my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Taking off alone?

Author Topic: Taking off alone?
Steel Eagle
Member # 7286

posted 11-28-2000 05:26 PM     Profile for Steel Eagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is that in every mission I play I end up being the last one taking off? Everyone's in the air already when the mission starts.

In every previous pacific theater flight sim i've played, and not only in the pacific, I allways takeoff with the rest of the squadron.

Is there a way to alter this situation? From what I've read, some people are taking off at the same time as their wingman, so it shoud be possible, right?

------------------------------
Steel Eagle still flying high!
------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Steel Eagle (edited 11-28-2000).]

Posts: 20 | From: Portugal | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-28-2000 07:04 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steel Eagle,

My guess is that you're talking about taking off from a carrier. Only the player can do that. The game is not programmed to allow the AI planes to take off or land from carriers. Sorry.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
buz13
Member # 546

posted 11-29-2000 10:22 AM     Profile for buz13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I have seen so far AI planes can't land anywhere.....boy those guys must carry lots of fuel. I think Microsoft just has a cut off date and if the programers haven't gotten that far then forget it.....who will notice?
Posts: 385 | From: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 11-29-2000 10:58 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen AI planes land at several airfields <shrug/>

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 6294

posted 11-29-2000 12:40 PM     Profile for Boris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They definitely take off and land with you at land bases but never on the carrier. I guess microsoft didn't think that you would taxi out of the way after landing on the carrier. I usually taxi up to the front of the tower on deck (right at the edge), fold up the wings and cut the engine before exiting. I've waited there for some time and the wing men just continually buzz the tower but never land. BTW, does any one know if there is a way to start on the deck of the carrier for free flight or quick combat??
Posts: 97 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
buz13
Member # 546

posted 11-30-2000 09:21 AM     Profile for buz13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well that's strange....I have landed at a land base and sat on the field for a long time watching to see my wingmen land...they never have...just keep flying around...but other's say they do land for them.....how long do you wait....I do need to sleep.
Posts: 385 | From: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-30-2000 12:15 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
buz13,

Believe what you see, not what you read <shrug/>.

That being said, I am disappointed in the AI landing logic. I did some testing (not enough) for an upcoming mission. I needed to have the C-47 transport land at Marcus Island. It crashed into the water every time. I tried different waypoints, altitudes, speeds, everything I could think of. Not one successful landing.

I then tried a few other aircraft models and had varying success. Some would circle and never come back. Some would land, keep going into the ocean, flop around and go back and land. Some would land, keep going into the ocean and ride on top of the water in a straight line and never come back. Some of the aircraft would exhibit several of these strange landing 'techniques'. A couple of aircraft did land successfully, but not every time.

So, you see, the answer is not so easily explained as a simple <shrug/>. If you're comfortable using the mission builder, it's pretty easy to test some of the strange events you might have a question about.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
NonCon
Member # 5040

posted 11-30-2000 12:51 PM     Profile for NonCon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Returning to my airfield after a mission I was surprised to see my squad land, not on their gear but on their nose. They bounced around all over the airfield, did a few Pirouettes (all on their nose) then vanished. Most of the time they are on final approach as you are coming in, hit the ground then crash.

KJ

Posts: 15 | From: St. Louis MO | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.