my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Does CFS2 use Surround Sound??

Author Topic: Does CFS2 use Surround Sound??
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-20-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have Altec 4.1 surround with SB Live Value but i dont hear any srround sound with CFS2.
i deleted the Sound section in the cfs2.cfg file. Am i missing something ?

Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 11-20-2000 04:33 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deleted the sound section? I'am surprised you'll here anything at all. CFS2 probably returns to default settings, which is mono, 8bit, 11khz sound.
Change it back to 16 bit, 44,1khz. 4 channels. You'd be in for quite a shock! Fps could suffer though. CFS2 uses surround in the movies. Not in the game I believe. It has exellent stereo though, sometimes sounding like surround.

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-20-2000 04:48 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got an SBLive5.1. Two front speakers and two rear speakers with a Subwoofer. My settings are
[SOUND]
Channels=1
SamplesPerSec=44100
BitsPerSample=16

Are you says I should change the Channels to =4. Why, what does that do?

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 11-20-2000 05:34 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bigshot,
wouldn't you like to hear flak burst all around you? Explosions going off left and right? Hear the bullets whizz by left and right? Fire your guns left and right? Etc.
All sounds, exept engines, are default mono.
So, if you have the system, go for it! What are you waiting for?
Change nr. of channels to at least 2 for stereo effects. Try out 4 for yourself.
Have fun!

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-20-2000 06:32 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey; thanks for the tip. I changed Channels to =4 and its much better. Was really good before; but now I can hear the echos from the flak and other sounds. Best way I can describe it anyway. Made the wife complain. HEHE.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-20-2000 07:44 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks.
someone said to delete that section for max effect. looks like he was wrong?

Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 11-20-2000 07:45 PM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I deleted that section after someone suggested doing so and got an enormous increase in sound quality.
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 11-21-2000 06:37 AM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When the wife complains, You KNOW you've did the right thing.

About deleting the soundsection:
Come to think of it; he might be right if the settings are there for some compatability reasons with older soundcards. Is so I think it's ok to delete. Dunno,haven't tried it yet. Can't go for higher settings anyway. Could try to bring up the enginesounds to CD level.
Anyone tried this yet?

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-21-2000 09:28 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmm.. i dont sem to hear any sound from my 2 rear speckers though i have used 4channel, 44100, 16 bit.

the sound is fine just isn't surround like say Rogue Spear

anvil
Member # 7613

posted 11-21-2000 09:29 PM     Profile for anvil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm intresting,, i checked and my channels is set to 16 I wonder why,, i will check it out..
Posts: 31 | From: Woodland Park, Co, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
anvil
Member # 7613

posted 11-21-2000 10:04 PM     Profile for anvil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definitely sounds better with 4 channels set instead of 16, perhaps it reads 16 as only 1 channel.. and it doesn't seem to effect my framerates either way.

Posts: 31 | From: Woodland Park, Co, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-23-2000 01:47 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
with 4 channels/44100/16bit setting, i still dont hear from the two rear speakers. but my speakers work fine with rogue spear surround sound effects
???

(SB Live Value, Altec 4.1 Surround)

Holliday
Member # 3308

posted 11-23-2000 08:57 AM     Profile for Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to a review I just read on this very website, CFS2 does not use surround sound.
Posts: 139 | From: Wilmington NC USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jeroen rep
Member # 5035

posted 11-24-2000 01:29 PM     Profile for Jeroen rep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a SB live! 1024 and a Creative DTT2500 Digital (with dolby digital)

and I hear sounds through all my 5 satelites and verry good explosions out of my subwoofer.

I am going to check if the right and left sounds are realy the right and left sounds, you;ll heare from me!

------------------
"Over and out"
Jeroen

Posts: 77 | From: schagen, Nederland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jeroen rep
Member # 5035

posted 11-24-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for Jeroen rep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a SB live! 1024 and a Creative DTT2500 Digital (with dolby digital)

and I hear sounds through all my 5 satelites and verry good explosions out of my subwoofer.

I am going to check if the right and left sounds are realy the right and left sounds, you;ll heare from me!

P.S. my decoder is on four point surround

------------------
"Over and out"
Jeroen

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-24-2000 09:14 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, it works now...

I had to go start up SB Live Experience and select Speaker Confguration for a 4.1 setup. Now my 2 rear speakers do have sounds and u can hear planes making the fly by sounds.

So I think it does use surround sound n i greatly enjoy it now!

Cheers

SB Live
Altec 4.1
4 channel/44100/16bit

Jeroen rep
Member # 5035

posted 11-25-2000 03:45 AM     Profile for Jeroen rep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes, if there is a plane flying on the left of me, I actualy do hear it through my left satelite, but I don't think that the rear and front speekers make difirense.

------------------
"Over and out"
Jeroen

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.