my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » External View Woes!

Author Topic: External View Woes!
Tripod
Member # 8323

posted 12-13-2000 11:02 PM     Profile for Tripod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dunno if I'm alone here, but I often like to fly with the external view. I like to see the plane in relation to the environment, and to other aircraft in formation, etc.

BUT, in the external view mode in THIS game, as all Microsoft sims I've flown, the &^%$ chase view will not remain fixed, rather slowly drifing all over the place! ARGH! I spend too much time flicking the hat-switch all around, trying to orient my view. Other sims like Jane's, the chase view is fixed. I prefer the graphics and gameplay of MS sims, but the damn view drives me nuts!

So, please tell me how you folks overcome this, or even better...is there a way to FIX the external view?

Many thanks.

Tripod
Atlanta, GA

Posts: 6 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-14-2000 03:01 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right now I'm at work, so I don't know the filenames exactly. Go to the cfs2-situations folder and open defgrnd.??? with notepad. Under [windows] there's a line like
spotview??=roll
change it to fixed or none.
Also you might want to change
spotfasttransition?=true to false. That eliminates the fly-by-view when jumping from one plane to another.
Do the changes to defair.??? too.
When I'm back at home, I'll take a further look.

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tripod
Member # 8323

posted 12-14-2000 11:54 AM     Profile for Tripod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks alot. I'll wait for you to check if that info is correct before I try to make that change. (don't want to screw anything up)

Gruesse von Atlanta.

Greg
Member # 3241

posted 12-14-2000 12:10 PM     Profile for Greg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tripod,

I asked about this exact same problem about 2 weeks ago - check out my post and the responses that explained how to fix it:
http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum62/HTML/001650.html

Posts: 240 | From: College Park, MD USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-14-2000 01:26 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, now I'm back home. Although you might have the info you asked for, here's some more. This is the interesting section in my defair.flt-file:

[Window.1]
Order=0
Active=True
Undocked=False
Maximized=False
ManualMaxed=False
;ScreenUniCoords=0,0,8192,6144
UndocCoords=0,0,0,0
ViewType=Normal
ViewMode=Virtual Cockpit
ViewDir=Foreward
CockpitZoom=000.50
VirtualZoom=000.50
TowerZoom=008.00
TrackZoom=000.50
SpotZoom=000.75
MapZoom=011.00
SpotDirection=180.00
SpotDistance=+000050
SpotTransitionType=None
SpotFastTransition=True
SpotAltitude=+000005
PanHeading=360.00
PanPitch=360.00
PanBank=360.00
AutoFullScreen=True

The marked lines are those I have changed.
It was important for me that I start behind the a/c when I first switch to external view, so I changed the default setting to 180. Then I lowered the distance that I start with and the angle (if you just change the distance, your external viewpoint will be much too high.
Furthermore I changed the zoom-factor for the ext. view to get rid of the discrepance between the distance in witch outside objects appear in internal and external view.
The other lines are the above mentioned fixes.
Don't forget to make the changes in both files (dfgrnd.flt defines the settings when your plane starts on the ground, and defair.flt defines....guess what?

Hope this helps you

TBird

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-14-2000 01:28 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oooops, I forgot,
ViewMode=Virtual Cockpit let's you start with the virtual cockpit (damned, I forgot how to turn the lights on by default)

TBird

Boris
Member # 6294

posted 12-14-2000 02:20 PM     Profile for Boris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TBird,

What do you mean by jumping from one plane to another?

Posts: 97 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 6294

posted 12-14-2000 02:21 PM     Profile for Boris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TBird,

What do you mean by jumping from one plane to another, are you refering to Janes or MSCFS2? I wasn't aware that you could do that in CFS2. Also, can you change the settings in the virtual cockpit mode to quickly "Snap" to the direction you want to view and recenter the view after releasing the hat switch (like the standard cockpit view) versus just panning slowly?

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited 12-14-2000).]

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-14-2000 03:43 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm refering to CFS2
Jumping from one plane to another means that you can jump from your external view to the external view of every other plane that's involved in the fight. Do do this, press alt+f4 (chase mode), then shift+tab (jump first to the planes) or tab (jump first to the ground objects).
As you see, there are two directions. *tab* takes and toggles you through the ground objects first, shift+tab takes you to the other direction (planes first).
To your 2nd question: as far as I know, the only way to snap the views is using the numpad keys (although it could be possible (I don't know) that you assign the "snap-views" to your coolie-hat, but if you do that, you could loose the ability to pan around your plane in external view)

Back to question 1 : CFS2 doesn't seem to be able to handle this procedure (view jumping), when you have paused the game. The result of it will be very strange graphic effects. Try it out and you will see.

Man, how do I miss the advanced view control of EAW

TBird

Tripod
Member # 8323

posted 12-14-2000 07:15 PM     Profile for Tripod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TBird:

Thanks VERY much! I'll give these tips a try.

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-14-2000 09:33 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TBird66,

Under [Gauges]....change 'PanelLights' to 'True' so cockpit light is ON at start of mission.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-15-2000 04:51 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, now I remember (I've done all that before but have to repeat it because I have made a new install on my new 900Mhz-machine [wow, now it's a real beauty with fps that I have only dreamed of before)

Thx Aviar

TBird

nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 12-15-2000 04:51 AM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tripod you may also want to check the tips and tricks section on my site, there's a chapter on improving the views, where I compiled the good stuff that came out from relevant discussions on this forum.
Ciao,
nibbio http://web.tiscalinet.it/jobim/cfs2

Posts: 166 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 6294

posted 12-15-2000 06:29 AM     Profile for Boris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks T-Bird
Tripod
Member # 8323

posted 12-17-2000 03:42 PM     Profile for Tripod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to both Tbird and Nibbio for their awesome help!
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-17-2000 03:53 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I live to serve

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.