my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » So, ya wanna be a test pile-it?

Author Topic: So, ya wanna be a test pile-it?
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-16-2000 08:09 PM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After far too many hours of measuring, calculating and scratching my hairy butt I think I've managed to turn CFS2's silly excuse for a B-25 into something that flies like an aircraft. I'm not sure if I left a single flight dynamic variable untainted, but every digit in there is calced from my best efforts at pretending to be an AE goon.

My biggest beefs? In most crates they halve the horizontal stab values (and apply the forces on both sides, I assume) but on none of the twin-tailed birds did they double the control surface values. In the B-25's case, instead of halving the horizontal stab they doubled it! The stock FM thinks it has a 40-plus-foot span back there! No wonder I could flip off a loop from the deck and recover. Sheesh. It should be much better now, as in lots less pitch input. It is a bomber after all, dammit. They totally spaced off the flaps. No lift moment, and no drag. They simply did nada when you dialed them in. Not enough drag for the gear, the dynamic axis moments were all a hair too small (based on an incorrect empty weight and the wrong model B-25's length), They had the Cl of the empennage too far back, MAC was close but not right on ... the list goes on and on.

I added a panel, klepped a .bmp I liked from another attempt at one and then made it as close to a B-25D panel's photo as I could. Problem is I had to stick the right-seater's guages in there, too, so some fudging was needed. I used P-38 guages as much as I could to keep the file size down, but a couple simply cried out for something different.

The sound files are to die for. I downloaded them from one of the flightsim sites (I'll credit this stuff properly when I'm ready to "release" it for real) and they're all recordings from real B-25s at airshows. Man, I can never go back to the stock sounds now.

On my to-do list is adding external stores (especially rockets) and make a new 3-D model. Yep, gonna tackle that job too. It's going to go the M$ one a couple of shots better, to include working bomb bay doors and a full 3-D virtual cockpit with working guages. I may ask for some help painting it when I'm done, I'm fair shakes as an engineer but my artwork might as well stick to red crayons and paper bags. ;-)

By the way, this is the USMC PBJ-1D even though it looks like a regular B-25D. There are 12 .50 cals in the front, and three firing to the rear (activated by the cannon trigger). Bomb loadouts are the same as the stock model for now. There is 400 rounds of ammo per gun, mostly in the nose, so it's a bit heavy there at first.

Here is the file, and if you do try it please send feedback to [email protected] It's 1.6 MB in size. Enjoy!
http://home.twcny.rr.com/dysonm/stuff/pbj_1d.zip

Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 12-16-2000 08:57 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sweet, thanks SpinDry!

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 12-17-2000 12:01 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo Spinny ---

Downloaded and installed ur bird --- but I know I am overlooking something real BASIC but I cannot get CFS2 to post the model or generate a .CDP !!!!

Same problem with the Ruptured Duck from AirBuddha....all other planes work fine!!??

Help !!!!! --- Thanks -- BB ---

Posts: 141 | From: San Ramon, CA. USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 12-17-2000 12:53 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doh!!!.... as Fred Simpson would say!!!

I figured it out .. the problem was the gauges folder...not for CFS2! and I know better!!

Got the files in order and it works nice...and wow, what a nice bird and panel!

Now, if we can run that through the new "multi-res" model for CFS2..wow, what a dream machine!!! Always dreaming!!

Just a touch or two on the contact points and it will be perfecto here!!

Thanks Spinny -- nice job... BB ...

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-17-2000 02:56 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, maybe I'm too dumb
I placed the folder *PBJ_1D* in the cfs2\aircraft-folder, cut the gauges-files and pasted them into the the cfs2\gauges-folder.
But the a/c doesn't show in the game.
What am I doing wrong? (BadBooze?)

Thx
TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-17-2000 06:59 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You need to copy the model and texture folders over from the stock B-25D folder. I left them off to keep the download smaller, forgot to include an install readme; mea culpa. Would have been smarter to alias them and make that part of the file. Hey, it was late when I zipped it up.

[This message has been edited by SpinDry (edited 12-17-2000).]

SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-17-2000 07:03 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CC that, BB, I'll be making all my models multi-res. Learning curve is still steep for FSDS but I'm making progress. Have made and ditched several B-25 fuselage sections thus far, each one better than the last. I'm anal about this sort of thing, so it's going to be a while, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait when it's done. In the meantime, enjoy!

Hint: fly the "evict the neighbors" P-38 mission using the PBJ with medium bombs. Fun! :>

bisher
Member # 6678

posted 12-17-2000 07:08 AM     Profile for bisher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
isnt that HOMMER simpson, badbooze?

perhaps a fruedian slip, u were thinking of fred flinstone?

more to the point, thanks for clarifying how to install, u see i am puter iliterate, and my spelling sucks tu!

Posts: 56 | From: brandon, manitoba, canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 12-17-2000 09:01 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah Yes -- Good Morning Troops !!!!

And that is Homer!!! Working too many hours on airplanes --- and don't forget Marge along with Bart's famous line:

Pork is not a verb !!!!

OK, I indeed forgot to be specific about the textures and primary flight model file...those have to be set up by simply copying them over to your new plane directory structure. When I was trying to set the plane up, I was so tired I stared at that derned Gauges folder for hours and did not see it !!!! HAR !!!!

Once those folders are where they belong, the model works fine. I get about 12 FPS on the dirt strips and up to 35 to 40 FPS in the air depending on backdrop -- all that at 1600x1200x16 with GeForce2-GTS here! Really looks pretty in the air !!!

Just about done with a complete rehash of the orignial CFS Spitfire Mark 9 -- completely new file structure for CFS2, new Merlin sound files, new damage model, gun profiles, true Spit performance,etc. Good Zeke killer! -- had been wanting a truly CFS2 Spit (Mark IX) for a long time so finally broke down...all the files are about 5MB zipped...surely not the eye candy of the CFS2 planes, but flies and kills nice -- will be posting it soon I hope when done for any Spit lovers...!!!!

Roger Spinny on the learning process with FSDS and neat to hear about the multi-res modeling -- looks like the wave of the future and hope Abacus finally brings FSDS up to generating "pure" multi-res CFS2 planes -- would that not be the cat's meow!!

OK Marge, coming dear, Doh !!!!

Thanks --- BB ---

[This message has been edited by BadBooze (edited 12-17-2000).]

Jensen
Member # 1726

posted 12-17-2000 10:25 AM     Profile for Jensen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now thatŽs a killerplane! Try antishipping missions they are a blast!
From "Fire in the sky": Rich Larsen of the 345th Bomb Group flying a B25 Strafer " WeŽd go across abreast, wing tip to wing tip....WeŽd sweep the target..everybody was firing their guns.All you could see was a glow of flame about 5-10 feet in front of the plane...Later on I thought, if you were on the ground, or sitting in a plane or in a ship - that it would scare the living bejeezus to see that kind of firepower coming at them "

-------------------------------------

Jensen

Posts: 30 | From: Denmark | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-18-2000 06:52 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, in case you don't poke around panel stuff, I forgot to add the interim panel I did has three other windows. There's one for autopilot and one for radio gear in addition to the engine controls. When I figure out how to hack my own guages I'll make buttons for all of them so you can call everything up from the main panel. There's no ADF guage right now, even though I have the radio gear installed for one, 'cause it's way low on the priority list right now and I want to have full left seat/right seat panels done before I start getting exotic with the non-flight-essential instruments.

Heh. I'm trying to figure how to get the turret and tailgun to swivel slightly in conjunction with elevator and rudder input. Might be beyond my abilities but it's one of the other Rube Goldberg ideas that popped in my head last night as I was flying a wingless torpedo around (my 3D model-in-construction).

When (if) I get the PBJ done my next project is the Douglas A-26B, and then I'll re-visit my fave WWII PAC bird, the P-38 series, armed with what I'm learning on the bombers. I've also got my sweaty paws on a set of plans for the Twin Mustang, and of a SPAD XIII (my personal overall favorite).

They blew it with the MMP and campaign engines on this sim, but the tools for making fun stuff should keep me out of the dumpsters for a while. Enjoy!

Spinny

[This message has been edited by SpinDry (edited 12-18-2000).]

SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 12-19-2000 03:25 PM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The latest version is up:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/dysonm/stuff/pbj_1d.zip

I finished the Spreadsheet from Hell(tm) finally, and can derive most of the important data now from a few basic right-angle measurements. Between measurement error being reduced, and a set of new moment equations and data I recently scored, I re-did the calcs and such and IMHO they have exactly the right feel.

The file is much smaller now, I have it using P-38 sounds. Sorry, just can't see including the fun sound stuff for what's still very much a testbed aircraft, not when the zipfile starts sneaking up on 2MB.

Compared to the stock P-25 -- er, B-25, this one handles like a truck. But, you can still loop it at low level if you start well over 200mph and you're damgood with throttle and flap dancing, and it will wingover nicely from as slow as 180 mph if you treat it right. Level max speed at 13k feet is within 2 mph of the published data. Unless there are huge heartaches with it I'm declaring this flight model done. When I get the visuals finished I'll indulge anyone who thinks this crate is too sluggish by making the PBJ-1J and the A-26B.

This one's still wayfun for low level mud moving, IMHO, but the Flash Gordon version is gone; RIP.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.