my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » What Is This ADF lark ?

Author Topic: What Is This ADF lark ?
Wasp
Member # 3002

posted 12-29-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for Wasp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I understand it's some kind of direction finder, but how does one use it and where does one get it from ?
Wasp

Posts: 565 | From: Letchworth, Herts,England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-29-2000 04:06 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can download the ADF/fuel boxes from Flightsim.com. Your plane needs to have ADF equipment in it to use the ADF. Modern planes have this already. The stock planes in CFS2 don't have ADF.
Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wasp
Member # 3002

posted 12-29-2000 06:05 PM     Profile for Wasp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Holliday
er could you expand that a little, please ?
Wasp

Posts: 565 | From: Letchworth, Herts,England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-29-2000 07:03 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ADF is usually included in the radio stack of modern aircraft. It consists of a radio receiver to pick up the signal, and a dial on the dash that points to the ADF (assuming you are within range). Your typical WWII fighter plane doesnít have a radio stack, so you wonít find it in your Corsair. If you intend on using a stock CFS2 plane, you might consider getting the CFS2 GPS, which has all the stock airfields programmed into it. You can get it at Flightsim.com. The ADF/fuel box add-on is still worth getting even if you donít use the ADF. The ability to refuel is very helpful. As far as the GPS goes, it comes with a panel update for the Corsair, and it is really not too hard to add it to any plane in the game. The GPS has no range limitation, but ADF does, the ADF range is 254k. I would love to help you further, but teaching modern navigation in one post is a bit difficult, particularly when you consider that the bell is tolling for this message board.
Go sign in at: http://pub44.ezboard.com/bsimmersboard so I can continue to help you after the sun rises for the last time on this message board (at least for me).
I have been island hopping all over the Pacific using the GPS and ADF/fuel box add-ons in a variety of planes, including a custom painted Beaver. I am sure that this seems dull to more action-oriented people, but I like it. My longest single flight so far has been from Marcus to Midway, a total of 1561miles. It took seven hours in a Pilatus PC-12 from Abacusí Private Pilot collection, an add-on I highly recommend.

------------------
The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.

Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.