my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Carrier Takeoff

Author Topic: Carrier Takeoff
XDukeX
Member # 4333

posted 12-23-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for XDukeX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't seem to get a Wilcat with drop tanks off the deck. Well actually I get it off the deck but I would like to keep it in the air afterward. I,ve moved the aircraft back on the deck and increased the carrier speed to 30. I could use some help here, I'm about ready to give up.
Thanks in advance,
XDukeX

Posts: 52 | From: Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cas141
Member # 5488

posted 12-23-2000 02:38 PM     Profile for Cas141   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
XDukeX
Sorry I can't help you , but could you help me please. I read somewhere how to move the plane further back on the deck, but now I don't know where to look for it. Can you either point me to the instruction, ortellme how to move the plane
Thanks

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-23-2000 02:58 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
XDukeX,

It could be any one of a number of things you are doing wrong. Try this: Raise your gear the moment you leave the deck. DO NOT PULL YOUR STICK BACK RIGHT AWAY. Let the plane drop slightly to gain some speed. Then SLOWLY try and get some altitude.

Cas141,

Go into the 'CFS2\Ships' folder. Open the 'ship.cfg' file for each carrier. Look for the line "takeoff_start=XXX". Change the '-50' value to between '-80' and '-100' and you will now start farther back on the deck. Careful, as -100 may be too far back for the smaller Japanese carriers. I find that '-80' seems to work well for all the carriers.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 12-23-2000 03:03 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go really, really fast, when you get to the end of the carrier deck; fly. No, really, make sure you have full manifold pressure before you let off of the brake. Get the gear up the minute you clear the deck. Experiment with the amount of flap you need to get in the air. More flap means more lift, but less speed at the end of the carrier deck. I take it from you comments that you have already moved the plane back on the deck prior to takeoff, thatís good. This is a matter of technique, so it can be done and you can do it. I have the flap and gear controls programmed to my throttle so I can retract them both when I need to without searching the keyboard for them.

------------------
The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.

Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Speedbrake
Member # 2011

posted 12-23-2000 10:46 PM     Profile for Speedbrake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, here is a way to help. The Mission Builder doesn't let you set wind conditions - a program bug even though they talk about it in the on-line help. However, you can set up a Quick Action setup and then cut and paste the wind data into the mission. This added wind-over-the-deck can help you get airborne along with the 30 knots the carrier makes. Just be sure the wind heading you set up matches the heading of carrier. Also do not use more than 20 degrees of flaps!

Get the data on Nibbio's site under Tips and Tricks.

[This message has been edited by Speedbrake (edited 12-23-2000).]

Posts: 310 | From: Fort Worth, TX USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HawkeyeII
Member # 8769

posted 12-23-2000 11:28 PM     Profile for HawkeyeII   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
#1 no full flaps. one click is ok two is pushing it..hit the gear key when you start engines, the gear will come up when you lift off so you can think about something else, don't hold brakes too long.. but as soon as you start to roll push the stick a little forward to raise the tail, it rolls better on two than on three, and as Avair said don't pull back on the stick.. a little back pressure as it builds up speed and then start raising the flaps..and you will be in the air..

Hawkeye

Posts: 25 | From: S.C. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Smokin256
Member # 7319

posted 12-24-2000 01:58 AM     Profile for Smokin256   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keep in mind that the stock flight models don't model any lift at all from flaps only drag, except in P-38. As has been mentioned in other Threads. So they do no good whatsoever at takeoff. Wells Flight models do Have lift, maybe too much IMHO, I have trouble getting them to settle to the deck when landing, even with only one or two notches of flaps. I haven't heard anyone else mention this problem though so it may just be my technique (or lack thereof) Anyway I hope this helps. Regards Smokin256
Posts: 10 | From: Sandy Or. USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cas141
Member # 5488

posted 12-24-2000 05:01 AM     Profile for Cas141   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aviar - thanks for the info
Smokin- No way should you be trying to settle on the deck with one or two notches of flap!
One or two notches of flap on any plane should give you lift; full flap gives you drag and is used for landing.

Wingman
Member # 5671

posted 12-26-2000 11:35 AM     Profile for Wingman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try 20% flaps, the put on parking brakes, and slowly, remember Slowly, ease up on the throttle and wait for the tail to come up off the ground then release PBrakes.
Posts: 215 | From: Pekin, Indiana, United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flydaddy
Member # 8776

posted 12-26-2000 05:34 PM     Profile for Flydaddy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same problem expierianced. But I got it off finally, 1. Start engine, idle with parking brakes locked. 2. Run up full power, release both brakes and stand on left rudder( aircraft will swing right if you dont)Let her leave the deck drop a few feet pull back on stick gradually and climb at less than 100fpm till ias reaches 130 and off you go.
Posts: 12 | From: Geneva NY US | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.