my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Cannot install new planes

Author Topic: Cannot install new planes
motoadve
Member # 7678

posted 11-20-2000 08:40 PM     Profile for motoadve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried installing the P40 K and the new P51 B .
I do everything the instruction asks and no luck.
Is there a trick to this?

Posts: 45 | From: San Jose Costa Rica | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 11-21-2000 09:30 AM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone mentioned this earlier, but go through ALL the *.cfg (config) files in that aircrafts directory/subdirectories and make sure all references are valid, like aliases in the sound folder should point to a real existing plane.

I also had to add a *.DP file where one did not exist by copying one from another similar aircraft and renaming it. For example, I used the Ki-43 DP file to get the Ki-27 Nate to work.

So far I have gotten the Ki-27, Ki-61, XB-17, B-29, and P-43 Lancer to work in addition to all the ones which have been "repackaged" to work with CFS2 (I-16 "Rata, P-40, P-51, P-47 etc.) I could not get the F7F working, it locks up. Some of these planes kill frame rates, except the I-16, P-40, and Ki-61 they work great.

I downloaded alot of these from www.Simviation.com.

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dickby
Member # 2950

posted 11-21-2000 12:48 PM     Profile for Dickby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Harry,
Maybe "you" can help.I have downloaded the Bruno P40 and others they all
crash and freeze my computer so badly I have
to cold boot!!Don`t know where to begin to
search for solution.Not showing up or not working is bad enough but total crash ??
Help! Harry....anybody?
Dickby

Posts: 108 | From: Trumbull,Ct U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 11-21-2000 01:23 PM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was able to load the P-40 without having to make any changes. The F7F locks me up hard, have to hit power to kill it.

I just try to set up all the add-ons to be as close to an existing plane as possible, all CFG files present, all pointers valid.

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Peyton
Member # 3325

posted 11-22-2000 11:04 AM     Profile for Peyton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded Bruno's P-40 for CFS2, and trustingly installed it on both my wife's and my own machine. Woops! The "readme" in the zip file said to extract the contents into the Aircraft directory, which seemed normal. Regretably, I didn't examine the destination paths noted in the extraction window. Apparently the zip file was designed to create a file folder called P-40 or something, but didn't. All the pieces/parts went into the Aircraft directory, and did create folders such as model, panel, etc. Some game files within the Aircraft directory root were overwritten, and I'm gonna have to reinstall on both machines. Not only is the P-40 not available, but multiplayer is all wacked out.

As was mentioned, be very careful when installing add-ons. I failed in two ways - not double-checking where things would be extracted to, and not taking a careful look at the .cfg files.

By the way, the Abacus Premiere models work in CFS2, sort of. You'll be invisible to the other players, though. Flying a stealth Mustang is fun, but only for a little while.

Cheers and beers,
Peyton

Posts: 10 | From: Round Rock, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.