my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » What Do the Campaign Files names mean?

Author Topic: What Do the Campaign Files names mean?
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-11-2000 09:17 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
when looking at teh mission files in the Campaign folder, what's the diff between

ff1fm10_usn.mis

and

ft1tm10_usn.mis
ft2tm10_usn.mis
ft3tm10_usn.mis

and

hn10_usn.mis

and

hn1a_usn.mis
hn1b_usn.mis

i suppose 'usn' refers to US campaign but what do the rest of the name mean? I can't get them in campaign order in the Mission Editor cos they come up as mission name alphabetically.

also what the diff between the .mis and .dyn file extns?? Which file doe the editor change and save?

Thanks !

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-12-2000 06:48 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anybody?
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 12-12-2000 08:26 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good question, would like to know that too (esp. the diff. between .mis and .dyn.
So, folks, anybody there to enlighten us?

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-12-2000 11:27 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know the higher the number the later the mission (18 series being final ones). Otherwise, it's all Greek to me.
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-12-2000 03:13 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The .mis is the file you play!
It lists the objects, formations, waypoints, texts etc. You can view them with notepad or with the missionbuilder.

The .dyn file is its dynamic counterpart. It lists the triggers and events.
The missionbuilder will save both.

CFS2 can load different missions depending on the outcome of the previous mission.
Playing the campaign will take 30 missions for both USN and IJN. When you look in the campaign folder you will notice there are a lot more....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but thats basically it I believe.

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-12-2000 05:47 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Barkhorn, could u enlighten us?

Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-13-2000 07:06 AM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry don't understand...
-Am I to vague?
-Didn't I get your question right?
-Or am I not "enlightened" enough?

Whats wrong with my answer? Just tryin' to help out you know, thats all.

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-13-2000 08:28 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Ryan, no offence intended. Wasn't implying anything.

Juz that no one has asnwered my question fully.

for eg., what's ft, tm, fm, hn mean? no one has answered that.

Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 12-13-2000 08:53 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MagenDavid:

Sorry I cannot help you here as I have no idea what these codes mean - perhaps they are simply internal M$ tracking codes.

Private_Ryan explained the .mis and .dyn file functions.

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-13-2000 04:25 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MagenDavid:

Non taken, I'm not offended. Just didn't understand.
It's ok

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-13-2000 06:35 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hhmm Barkhorn,
thot u might know since u did up the realism patch (US campaign).
How did u know which mission came first/n the branching etc? since the editor lists the missions in mission name alphabetical order.

cheers

Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 12-14-2000 07:10 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MagenDavid;

I edited EACH USN mission - in alpha order - I did not edit the campagn file. So...I did not need to know this info.

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
PCH
Member # 7479

posted 12-14-2000 11:58 AM     Profile for PCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want a little more info in a quick form, go to http://cfs2.dogfighter.com/cgi-bin/dcfiles/dcfiles.cgi?action=view_category&category=Combat+Flight+Simulator+Utilities

or http://www.simviation.com/fsdcfsutils5.htm

or http://www.fidalgo.net/~wwcline/dls.htm

There are some utils I wrote for CFS2. One will list the file name of the mission, the title info you see, the various ships and planes in it. Also lists those it can't find. Quick and easy to collect all that info into a single document.

Couple of others list planes along with weaponry.

There's one version for CFS and another for CFS2. There's also another program for CFS & CFS2 that unifies many changes into a single program.

Have a good one

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.