my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » This Day in WWII 07-04-1940 - 1945

Author Topic: This Day in WWII 07-04-1940 - 1945
Donster
Member # 196

posted 07-04-2002 08:29 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1940: In the House of Commons, prime minister Churchill declares,' I leave the judgment of our actions with confidence to Parliament. I leave it to the nation and I leave it to the United States. I leave it to the world and to history.'

1940: In direct response to the devastating British attack on the French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir, the Vichy French government of Marshal Petain breaks off diplomatic relations with Britain.

1940: German Stukas and MTBs attack a British convoy South of Portland, sinking 5 merchant ships.

1940: Italian bombers raid Alexandria. Italian forces attack from Abyssinia and Eritrea and capture the British outposts of Kassala and Gallabat on the Sudanese border.

1941: In and Independence Day broadcast, Roosevelt warns the American public that the USA 'will never survive as a happy and prosperous oasis in the middle of a desert of dictatorship'.

1941: British Communist Party officially drops peace campaign and backs the war.

1941: Units of Army Group Centre capture Ostrov.

1942: The Germans claim to have pushed the Russians back across the Don along a broad front.

1942: For the first time, 6 Bostons of the USAAF's 15th Bombardment Squadron were combined with 6 Bostons from the RAF's 226 Squadron for raids on German airfields in Holland. 2 USSAF and 1 RAF aircraft failed to return.

1942: U-boats and Luftwaffe torpedo planes attack Convoy PQ-17 bound for Murmansk.

1943: General Sikorski and several other Polish leaders of the London-based anti-Communist Polish government-in-exile, die in plane crash just after take-off from Gibraltar, which some suspect is the result of deliberate sabotage.

1944: In Normandy, one U.S. division gains only 200yds and six German prisoners for nearly 1,400 casualties.

1944: The Soviet 1st Baltic Front begins an offensive toward Riga, capturing Polotsk and threatening to isolate Army Group North during its fighting retreat from Estonia.

1945: The British 7th Armoured Division, ‘The Desert Rats’ enters Berlin to establish the British sector.

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.