my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » What program is need for repaints? can adobe photoshop be used?

Author Topic: What program is need for repaints? can adobe photoshop be used?
Craze
Member # 8379

posted 12-26-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Craze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have adobe photoshop 6.0 can that be used to do a repaint? i want to make a white george....

anyone here familiar with repaints plz point me in the direction for painting..

Posts: 27 | From: houston TX | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Monk
Member # 8921

posted 12-26-2000 09:14 PM     Profile for Monk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it is any thing like MSPhotoED it can. The process of making a skin is labor intensive so be prepaired. An easier way than starting from scratch or doing lots of hand editing to make a white George is to first open the file using the DXTBitmap utility and then in your photoeditor save the skin as a Black and white jpeg then you open the jpeg and use the color balance section to shift the dark grey color toward white the bottom half of the plane will become washed out don't worry because you will be using another copy of that same file to make the bottom half of the plane. Save the newly white top half (it won't be completely whit yet maybe greyish). Copy and paste the top half of the plane on to the other orginal Black and white skin (you can use MS Paint to do this If you want). Now with some minor hand editing you can eliminate the transition between the two making one white plane. You can then use the orginal color version to get the marking wheels etc. just erase the plane using something MS Paint use the background color as the color you use to erase the plane and save it as a template to overlay the finished white plane. Whew! Who said making a good skin was easy. The hardest part will be making both the top half and bottom half the same shade of greyish white. Once the top and bottom match can be done by opening both in photoshop and comparing by sight (make the top half match the unedited black and white bottom half). You can then color shift the final greyish white skin to be as white as you want then add the overlay (the one with the wheels and stuff) and you done. This explanation assumes you know the basic about MS Paint and Photoshop, hope it helped. For a little more info see my other post here http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum62/HTML/002122.html
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-26-2000 11:10 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just so you will know, Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard in 2d graphic software. It does not get any better. It is the number one choice of photographers, graphic artist, designers ect... The price alone should suggest this. I did the smart thing and bought my copy before I graduated from college; same software, half the price.

------------------
The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.

Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Monk
Member # 8921

posted 12-27-2000 12:07 AM     Profile for Monk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I know about Photoshop I just haven't had a chance to learn how to use it just yet.

[This message has been edited by Monk (edited 12-27-2000).]

Craze
Member # 8379

posted 12-27-2000 01:29 AM     Profile for Craze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i got my 6.0 photoshop off the net cant beat the good bargain that website offering it had.....(free)

yea good program but technical as hell...

thanks for the mini tutorial monk ...even though i gotta go and read that a few more times.....geeZzzzz skin repaints sound so tough now...ive got that dxtbmp program you mention...ive managed to do a "ghetto" paint and made my george blue but its not great and plus i want it to be white!

,...hmmmm well see how this turns out and if i get a product ill post it

Posts: 27 | From: houston TX | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ritt_bear2790
Member # 7005

posted 12-27-2000 03:46 AM     Profile for ritt_bear2790   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I've read online, Photoshop has a manual the thickness of a yellow pages phone book. And it's VERY expensive.

Others who don't have a graphics program yet might wanna try Paint Shop Pro.

U can download the fully functional (60 day before expiring) Demo at www.jasc.com.
I use Psp for making CFS panels, photo stuff, and it comes with Animation Shop which works great for them animated gifs.

If U find Psp version 6.00ev or earlier U can remove it with Norton System Works - Norton Utilites (Click these buttons: Uninstall/Program cleanup/Remove and then find the folder and pooooof). Reboot and re-install. I never got this to work for any versions over 6.00ev.

Also, Psp version 4.14 was the last non-expiring shareware release and it will do textures, panels, etc just as well as PhotoShop or other Psp versions, but it doesn't have the creature comfort features of the higher Psp versions (like a thumbnail browser, some other conveniences).

Use a search engine to find it keywords 'Psp' or 'Psp4'. Higher versions, besides the current one, takes a long time to find - and that's only if someone somewhere has posted it recently.

Tho not as user friendly, there's GIMP. It's real Freeware and can do them textures, panels, etc. too. But it takes some time learning how to drive the dang thing!

Here's the link to the Gimp Download:

http://simviation.com/fsdutilsdesn4.htm

[This message has been edited by ritt_bear2790 (edited 12-27-2000).]

Posts: 11 | From: Somewhere South of Here USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.