my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » problems with Dxtbmp, please advise

Author Topic: problems with Dxtbmp, please advise
chemistry
Member # 7744

posted 11-26-2000 02:25 PM     Profile for chemistry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
when i edit the templates, after having them uploaded to photoshp and reloaded them in dxtbmp, the resolution of the new skin in CFS2 is very poor. what am i doing wrong here? i save the new skins as dxt file.
Posts: 12 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-26-2000 02:34 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The resolution of any artwork that you add to the plane must be of high resolution. It has to start at high resolution, you can't improve what is not there originally. If you are using a 3dfx video card, give up, as there seems to be resolution problems with voodoo cards and add-on plane art.
Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
chemistry
Member # 7744

posted 11-26-2000 02:50 PM     Profile for chemistry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn, that is quick! nop, using an o/c'ed tnt2/m64 in 1078*786/16. i'm exporting and importing as described in the help file but the new skin still is messy. it looks like it has something to do with the colorpallete.
all the detail is missing
is driving me crazy!

Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-26-2000 03:06 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I remember right, the BMPs are in Index mode when I open them in photoshop. I have to convert them to RGB, then apply the new artwork, then change the whole thing back to Index color mode. It sounds like you are already doing this, or the new art would not show up at all. If you would like, you could email me an example of what you are trying to add. I can then easily tell if it is high enough in resolution. Remember to apply the new art to the BMP ending in _t, for example, in the A6M2 Zero the file to edit would be a6m2_zero_t. There is an identical file ending in _d, (as in a4m2_zero_d), it looks just the same, but it is the damage texture and you donít want that.
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-26-2000 03:11 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot, make sure you have "include mips" checked. Look under prefs, then DXT settings in dxbmp.
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-26-2000 03:18 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, my email addy is enabled in my profile, but refuses to show, so here it is:
[email protected]

FredTitmus
Member # 7649

posted 11-26-2000 03:44 PM     Profile for FredTitmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should NEVER leave 24 bit mode while editing Textures. Any reduction to 8 bit indexed colour will introduce a dither that will mess up the DXT compression. Repainting for DXT takes a lot more work than we are used to with previous formats and much more care needs to be taken with blending in new painted areas. Look at the appearance of the default textures and see the sort of paintwork that is needed to survive the compression (lots of shades, no primary colours in solid blocks.....)

If you are working from 8 bit textures or templates then
1/ Why ??
2/ Don`t bother saving them in DXT format....Stay in 8 bit and use Bmp2000 or BmpExt to create Extended Bitmap versions (BmpExt if they are 1024x1024)

chemistry
Member # 7744

posted 11-27-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for chemistry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thank you, thank you guys for all your advise. probably i will get it to work right now. i'll try and see what will happen.....

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.