my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Boy, this place died..

Author Topic: Boy, this place died..
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 01-10-2001 12:16 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
looks like i joined up mainly for the articles n reviews...

Kestrel
Member # 6726

posted 01-10-2001 06:38 AM     Profile for Kestrel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's unfortunate. Hope it CombatSim hangs on for a few months--things may change.

------------------
-- Kestrel

Posts: 97 | From: Skokie, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 01-10-2001 09:55 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kestrel,

We plan on being here for many years to come. Whether or not the simming forum masses ever decide to pony-up the few bucks to be here is immaterial to our longevity on the web.

With the subscriber fee each site user is paying his share of the site upkeep so we are fine indefinitely.

As an aside, I just finished reading a post from the day before I imposed the subscriber fee where a fellow said he wasn't going to pay a fee because we made too much money already from the advertising on the site. Ha! We made nothing from advertising except for a few hundred dollars over the last three months. Not enough to come even close to covering the bandwidth and a million miles away from covering the other expenses. I also read somewhere that people thought we got paid by the game companies to write the reviews we write. Is this the general concensus of most gamers on how game info sites operate? If it is they need to start a game site to learn that the reality is not as lucrative as they imagine.

Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent there.

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Kestrel
Member # 6726

posted 01-10-2001 11:39 AM     Profile for Kestrel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Doug,

My guess is that a lot of folks *do* think that game companies pay for the reviews, and if not that, they probably think the reviewers are being handsomely compensated for their hard work. Once upon a time I too reviewed software (for a magazine dedicated to the Radio Shack Color Computer series and a circulation of 64,000). I know what a lot of work a fair and accurate review is, and compensation--if any—is usually token at best.

CombatSim may in part be a victim of its own professional quality: the delivery of its content is very well done. The quality of the information is very good. That may give the impression to some that there are rivers of cash flowing behind each page. And so much on the Internet has been free of charge for so long that users have gotten spoiled; now that the loans are being called in this will undoubtedly change on a wide scale.

If I can offer any advice, it would be not to take this business personally. Business and human nature are what they are, and both have short memories.

------------------
-- Kestrel

Posts: 97 | From: Skokie, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
manbat 01
Member # 9006

posted 01-10-2001 03:45 PM     Profile for manbat 01   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy Double Words Kestrel...

Cheers...

[Admin Note: I removed Kestrel's duplicate post ]

------------------
Manbat

[email protected]

http://web.tiscalinet.it/manbat

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 01-10-2001).]

Posts: 16 | From: Rome, Italy | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 01-10-2001 05:30 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kestrel,

Thanks very much. Yes, I guess we did make it look too easy at times.

No publisher or developer ever paid us or our reviewer for an article and we never asked.

I always kept the banner ad sales separate from the editorial side. I would speak to the game companies marketing people about ads and the reviewers would talk with the developers of the games.

Game company PR staffers were always trying to give us stuff for giveaways, but we always turned those things down because of the work involved and besides, we needed advertising dollars because we paid our writers in money, not freebies.

In fact, I know of very, very few independently-owned sites other than ours that pays its writers in cash and not just in free games.

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Jeroen rep
Member # 5035

posted 01-11-2001 08:12 AM     Profile for Jeroen rep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that combatsim doesn't need a forum to be good, I don't mean that the forum should go away, Oh no!!! but eaven if the forum is quite death the whole site if great, some times there aren't any revieuws becouse there aren't any new games but other times there are so many games out that you can't keep up!! thats wy the site is great, eaven if the forum is a bit death.

and doug, I'm sure that you do not make enough money with the advertisements, i read the article and I also know that you realy don't let the people pay so that you guy's make a lot of monney.

I think that you are honest people and that the monney realy is neaded, so everyone who has to complain is wrong! (I know keeping up a website like this isn't cheap

by! hope you'll stay online!

------------------
"Over and out"
Jeroen

Posts: 77 | From: schagen, Nederland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.