do we have a democratic form of government?

Oooo now there's a topic for its very own thread, and would be quite interesting.

But the first task would be a good definition of "... a democratic form of government?"

For instance, if we mean a pure democracy, ala Athenian (taking into account its definition of citizen at the time), my quick short answer (though I'm not American) is no. None exist on the planet at this time. Nor do I think I would want it.

--------------------

"What we do in life, echoes in Eternity"

"Strength and Honour"

"At my signal, unleash Hell"

Posts: 3945 | From: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.