my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Attention Hexers / Modifiers: Need permision to post.

Author Topic: Attention Hexers / Modifiers: Need permision to post.
buchstabe-bub
Member # 7704

posted 11-25-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for buchstabe-bub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi folks. I'm posting some of the more sought after mods / addons of various flight sims to my website and would like permission from the authors. In other words, if anybody has any objections, let me know. I think it's always nice to have an alternate site for when someone's server goes down. I will be offering chopped up versions of some of the larger files to aid those with slower modems. At my site www.letterboy1.com you can see an example of this on the F4 fixes section.

Anyway, if I don't hear anything in a few days time, I will begin hunting down CFS2 files for uploading. I can always be contacted using the e-mail address posted at my site in case I post something that an author finds objectionable.

Thanks and S!

------------------
So I say, let their true fates be the stuff of legends and their death in service their legacy. S!

Posts: 118 | From: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
AxA
Member # 83

posted 11-25-2000 04:47 PM     Profile for AxA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that you have it backwards. You should only post mods that you have expressively obtained permission from the mod makers.

To say that you will begin uploading "unless" you hear otherwise is not the correct thing to do.

You should obtain permission from the mod makers AND have them email you the necessary files. I think that if you were to visit just about every website dedicated to hosting "mods", you will find a disclaimer stating that the mods are not to be posted for download without the express permission of the author/mod maker(s).

This is purely out of respect to the hard work involved in most of the mods. No one is making a cent out of the mods, but wish to have some type of control over their hard work.

AxA http://www.FlyAndFight.com

Posts: 380 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SilverFox441
Member # 6349

posted 11-25-2000 06:16 PM     Profile for SilverFox441   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd take the warning VERY seriously. Some of the freeware authors are so annoyed by people not asking that they immediately start the process of going after offenders for copyright violation.

Every file that I know of has an email address for the author included. Contact them and ask permission, most will happily say yes. Doing it the other way around just asks for trouble.

buchstabe-bub
Member # 7704

posted 11-26-2000 06:33 AM     Profile for buchstabe-bub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys are right of course. I'll be sure to observe all protocol. Thanks for the heads up. Please allow for my being new to this (posting addons) and excuse the oversight; I will correct it.
S!
Steve

------------------
So I say, let their true fates be the stuff of legends and their death in service their legacy. S!

Posts: 118 | From: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.