my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Am I spoiled..or what?????

Author Topic: Am I spoiled..or what?????
DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-03-2001 04:00 PM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it just me ? I had been running Jane's WW2F for a while; then for Christmas, one of my Kids bought me CFS2...a nice idea, and a welcome addition of the Old Man's toys...

BUT, now that I've run it for a while, I am hard pressed to say how disappointed I am. What am I doing wrong? The Graphics of the planes just look mouldy....MicroSoft's terrain has never been much..at least my copy of FS2000 looks very unrealistic...but the Planes themselves surely should look better. I am running a Flat Monitor, with 1024 X 768, and WW2F is absolutely stunning.

Maybe the "Game-play" should make up for the LOOKs...but I've a feeling that if Jane's had done this Pacific Theater, CFS2 would have gone begging.

If you know of something I can do, please tell me, as I want to like what I was given.

DM2

Posts: 200 | From: Port Angeles, WA...USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
konky2000
Member # 7792

posted 01-03-2001 10:19 PM     Profile for konky2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Honestly, I don't care that much for CFS2's gameplay.

Flying as an American is very frustrating because all the manual ever says is that success in an American plane depends on flying at a high altitude and using teamwork. Yet, almost every mission in the early campaign forces you to fly a Wildcat with incompetant wingmen and at altitudes that heavily favor the Zero.

What I love is the open nature of the game's development. I love doing things like downloading a fs2k U2 and flying it around the Pacific just for the heck of it.

I think that if you don't get into that aspect of the game, it has a very short shelf life because as a combat simulator, I think it is actually quite limited and it may not be worth much of your time.

Posts: 11 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
colt51
Member # 8207

posted 01-04-2001 03:02 PM     Profile for colt51   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Delta...

Here is something to cheer you up. I agree with you completely about every aspect of this sim.

I have P3 660, 192 MB PC 100 RAM, GF2 Ultra card (latest drivers), win98 se, dx8 and Sony Trinitron E400 monitor which I run at 1024x 768 at 32 bit and 100MHz refresh rate.

The plane look muddy, the wingmen are dead stupid, and planes do not handle at well. Along top of that the frame rates are very slow even if I have quite a good of system here.

You want a beautiful sim that I am now playing ever since I bought it, is B17 2 The Mighty 8th. It has still some bugs in it, but it is awesome. I love it.

chingaman
Member # 3657

posted 01-05-2001 09:38 PM     Profile for chingaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it looks pretty good

Posts: 47 | From: chicago | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-06-2001 01:57 PM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now, THOSE ARE pretty pictures, for sure! I never see anything like that on my screen. I am running a Basic H/P 6635, with 192 MB RAM, and a ViewSonic VG150 Panel...and my pictures in Janes, FU3, and GrandPrix Legends are absolutely striking!

I'll just write off "Frame Rate"...Two OTHER things I find really annoying: (1) I cannot find a way to stand off and look at my plane AND the target, behind it, ala WW2F, from any angle (A "Situation" View). (2) If I don't keep the "labels" on, I can hardly find/see the target planes...if I DO keep them on, the sky is terribly cluttered.

I learned a long time ago it is infinitely easier to criticize than to offer an alternate solution...so I guess I'll opt for keeping it on the H/D for political reasons, and fly something else.

Thanks for the input Fellers...

DM2

Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 01-07-2001 04:52 PM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DM2, hmmmm. I can only guess that there is something awry/wrong with your system/settings. I really don't care for this sim an awfully lot (campaign goals, wingmen, etc.), BUT the one thing I thought it had going for it was the graphics, especially the aircraft. My experience reflects chingaman's- the planes are exquisite.

Athlon (non T-Bird) 800
128K RAM
V5

Almost everything else-well, not the carrier landings, damage graphics- leaves a lot, IMO, to be desired, but the planes are beautiful. I have noticed that in the campaign that the game will revert back to ugly graphics-there was at least one thread on this subject.

Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-07-2001 06:25 PM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Jugs....Well, you could sure be right, except I don't have a clue of what to do better or different. As I said, WW2F will DAZZLE you...on my screen.

I have noted, on both FS2000 and CFS2 that the basic "load" of the program brings me up with 800 X 600 as top resolution. I have to put an "X" in the box about enabling something graphic, to get the 1024 X 768 to show up, for selection. Do you suppose that could be a factor ? What Resolution do YOU run? The VG150 demands 1024...with that, the screen is the nicest, cleanest, sharpest Video presentation I have ever seen...in a life-time of looking at 'Scopes for a living. With OTHER than 1024....just plain AWFUL !

DM2

Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 01-07-2001 06:53 PM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DM2, looking back on this thread, I don't see you mentioning a graphics accelerator card? What kind of vid card are you running?

I, too, have a flat screen, LCD monitor with a max res of 10xx x 7xx. So it's not as good as a 1600 x "a bazillion", but, as I'v said, the planes are almost photorealistic. I also have WW2 Fighters, but the planes in CFS2 look better (more realistic, more detailed), not that the planes in Jane's look bad! (They don't, they are what sent me on this downward spiral to "broke because I must have the latest hardware to run these flightsims" hell! )

What's your vid card?

Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-08-2001 09:57 AM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Computer is an Basic H/P 6635...with an added 128 MB ram, for a total of 192 MB RAM.
This is an economy rig...the video circuitry is the Intel...shared video circuit, built into the Mother Board. I am running the latest Intel-H/P Drivers. The Video is defined as "up to 11 MB" shared...coming from the RAM....I can easily spare that ! It IS possible to put in an external Video Board...but I have only a PCI socket on the Mother-Board..and PCI only goes up to 16 MB...an improvement hardly worth the $100+.

I have excellent video on all my NON-MicroSoft Sims. Two Janes, FU3, Grand Prix Legends...all look great, with ...decent..frame rates. The only thing I can conceivably wonder about....with FS2000 and CFS2 is that "Enable" something box that I have to "Uncheck" to get 1024 resolution. That may be the Bug.

In all honesty, I may not live long enough to Study FS2000, and with F/A-18, Falcon 4, WW2F....if I NEVER get CFS2 running "right" either...it will only be a loss in the sense that my Kids got it for me as a gift...Hate to see them waste their money (even though they make more than I EVER did!)

Lemme know what you think....I do aprecate your time and effort...

DM2

DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-08-2001 04:28 PM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK....I just cranked up the CFS2 Sim and did some looking. In order to GET to 1024 Res, I must go to Graphics; select advanced settings. Then...there is a line, "Enable Hardware Acceleration"...with a box to the left. As the Sim comes up, there is an "X" in the box...and the highest res available to me is 800 X 600. If I click on (remove) that X, I am shown 1024 as a choice.

DO YOU GET 1024 WITHOUT UNCHECKING THAT BOX !!!

Maybe your Fancy Video Circuit Board permits you to have Both 1024 AND Hardware Acceleration?

DM2

chingaman
Member # 3657

posted 01-08-2001 09:34 PM     Profile for chingaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deltamike2,
If you uncheck the enable hardware accelleration box you will be running in software mode which means it is not using your 3d accellerator....could be why the sim is "very ugly" on your system.

Posts: 47 | From: chicago | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeltaMike2
Member # 6871

posted 01-08-2001 10:19 PM     Profile for DeltaMike2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well...I assume you are correct, and I certainly have no other option....which means that BOTH my MicroSoft Simulators are, for me, TOTAL, WORTHLESS, MISERABLE, @#$ @#$% @#$%ing pieces of JUNK !! Crap...even Sierra...hardly better than a couple guys in a garage...put out a Simulation that is directly selectable to 1024...WITH NO SACRIFICE IN QUALITY !!!

I'll put THIS junk away...maybe some day, before my shakes get worse and I can't run the @#$% mouse, I'll get the kind of Computer that Ding-Dong Gates and company demand I have to run their Super Sims.

UNTIL then....I'll soar like an Eagle, fight like a Hawk, and enjoy like an Old Sailor (I am), these wonderful Simulations produced by Janes, Sierra, Electronic Arts, and Microprose....'cuz THESE are GOOD stuff!!!

As nauseatingly jerked as I am....I am not at all distressed with YOUR help...Thanks for it...no sense bothering with this trash now...

Thanks...honest... DM2 Out of CFS2 (spit)

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.