my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Question on Norton Utilities

Author Topic: Question on Norton Utilities
Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 12-20-2000 07:20 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I just downloaded NU. Now what do I run to get the most improved performance out of my PC?

Any information would be helpful.

My system specs are;
Win 98
450 mghtz AMD K-6
256 MB SDRAM
Super 7 Main board
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
TG
Member # 3641

posted 12-20-2000 10:08 AM     Profile for TG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You DLed NU?
From where may I ask?

Posts: 359 | From: SOmerville, NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 12-20-2000 10:28 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably out of China somewhere!!! LOL --
Posts: 141 | From: San Ramon, CA. USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Reeves Ethan
Member # 2171

posted 12-20-2000 10:39 AM     Profile for Reeves Ethan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can download a trial version of NU that will function for 30 days:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-100-2877987.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-5.2877987

[This message has been edited by Reeves Ethan (edited 12-20-2000).]

Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 12-20-2000 10:40 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea it's the 30 day version and completely legit.

Now how do I use it??

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 12-20-2000 11:14 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok 1st? do a clean defrag of your hard drive.

Then right click "my computer, properties,performance, file system<--- set typical role to network server in the hard disk applet,

in floppy applet uncheck that box, in the cdrom applet max out the supplemental cache

in the graphics applet set hardware acc. to full, now go into the virtual memory applet.
the usual settings are 2 1/2 x "physical ram" amount.

ie. 2 1/2 x 128 megs= yadda yadda yadda.

click "set my own virtual memory settings..." set min and max to same values.
Click ok, and you will be prompted to reboot, do this. After you are at desktop again, use Nortons speeddisk to defrag and optimise swapfile... and you will see your permenant swapfile get moved to the front of the hd.
Go into device manager and see that your hd and cdrom have "DMA" boxes checked as well.
Hope this helps. <S>

One more thing, go to www.entechtaiwan.com and d/l PCIlist. Click it when you get it and check to see if your super 7 agp is really running at agpx2.

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 12-20-2000).]

Geodude
Member # 7524

posted 12-20-2000 07:42 PM     Profile for Geodude   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before you defrag/optimise, run Fast & Safe Cleanup in the CleanSweep folder, and WinDoctor and Optimization Wizard in the Utilities folder, THEN defrag.

It's a GREAT system maintenance program.

You might also want to update drivers and other software before doing the full defrag, by using Norton Web Services (you can also update without Norton by going to catchup.cnet.com or updates.zdnet.com).

Posts: 20 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
libor
Member # 7986

posted 12-21-2000 03:28 AM     Profile for libor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Be careful Barkhorn1x, I was also greedy to improve my PC performance with NU. I ran SpeedDisk program and it screwed up my Windows 98 completaly. I had to reinstall everything and was silly enough to make another attempt. The same result! Then I threw the disk with NU out of the window... and am ready to kill anyone who would even mention NU to me
Posts: 9 | From: Czech Republic | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
achyfuzzball
Member # 8808

posted 12-21-2000 04:52 AM     Profile for achyfuzzball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Be very careful when running NU speed disc if you also have a "go back" program. It tends to screw things up
Posts: 2 | From: Maryville, Tenn | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
libor
Member # 7986

posted 12-21-2000 09:17 AM     Profile for libor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I even don't have this "go back" program and it did screw it all up... Grrrrrrrr
Posts: 9 | From: Czech Republic | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-21-2000 12:01 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ive been using the NU demo for a while now, and Ive never had a problem with it. In fact it is a very handy app suite to have around for us pilots.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ivchenko
Member # 8791

posted 12-21-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for Ivchenko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
libor identified a problem I had - and I agree with him

achyfuzzball seems to have identified the cause.

after my reinstallation(s!!) NU is coming nowhere near my machine!

achyfuzzball
Member # 8808

posted 12-21-2000 05:38 PM     Profile for achyfuzzball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do not have any "go back" program but a friend of mine does. He had the same problem with NU when he installed and ran it. He went as far as installing a new hard drive, thinking this was his problem (lucky it was still under warranty). This did not fix it, so he called his computor company. They told him that after clicking speed disc, click properties, select options, select custom, and then select unmovables. Some files associated with "go back" can not be moved, and that is what this speed disc does to make applications run faster. Now what files or folders he selected not to be moved I do not know, but it did fix his. He uses it everyday with no problem. If anyone is interested, please post here and I will find out and let you know.
Posts: 2 | From: Maryville, Tenn | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.