my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » No more comic book interface?!

Author Topic: No more comic book interface?!
THEGhostrider
Member # 7494

posted 12-04-2000 09:23 AM     Profile for THEGhostrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey fellas,

I have modified my CFS2 program to display original B/W (and some color) photos instead of the usual "comic book" splash screens before missions, while game loads, at at startup, etc. This is still a work in progress, but is anyone interested in this mod? I don't mind the comic book interface so much, but jeez, it's so easy to do something like this. Any other modifiers out there know about the legal angles? I will give credit for the photo sources in readme, and they still say Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator II, so I don't expect MS will be mad at me. Anyway, let me know if you're interested.

------------------
"Rangers Lead The Way!"
Andrew D. Mylander
"Ghostrider"

[This message has been edited by THEGhostrider (edited 12-04-2000).]

Posts: 72 | From: Stansbury Park, UT, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 12-04-2000 10:27 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds good to me.
kverdon
Member # 347

posted 12-04-2000 10:56 AM     Profile for kverdon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ghostrider,

Great Idea, I'd go for it. The Comic Book just does not cut it for me. I'd REALLY be happy if you could get something to replace that #$#$*(*# Rumors screen.

Kevin

Posts: 145 | From: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 12-04-2000 11:00 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most war photos you see are in the public domain if they are from the National Archives and Armed Forces so you won't have problems.
For example I saw a war photo in one string here of the IJN Carrier SHOKAKU under aerial attack in the Coral Sea - a National Archives photo - you can post it and use it anywhere. But lets say you got a pix from a Japanese military magazine like KOKUFAN you better e:mail them before you use it. Archive photos should be acknowledged in README.

I'm speaking from experience after producing a ship monograph for FLOATING DRYDOCK a couple of years back.

Hans Offen
Member # 3916

posted 12-04-2000 12:31 PM     Profile for Hans Offen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great Idea...

I don't mind the "Comic Book" interface but I am already tired of looking at them. They are drawn kind of wonky IMHO.

Posts: 134 | From: Lotusland, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
davido53
Member # 7121

posted 12-04-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for davido53   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want it!
in fact, I had it before I had to reinstall...

did you do the original?

It is much better than MS's...

Posts: 61 | From: Cincinnati OH | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-04-2000 05:57 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I use this mod. the link to it is here: http://cfs2.dogfighter.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=300&forum=DCForumID4&omm=0&auto_sense=on

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
THEGhostrider
Member # 7494

posted 12-04-2000 08:56 PM     Profile for THEGhostrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. This is still a work in progress, but I will get it out ASAP, and announce on this board where to download it. It sounds like PlummerX has already found a similar mod elsewhere. PlummerX, how's B-17II? Got it yet? No luck here so far.

------------------
"Rangers Lead The Way!"
Andrew D. Mylander
"Ghostrider"

Posts: 72 | From: Stansbury Park, UT, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 12-05-2000 09:40 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That comic book interface grew on me; like a fungus.

I hate it. It causes this goofy tone to ooze into the otherwise serious sim. And yes, that stupid "scuttlebut" thing could have been cool but alas, they made it a useless mouse click. I like the one about "there's a new fighter called the Corsair, with a 2,000 horsepower engine!" while the player's squadron is already flying Hellcats with the same P&W 2,000 horsepower engine.

I think the "talk to the crew" feature in old space sims like Wing Commander was more usefull. They would tell you to look out for a new enemy fighter that can do this or that, or give you advice like how to outrun this or that.

I get twice the feeling of "being there" by sitting in the barracks in EAW, listening to the radio than I do watching those silly comics. How many nights have we gone to the bathroom, or to the kitchen for a drink in between missions in EAW, as the 40s music plays from the barracks screen or the sound of low-flying planes rumbles from the hanger screen?

Ugh.

------------------
To the Union: Next to Our Liberty, Most Dear!

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.