my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » HUD navigation?

Author Topic: HUD navigation?
Forward Observer
Member # 5366

posted 11-23-2000 04:56 PM     Profile for Forward Observer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I usually fly with the HUD screen up, since
I dislike both the 2D and 3D views. I'm just not that hardcore and besides, I like the panarama. The online manual says that among other info, that the HUD will also give me headings. Where is it?

In CFS I, I think that the upper circle in the HUD was a compass, but in CFS II it is now an artificial horizon. Since about all you can see in the Pacific is horizon, this seems a bit redundant. I don't do too much navigating, but occasionally after a fight when I'm out of ammo, low on fuel, the warp is still disabled, and there are still bandits about, I want to escape in the most correct direction. Is my only choice to toggle back to the 2D/3D cockpit?

------------------
Artillery adds dignity to
what would otherwise be a vulger brawl!

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 11-23-2000).]

Posts: 197 | From: Cabot. Ar, US | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-23-2000 05:22 PM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is an add-on that gives you GPS in the cockpit, so you can find the nearest airbase. Add that to the ADF/Fuel truck add-on and you can refuel when you find a near by airbase. If you feel that GPS is a "cheat" consider that in reality you would have some pretty good maps available, as well as a radio, enabling you to find the quickest route to safety. Because we don't really have that in the sim, adding GPS doesn't seem like a cheat to me. The GPS comes with a file for the Corsair, but you will have to figure out how to install it in any other plane you might fly. It's really not that difficult. Of course, to use the GPS you would have to return to the panel view now and then to maintain your correct heading.
Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lawry Playle
Member # 7373

posted 11-23-2000 05:52 PM     Profile for Lawry Playle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In answer to your question Forward Observer, I think that without adding a "Very" new piece of kit like GPS to your plane then; yes the way to find heading is back to the 2D cockpit.For navigating, then I think you have to make reference to the mission map, now and again. A bit of a drag I grant you, as it takes time to load but more authentic for me.

------------------
www.lawryplayle.demon.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Lawry Playle (edited 11-23-2000).]

Posts: 35 | From: Sandbach,Cheshire,UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.