my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » WWII Online: Blitzkrieg   » The real deal

Author Topic: The real deal
rexrock
Member # 9191

posted 03-11-2002 07:23 PM     Profile for rexrock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WWIIOL is the real deal. It's won readers choice awards for best combat sim from 2 major gaming websites. It's server has a healthy PAYING population. CRS is NOT going to fold.

I had to take a break from the game because I was simply burnt out on it. I started playing again about 3 weeks ago and now I'm addicted again. There is nothing out there like it.

I just hate to see people dismiss it because it was released way too early. The game has come a long way. Ther isn't a Tank sim that compares, and indeed, there isn't any game that has even tried to create the virtual battlefield.

The latest revisions have fixed most of the major problems. I really hope to see some of you in game, because you really seem to like sim's and this is the ULTIMATE sim.

If you call me a fanboi, I've been called worse.

--------------------

rexrock

Posts: 12 | From: Magnolia, Arkansas | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 03-11-2002 07:47 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rexrock,

Just in case you, or any one else, was wondering, we will have another review of it very soon.

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
rexrock
Member # 9191

posted 03-11-2002 09:52 PM     Profile for rexrock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll keep my eyes open for it.

And yes, I was wondering. heh

--------------------

rexrock

Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 03-11-2002 09:59 PM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you like it Rexrock.
Did they ever get the flag bugs taken care of or supply in? I was reading the forum over there the other day. I played the game for several months and had not been keeping up with it for awhile. Seems like alot of people were still griping about CTD's.

--------------------

Eat more Possum :)

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rexrock
Member # 9191

posted 03-12-2002 12:13 AM     Profile for rexrock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a CTD about once every 12 times I play. Not often. It doesn't detract from my gameplay experience. It may bug the hell out of you, though.

If you mean supply as in not being able to spawn tanks when your town doesn't have a direct link to the supply lines, yes it is.

If you mean in-field supply, no.

If you mean being able to bomb a factory in Brussels and it limiting supply in let's say, Dinant, no.

All tanks are limited. Some more than others. you can have 3 non-mission Matilda II's and one extra Mission Matilda per firebase. I think it's similar at the army bases. you can have more s-35's and a-13's than that I think. Char's are limited also. Infantry, trucks, and AT guns are always availible.

If a town is contested, it cannot spawn tanks.

AI USUALLY rebuilds correctly now. It was bugged before and didn't rebuild. Framerates are much better in the air. Attacking an armybase bristling with 20mm flak 30's is very very scary. 20mm AA rounds do a lot of damage to a Blen and they dont' fly well on one engine.

Dropping 8 forty lb boms on a group of them from a blen I is very very fun and makes up for it though. hehe.

I don't quite understand the Blen IV bombsite. It's a wierd piece of machinery. There are instructions on using it in the online manual. I just don't care enough to learn to use it. If I get a good bombadier to multicrew with me, then A Blen IV is a force to be reconed with. An accurately dropped 250 lb bomb or 4 will ruin any axis dOOd's day.

I don't know. Any person that I know that isn't a total crybaby likes the game. It is still possible to get burnt out on it (just like anything). I had to take a breather and step back for a while myself. I came back, though, and love seeing my Close Air Support pave the way for the tank that I'm riding on. It's truly awesome.

As always, they are constantly adding shiznit and fixing bugs. It's a constantly improving beast. I think if they had an opportunity to release this version to the public instead of 1.11 then few people whould have left to begin with. But we would have lost a few even then. The system is complex and DOES NOT always work the way it's supposed to. Even when it does work right, it can piss you off because of a poor design decision. I tired playing a single player wwii sim the other day that I have sitting around (European Air War) and I kept thinking, "This is stupid, None of these machines is piloted by a real person. NONE OF THEM. They don't care that I shoot them down, they don't care that I strafed them, and it doesn't really matter that I did." I have just gotten used to the idea that me attacking a copse of trees or a base or anything that I see on the ground in enemy territory COULD have an effect on the war. Being part of something greater. You can't get that without the persistant world. You can't get that without massive multiplayer. I guess that's the part that I truly like about it.

Man, I am a fanboi. Oh well.

--------------------

rexrock

strider651
Member # 2722

posted 07-08-2002 01:38 PM     Profile for strider651   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With the new 1.64 patch, the days of 1 inf and a truck taking town after town are gone. Now, I've seen entire Brigades focus on one town and get tossed back!

The fighting is much more concentrated and MUCH more intense. It's like a whole new game. Much more realistic, IMHO.

The Axis still have the coolest toys, but I prefer to fight Allied exclusively. Kind of an "underdog" thing, I guess.

Anyways, best MMPORG out there

Posts: 2 | From: Cottage Grove, MN, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
rexrock
Member # 9191

posted 08-03-2002 02:23 PM     Profile for rexrock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, My squad Allied Forces (AF) had to merge with a bigger squad because of the new challenges of capturing CP's. Smaller groups just can't do it anymore and it's hard for smaller squads to coordinate effectively to capture CP's.

New high resolution textures that they are testing in beta look sweet too.

--------------------

rexrock

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.