my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Barkhorn RP and Tinian Invasion

Author Topic: Barkhorn RP and Tinian Invasion
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-09-2000 06:05 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally got a chance to re-verify that th RP patch does in fact block access to this 1944 Tinian Imvasion campaign mission ("you are one of 16 Hellcats..."). With the boxed campaign no problem, but with the patch "mission loading error." Otherwise the patch works AOK, and is much appreciated.

Unrelated to your patch, but perhaps you can help. Somehow my Radio Comms have been deactivated. Despite no changes to key assignments for 'join up', 'attack' etc they are inoperable (keyboard and joystick). All other sounds aok. Is there a .cfg file setting that I may have inadvertantly changed?

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-09-2000 11:35 AM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

Try the 'Toggle Radio Messages' command. Not sure what the default key is. I changed all mine.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-09-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, that was it Aviar. I must have toggled the radio off at some point.

Had a chance to see if you have a problem with the Tinian Invasion mission?

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-09-2000 02:26 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you can give me the exact FILENAME of the mission, I can take a look at it. Otherwise, I haven't played that campaign so I don't know the mission.

I assume you told Barkhorn1x about this?

Aviar

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-09-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How would I ascertain the respective Filename, as they're cryptic at best?

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-09-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, you could go into the mission builder. Hit the 'load' icon and bring up some of the missions you may think it is. When you do, you will see the mission name, overview and file name. You should recognize the mission by the overview. I wouldn't, because I haven't played the campaign.

Aviar

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-10-2000 06:41 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK Aviar, I'll do that. But in the meantime, it's the second mission in the last increment (late 1944) of the campaign that won't load.
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-10-2000 07:28 AM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

A tip: open up the error.log in your main CFS directory.
It will tell you what is wrong and where. You will also see in what mission the error occured.
Tell us what it says, someone might be able to help then.

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-10-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the mission filename for Tinian Invasion (the one where you're one of 16 Hellcats).

t4tm18_usn

Hopefully Barkhorn can resolve, as his patch appears to be the culprit.

For the time being I'm reverting to the boxed version of this mission.

edit: the third, and last, mission in the final campaign phase is similarly hosed.

t5tm18_usn

[This message has been edited by Bill Hewett (edited 12-10-2000).]

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-10-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

I just checked out the readme for the campaign. I found the following:

"The US fighter of choice is the F4F-4 from 1941 to 10/43, the F6F-3 from 11/43 to 6/44 and the F6F-5 from 6/44 on. See the F6G-5 download at "cfs2.dogfighter.com" for this aircraft."

It seems like the player has to get and put these planes into their "Aircraft' folder.

I changed the F4F-5 to an F4F-3 (default) in one of these missions and it loaded fine.

Aviar

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-10-2000 03:18 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice find Aviar, and another shame on Microsoft. But I can run these two missions with the boxed campaign missions and not Barkhorn's. I put the two boxed in with all other Barkhorn's so I could finish the campaign and get shipped home.
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 12-10-2000 03:49 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, for once we can't blame MS. If someone puts a plane into a mission and that plane did not ship with the game, the mission will not load.

In defense of Barkhorn1x, I will say this. He DID mention it.

My advice to mission builders: If your mission requires custom planes, make it very clear in the readme notes.

Aviar

Aviar

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 12-11-2000 05:51 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhh.... shame on me! Will d/l the add'l a/c. Thanks again Aviar.
Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 12-11-2000 07:18 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea you guys are right.

The last 2 missions do need the F6F-5 - but you can change 'em back to F6F-3.

The next project I work on I will be sure to highlight this in the ReadMe.

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 12-11-2000 08:51 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so there's a typo err in the readme? its F6F-5 n not F6G-5??

anyway, there is no F6F-5 in CFS2 Online. Can't find it..

hankmc
Member # 8529

posted 12-13-2000 11:05 AM     Profile for hankmc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't find the F6F-5 d/l at dogfighter.com, not sure if I even have the right site. Easy fix to keep using Barkhorn's patch is to make a copy of the F6F-3 in A/C folder and rename it F6F-5. A lot easier than trying to change the campaign info.
Great patch, really puts the wingmen in the game. It also seem to eliminate radio chatter until you recheck it in Alt/options,easy enough.

Thxs Barkhorn.

hank

Posts: 81 | From: NJ USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.