my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » Book Review-Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Author Topic: Book Review-Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 01-13-2003 04:36 PM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Catch-22 on steroids. That's the long and the short of it-you will laugh, you will cry, you will re-examine your life.

I am simply amazed that a human being can string this many words together in this way.

Really, give it a try.

Here is a link to a FAQ that the author provides.
http://www.well.com/user/neal/cypherFAQ.html

I would not have gone to the trouble of editing this post if I didn't think it was important (that is, enjoyable reading for you, gentle reader).

You MUST just start reading this novel-if you start, you WILL be hooked (or I am a monkey's aunt!).

--------------------

The last thing every pilot does before leaving the aircraft after making a gear up landing is to put the gear selection lever in the 'down' position.

Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 01-14-2003 11:49 AM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like high praise, LJ. I may have to put it in line behind my current read, Tom
Clancy & Chuck Horner's Every Man a Tiger, which seems applicable to these days...

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ed R
Member # 9540

posted 01-14-2003 10:44 PM     Profile for Ed R     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Read it last year. Great story on how Neal captures and keeps out attention by flashing back to WWII with the ancestors of the main character and then back to the present on a treasure hunt. Fascinating work but the ending was a bit surprising and part predictable.

--------------------

"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country."
General Patton

Posts: 16 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady Z
Member # 8459

posted 01-14-2003 11:01 PM     Profile for Lady Z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmh, some parts of it where a tad long, even for a book devourer such as myself. I felt he indulged himself somewhat. But yeah, the guy can write.

It sure is different from what got me hooked on him initialy: Snow Crash. Now THAT was a romp!

Posts: 1840 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.