my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » X-Plane   » Where are the downloads?

Author Topic: Where are the downloads?
LiveOne
Member # 7198

posted 01-03-2001 10:02 AM     Profile for LiveOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello everyone,

I just picked up X-Plane and it is SWEET!!!! I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that have aircraft that you can download. I know they're out there, but I'll be darned if I can find them.

Thanks for any and all help!
Mark

Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 01-03-2001 12:55 PM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LiveOne,

Can you elaborate on what you like about it? It sounds really interesting...but it's strictly no-combat right? I mean, is it impossible to add weapons to these planes? Did you fly the space shuttle?

Zhukov

------------------
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
LiveOne
Member # 7198

posted 01-03-2001 02:21 PM     Profile for LiveOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Zhukov,

I don't know what it is, but it certainly has a grab you by the seat of your pants and won't let go feeling! No, as far I know, you can't add weapons, and there aren't any in the retail version. I guess it's the little things, like:

1) Realistic radio chatter (ATC, copilot)

2) Night textures are amazing. The sky is truely black. And lights on the ground light up in stages, as it gets darker and darker.

3) Rain and snow on the runway are realistically blown behind you when you take off. Even in front of you when you engage thrust reversers! Way cool!

4) Frame rate frame rate frame rate!!!!! Smooth as a baby's butt. And I have a PII 450. Not exactly cutting edge technology!!! LOL

If you like flying airplanes, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Period. There's even a couple of programs included that let you create your own aircraft designs. I haven't tinkered with them yet, but I plan on it. There are many aftermarked planes already available and X-Plane has only been out in the masses for a couple of months. Go to www.x-plane.org and check out the downloads. There is a SWEET Gripen that someone made.

Anyway, hope that helped.
Mark

Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 01-03-2001 03:01 PM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ooooooh! A GRIPEN!!

Thanks for the info, I just might check this baby out!!

Zhukov

------------------
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 01-04-2001 01:30 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, sounds pretty sweet. Hey Zhukie find out if it's possible to get guns on them. I need guns on my planes ya know...naplam would be even better but I'll settle for guns. For now.

------------------
"Go ahead and hate me because I'm beautiful...but I get a lot of action."

- Uttered by Schatt on Kali, 22:36, January 03, 2000

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 01-04-2001 10:04 AM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, there's always the 'shooting spitballs at the computer monitor' approach that we talked about on Kali last night. Although if we started doing that a 'screen refresh' would mean getting out a bottle of Windex.

I'm sure if XPLANE gets really popular, the designer will work in weaponry. Call it a hunch.

Zhukov

------------------

Bruce Knack
Member # 9025

posted 01-06-2001 04:11 PM     Profile for Bruce Knack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everyone:
www.x-plane.org is an excellent place to start looking for planes. X-Plane has actually been out for 3 or 4 years BUT it has only been available via retail for a couple of months.

Avsim: http://www.avsim.com/library/035_X_Plane/

has planes 'n stuff for download as well.

Finally, you might try: ftp.x-plane.com.
UserID: XPLANE
Password: XPLANE

... yes, CAPS DO MATTER here.

I'm not sure if Austin would add weapons to his sim, but you never know! I bought version 5.32 and since then there have been upgrades about every 3 weeks! As of the last upgrade we got the ability to play head to head over the net. Austin also changed his weather integration so that it handles the METAR format (a world wide standard). This means I can finally get weather for Canada.

If you purchase any of the 5.xx release versions (I think the retail one may be 5.42), you are good up to 5.99. After that, you will need to (want to, desire to) shell out for version 6.xx.

Between all the new planes, new scenery from around the world and fairly constant program enhancements, I feel like I paid to ride the ferris wheel and instead have been offered a no holds barred pass to Disney World for the year!

Cheer,
Bruce.

Posts: 1 | From: Guelph, ON, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sam Dirickson
Member # 9189

posted 06-10-2001 09:18 PM     Profile for Sam Dirickson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have had X-plane for 6 months, and X-plane.org is the best site out there for aircraft.
There are no weapons AT ALL but Austin Meyer is thinking about making a new program that does allow weapons. Also, version 6 of X-plane is supposed to be do out soon.

I have 6 aircraft on my website, but the Tornado needs airfoils that are not supplied

--------------------

Sam Dirickson
[email protected]
www.flightsimmers.net/airbase/sdirickson/main/html

Posts: 1 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.