my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Memory

Author Topic: Memory
scliab
Member # 3777

posted 12-22-2000 05:52 AM     Profile for scliab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On Wednesday I added a 256 Mb stick of RAM to my computer bringing my system total up to 384 Mb. I have already noticed an improvement in some missions, eg, the Midway mission. Some time back I remember reading a few tips on how best to take advantage of additional memory. Could someone please refresh mine. Thanks.
Posts: 32 | From: Dover, NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-22-2000 08:41 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi scliab!

To make it simple, I quote:

Mudshark sais in this thread:
http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum62/HTML/000556.html
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
Hi guys'
No sysadmin here just a lowly user!I picked up a nice tip over at the armor section of this forum a while back about ram and it's usage.Using the msconfig utility,go to the system.ini tab,scroll down to the 386ENH folder and in that folder you are going to add the line "ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1" this forces windows to use your physical ram before swapping to your hard drive,since the machine access' ram faster than it access' your hard drive,you should see a performance boost.I tried this several weeks ago and with 256mb ram,I'll say I got a huge boost.
Also, here's a link to a nice graphics controller utility- http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ it's called "powerstrip" and it allows you to change/tweak all manner of things including your agp aperature and it tell you exactly how much memory you are using both video and physical and allows for memory recovery when needed.

My measly .02!

Mudshark
---------------------------------------------

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.