my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Weather in Campaign

Author Topic: Weather in Campaign
LhW
Member # 7457

posted 11-26-2000 08:26 PM     Profile for LhW   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know that for some reason there is no weather in campaign missions. Is there a way a skilled programmer such as the ones who offered the realism patch could create a fix for this?

Thanks!

- LhW

Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-26-2000 08:52 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone can do it.

1-Open the mission in the mission builder.
2-Adjust the weather settings to your liking.
3-Save the mission.

That's it! Do that with any or all of the missions that you wish.

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 11-26-2000 09:14 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've just finished a couple of campaign missions that had light and medium cloud cover. <shrug/>

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-26-2000 10:35 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vancouver,

There is no 'dynamic' weather in the campaigns. The campaigns are made up of single missions linked together. If a certain mission was created with 'weather' (something other than clear), then that mission will always have those particular weather conditions. If a mission was created with clear weather, it will always be clear.

I haven't played all the missions but I believe some of them were created with 'weather' conditions. You just happened to play one of these missions.

I hope this clears it up for you. (No pun intended)

Aviar

Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 11-26-2000 10:44 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm aware of that Aviar. However the original poster seems to be under the impression that there is no weather in any of the campaigns and that the only way to add weather is to hack the program. Not so.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-26-2000 10:55 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right. That's why I answered his question in my first post.

Besides, there's nothing in your post about how the weather works. If anything, it is contradicting my advice to the poor guy and making him even more confused.

Sorry man, but I'm just trying to help a fellow simmer out.

Aviar

[This message has been edited by Aviar (edited 11-26-2000).]

Hornit
Member # 962

posted 11-27-2000 01:33 AM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My guess is they left out clouds as a frame rate consideration during these missions. I have played a few late in the US campaign and come across some clouds though. Only two or three total missions.

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-27-2000 02:48 AM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hornit,

Not to change the subject, but, have you tried the Barkhorn1x campaign yet? You were asking about it on another thread.

Aviar

Hornit
Member # 962

posted 11-27-2000 10:33 AM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't tried it yet...Pretty disgusted with the damage=no roll bug. I'm currently playing F4 again with the rp4 patch. CFS2 may not live very long on my HD...

I have downloaded it and had not installed it yet but may tonight.

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-27-2000 11:32 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where is the SNOW option that is mentioned in the Pilot's hlp(type in precipitation):
Precipitation Type

Add rain and snow to your Free Flight and Quick Combat experiences to make them more real. If you choose Thunderstorms as the cloud type, the precipitation type defaults to rain and canít be changed. Only the lowest cloud layer can produce precipitation.

To add rain or snow to the weather

1. On the Main screen, click Free Flight or Quick Combat.
2. Click Time and Weather.
3. Click Advanced Weather and then click Clouds.
4. Select None, Rain, or Snow in the Precipitation drop-down list box.
5. Click OK.

It rains at minus 65.......yeh right!

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LhW
Member # 7457

posted 11-27-2000 02:58 PM     Profile for LhW   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must have misunderstood a prevous post. I thought that it said the weather (clouds) dynamic or otherwise was not included in the standard mission.

I have flown a few campaign missions thus far but with no weather whatsoever. Maybe it will show up sooner or later.

I also thought I read that to change weather in the standard campaign one needs to open the mission the campaign manager, change it, save it, exit the campaing manager, then start CFS2. I did not think it could be changed via the weather option within the game itself.

I will try this though, as per the suggestion.

Thanks.

- LhW

Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 11-27-2000 03:39 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you are already aware of this.

Some people are working on restoring the wheather dialogue from FS2000 in CFS2 (excuse my sometimes bad english). It's there, but not activated.
If so, you can choose any wheather in any mission at any time. Including seasons, recording your flights and the ability to save flights.(like in FS2K)

Your worries will be over. I don't know when work is done.

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.