my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » 244 new airfields.

Author Topic: 244 new airfields.
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-23-2000 02:34 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve McClelland has added 244 new airbases all over the Far East including bases in Japan, Philippines, Malaysia, Korea, Vietnam, Brunei, and Taiwan. Most are what you would expect for a WWII airbase but there are several airports with more modern long tarmac runways, just in case you want to tour the area in a Lear. All have ADF and fuel areas. This can be downloaded from: http://www.combatflight.de/7th/

------------------
The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.

Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-23-2000 03:25 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holliday
Thanks for the tip!
Just what I needed

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-23-2000 04:23 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This looks promising. Downloaded it and unzipped it. Read the readme. Question? How does one go about installing it and what's a scenery library? Readme is no help whatsoever. We're not all up to snoof on the lingo of CFS2. I see familiar folders ie; sceneb and texture. Do I just drop the corresponding files into the existing cfs2 folders with these names and then will they show up in the location menu in game??? Thanks in advance.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-23-2000 04:41 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, that's the problem that I have with most of the "readme's". I'd prefer a readme for "dummies" like me where the installation-procedure is described in detail (not some common instructions like "tweak the files names, you know what I mean )
Anyway, I'll try these, let's see if the instructions are detailed enough for me (Thx Holliday).

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-23-2000 05:20 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is the correct path for the initial installation: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\FarEast Inside the FarEast folder should be the scenery and texture folders that came with the zip. Now, start the game, click on Settings. Click on Scenery Library (bottom of the screen). Now click Add Area. Locate the above path (click on the FarEast folder in the Scenendb folder). It should locate the full correct path for you, but make sure it is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\FarEast\scenery It should also name the area for you (FarEast), but you can type it in if necessary. Click OK, the FarEast area should be #1 in the list of scenery areas. Close out of all this and shut down the game. You canít go straight to your new airports without restarting. Post here if you have trouble. I suspect the reason Steve did not include this in the readme is the fact that the game has been out for a while now, and the installation of scenery has been covered to mind-numbing extent. It is also the very same process that all of Microsoftís flight sims use.

------------------

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-23-2000 05:28 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As usual, the readme wasn't "very" helpful. But I did figure it out. Here's the "whow to do it":
Unzip the files where-ever you want (I store my files in a folder called "CFS2-Add-Ons", means I d/l the files directly to this folder.
Right-click on the zip-file and choose "unzip to blablablabla-folder (a folder with the name of the zip-file).
Start CFS2 and in the main screen, goto "settings" in the lower left corner of the screen. On the next screen, choose "scenery library" left of the "OK" button.
This will take you to another screen with several buttons. Choose "add territory" from the right column. A Windows-window ( ) will pop up.
Goto the folder where you have unzipped the ZIP-file.
In this case, it's *:\*\CFSIIPac1\cfsii\scenedb\fareast\scenery\
There you will see no files. That might confuse you (like me), but don't care about that. Choose "OK"
That's it (the text on the buttons in my description is freely translated from german, so it could be slightly different in the US/UK/whatever-version).
Next time you start a mission (try out with a training mission) you will have far more locations you can start from.
Any questions ?

TBird
P.S.: Merry Christmas

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-23-2000 05:29 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oooops, simultaneous post
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-23-2000 06:05 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't have too much information in this case.
Now that we have taken care of this problem, everyone needs to go to: http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html
Download the R4D-6. This is the Navy version of the DC-3, without question a very historic plane. This has got to be the best add-on plane I have ever seen. The start-up procedure is very cool, and the panels are unreal as are the exterior veiws. This isnít a sleek fighter plane, but if anyone doesnít agree that this is one of the all time coolest planes ever for CFS2 and FS2000 then I am afraid they just donít get it. I would have paid money for this (and I do intend to send a donation).

[This message has been edited by Holliday (edited 12-23-2000).]

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-23-2000 06:08 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK; I think I can follow now. Thanks. I'm used to EAW. Just drop whatever in the eaw folder and it works. No brainer. CFS is a bit more complex. I've printed these instructions. Thanks.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DaBaTT
Member # 895

posted 12-23-2000 06:45 PM     Profile for DaBaTT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WheW!

It's BIG in size I am downloading it now 3003kb
Here is the link> http://www.combatflight.de/7th/download/CFSIIPac1.zip

DaBaTT
=======================================
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlite

Posts: 186 | From: Naples, Fl, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DaBaTT
Member # 895

posted 12-23-2000 07:24 PM     Profile for DaBaTT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Holliday!

I am downloading that R4D you were talking about and it is another whew! It is 23212kb in size, I can't wait till I finally get it so I can check it out.... It is taking me about 13 minutes to download it..

Thanx for the info

DaBaTT

DaBaTT
Member # 895

posted 12-23-2000 07:25 PM     Profile for DaBaTT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Holliday!

I am downloading that R4D you were talking about and it is another whew! It is 23212kb in size, I can't wait till I finally get it so I can check it out.... It is taking me about 13 minutes to download it..

Thanx for the info

DaBaTT

ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 12-23-2000 08:22 PM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey folks rj here....was needin sum advice from ya'll on installation of the aforementioned dc3. will i need the patch that makes ai flyable to run it or no? secondly, i read through the supplied html doc and it describes installation for msfs 2000...what folders do i install this puppy in to fly in in cfs2? hope you can help me out and thanks in advance.

rj

ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 12-23-2000 08:32 PM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey yall...just go done with the dc3 download and reading the documentation.
it describes how to install the plane for msfs2000 but not for csf2. any one of you install this sucessfully? if so where do i install the files to? i would really appreciate the help on this one.

thx,

rj

Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-23-2000 09:44 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are two different versions of the DC-3, one was just released at the url mentioned above for CFS2. It comes as a self-installation and it will automatically install to CFS2. The one for FS2000 will not function correctly in CFS2. Once installed you MUST read the manual or you will never fly the plane.
ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 12-23-2000 11:07 PM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanx for your help...off to dl again...uggghhh

rj

JETninja
Member # 1400

posted 12-24-2000 01:35 AM     Profile for JETninja   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He He...you stole my thunder Holliday!

That's my Squad CO that made that. He'll have a more detailed Payware version of Japan soon....also working on Burma/China for AVG fans. Then it's on to Europe, so we of the NJG7 can claim our rightfull ownership of the night...in CFS2!!!!
www.combatflight.de/7th

Enjoy!

------------------
www.cfsipgames.com

Der Gabelschwanz Teufel!

The Fork-Tailed Devil!

JET

Posts: 174 | From: SoCal, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Valkyrie
Member # 2026

posted 12-24-2000 09:42 PM     Profile for Valkyrie     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOw large is it actually the world in CFS2 ?
Can I , theoretically with unlimited fuel, go from Midway all the way to Japan ? or china, or even europe ?

Posts: 145 | From: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-24-2000 10:19 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About 24,000 miles around the middle, just like the real world. I have flown from Marcus to Midway, in one shot, real time. It took over 7 hours to travel over 1560 miles, almost all of which was autopilot. I have to admit that I neglected my pilot duties and watched an in-flight movie or two. I flew the Abacus Pilatus PC-12, which has a nice long range and can easily land on the short runways in CFS2.

------------------

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.