my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Increasing carrier speed in campaigns?

Author Topic: Increasing carrier speed in campaigns?
Red Hand
Member # 2428

posted 12-18-2000 08:30 AM     Profile for Red Hand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps I'm alone, but I can't successfully launch a Wildcat off the deck when the carrier is doing 20 knots (and I'm carrying drop tanks.) Is there a way to tinker with the carrier speed in the campaigns? All I ask is for 10 more knots. Thanks for any advice.
Posts: 9 | From: St. Paul, MN USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Red Hand
Member # 2428

posted 12-18-2000 08:33 AM     Profile for Red Hand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and I'm using Wells 1.9 fm.
Willem
Member # 6591

posted 12-18-2000 09:56 AM     Profile for Willem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you already tried this but another way is to change the start position;
Look in the ship.cfg of the carrier;

[flight_deck_section]
takeoff_start=0,21,-50

change 50 to 80 to start further back on the deck.

Posts: 73 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-18-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Willem:
Maybe you already tried this but another way is to change the start position;
Look in the ship.cfg of the carrier;

[flight_deck_section]
takeoff_start=0,21,-50

change 50 to 80 to start further back on the deck.

Thats right, because taxiing back to the fan-tail got old really fast!

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPANKY
Member # 1063

posted 12-18-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for SPANKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy !! yes you can change the carrier speeds, i managed to figure it out once, but at this present moment i can't tell you exactly how, you'll have to use the mission builder and figure out the mission name open it up in the mission builder i beleive you have to click on the carrier on the map and where you mess with the waypoints you can change the carrier speeds.you'll have to figure this out for every mission though,try the back of the plane thing it'll work
Posts: 68 | From: parksville b.c. canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 12-18-2000 10:51 AM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same problem here, my cure is that I don't take 100% fuel but 70%. Cowl flaps open, flaps 20, slowly revving up while "standing" on the brakes.

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-18-2000 12:26 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Both solutions will work. You can increase the speed of the carrier in the mission builder. The only problem is that you have to edit each individual mission. Changing the starting position on the carrier also works. I would try this one first. Much less time involved.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-18-2000 12:40 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can do it as Willem stated (I don't know if it works for all heavely armed planes) or open the missions in the mission-builder (it's some work to find the right ones).

Surch the carrier where you start from (zoom in to locate it) and mark it by clicking on the carrier-symbol on the map.

On the left side of the screen you will see 3 cards. Choose the "route"-card. On the lower part of the card you will see the carrier's speed. Increase it to 30knts (I think that is the max. speed).

While you've already opened the mission, check the skills and aggressivenes of your wingies and increase the values (I'm not shure, but one of the values is probably determined by some ingame-campaign routines, but I also think it does nor harm if you set the two values to max).

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-18-2000 02:24 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And one more suggestion....
(I think you got'em all now)
Add wind to your mission.
Check nibbio's website how to do this.
This is probably the most cumbersome suggestion. But it also works.

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Red Hand
Member # 2428

posted 12-18-2000 02:34 PM     Profile for Red Hand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help -- actually it's nice to see I'm not alone. Carrier launches are a challenge. I am already using the fix that puts my plane farther back on the deck. I might try less fuel. Or -- sigh -- edit individual missions. If all else fails, I could revert to the original FM. I assume it's easier, though it's been so long I don't remember.
Essel
Member # 8011

posted 12-18-2000 06:10 PM     Profile for Essel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is...
Posts: 34 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
kverdon
Member # 347

posted 12-18-2000 06:24 PM     Profile for kverdon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Red,

I too had an impossible time getting a F4F off a Carrier with 1.9. Tried everything I know, uppped the carrier speed, set myself at 99% back of the carrier, different flaps, the works and I still ended up in the drink. I went back to 1.6. If you can get off the carrier with 70% fuel and people really think 1.9 is worth it, maybe I'll give it a go.

Kevin

Posts: 145 | From: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 12-18-2000 06:57 PM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Using the 1.9 FM and a starting position of -60 instead of -50 I manage to take off 9 out of 10 times with the Wildcat (cowl flaps open, flaps 20, canopy open) that appears to be the most difficult bird to start. 70% fuel with externals attached always brought me home safely so far, just make sure that you set the tank-selector to one of the externals right after takeoff.

Try to calculate fuel consumption prior to mission starts and don't take more "luggage" with you than neccessary.

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
TG
Member # 3641

posted 12-19-2000 08:29 AM     Profile for TG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if the timing of the takeoff has any beneficial effect.

I notice the deck pitches and I try to time My takeoff so that Im going over the side just as he deck is pointing up as high as it can go.

IF taking off is so difficult with the Wells FMs would it not be logical to assume something is in need of an adjustment?

Posts: 359 | From: SOmerville, NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-19-2000 09:05 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A short field take-off trick I'm fond of is to keep flaps retracted for as long as possible, then drop them quickly to take-off setting right before you hit rotation speed. The lift kicks in almost immediately, while you've avoided most of the drag for the initial run-up.
Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.