my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Question about torpedos??

Author Topic: Question about torpedos??
Storm
Member # 1480

posted 11-30-2000 10:43 AM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried a torpedo attack on the Destroyer, in the starfing mission. Well, I dropped it perfectly, and it ran true, but when it got to the ship, nothing happened. Whats with that?? TIA.

Storm

Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Speedbrake
Member # 2011

posted 11-30-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for Speedbrake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A couple of things you need to be aware of when dropping torpedos.

You need to be low, under 50 feet altitude.

You need to be slow, close to 100-120 kts.

You need to provide it with enough pre-hit time (distance) to activate. I think about 500 yards or so. Too close and it goes under the ship. As someone pointed out to me, most WWII torpedos were not contact fuzzes but magnetic fuzzes and were set to explode under the ship.

By the way - the straffing mission is a good trainer but you need to create a training mission with a moving ship as it does make a world of difference figuring out a good aiming drop point.

[This message has been edited by Speedbrake (edited 11-30-2000).]

Posts: 310 | From: Fort Worth, TX USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Storm
Member # 1480

posted 12-01-2000 05:21 AM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speedbrake,

Thanks for the craniums up on this. I tried it out last night and got some great results.

Storm

Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.