my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Probably the scariest moment in a sim so far

Author Topic: Probably the scariest moment in a sim so far
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 12-15-2000 06:13 PM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am still totally struck by the mission I only just survived. Hit pretty badly, I tried to howl the a/c back to a landing strip - I knew it would be impossible to reach the carrier. I had to work on trimming constantly in order to keep her straight enough to maintain some altitude and heading. With the engine sputtering more and more I considered a bailout, but then again wanted to take the challenge of bringing this bird down. So there I was approaching an island, and the beach looked good - I might be able to land there.

All of a sudden the engine caught fire, and it spread out fast, and many little explosions spit their sparks into the cockpit. I could almost smell the burning cables and oil. Luckily it was only oil, and there hadn't been much fuel left. I knew that if I feathered it I would not be able to maintain a stable glide, so I had to keep her running, hoping it wouldn't explode right into my face. The fire kept growing, and I decided to check the gear - the next shock: the right gear would not extend completely, leaving the wheel in a very bad position (20 offset to heading).

Then everything went really fast:

This little sandy path should be my landing-strip! Look at those sparks flying, and how the damaged wheel digs itself into the ground...I had already opened the canopy to be able to escape in case I should survive it

Unbelieveable, but it did neither explode nor turn over!

Those were probably the most intense moments I ever lived through in 15 years of simming. The images can only give you a slight impression...all shook up!

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected] http://www.creadesign.de

[This message has been edited by MeatWater (edited 12-15-2000).]

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
bisher
Member # 6678

posted 12-15-2000 06:18 PM     Profile for bisher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well done MeatWater.

thanks for sharing

bish

Posts: 56 | From: brandon, manitoba, canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crash!
Member # 7653

posted 12-15-2000 06:52 PM     Profile for Crash!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An intense moment for me was in Janes WWII Fighters. Returning from a mission in a Mustang, I was hit by a surprise flack burst. Being startled and then seeing the blood on the inside of the canopy was unnerving. Almost too real.
Posts: 54 | From: Schenectady, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LhW
Member # 7457

posted 12-15-2000 07:33 PM     Profile for LhW   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mine was Pacific Air War . . .

I was flying low, I crested a hill, and FWHAMO! I flew right over an airfield, flak everywhere, it all opened up at once. I survuved, aborted the mission, nd limped back to bse.

Speaking of close calls, in Stephen Coonts' "War In The Air" there is an incredible story of a P47 pilot who makes it back to base over the English Channel after being shot to pieces from point blank range. It is called "Long Flight Home." Awesome.

For the record - I taught his son in middle school (Stephen Coonts - of Flight of the Intruder fame). It is a funny story how I came to the realization it was him!

- LhW

bigbirdk
Member # 1260

posted 12-15-2000 09:41 PM     Profile for bigbirdk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"War In The Air" there is an incredible story of a P47 pilot who makes it back to base over the English Channel after being shot to pieces from point blank range. It is called "Long Flight Home." Awesome.

You said it! That was the FIRST story in that book I read twice!

Posts: 68 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sakamura
Member # 8271

posted 12-17-2000 10:44 AM     Profile for Sakamura   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbirdk:
"War In The Air" there is an incredible story of a P47 pilot who makes it back to base over the English Channel after being shot to pieces from point blank range. It is called "Long Flight Home." Awesome.

You said it! That was the FIRST story in that book I read twice!

Just my $0.02. That pilot was Robert Johnson, now deceased.

Posts: 6 | From: Belleville, Wi | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.