my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » "Cacheman" works. Double the framerate on my lowly PIII450!

Author Topic: "Cacheman" works. Double the framerate on my lowly PIII450!
bigbirdk
Member # 1260

posted 11-19-2000 06:32 AM     Profile for bigbirdk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to a tip I read on another post, I downloaded "Cacheman" off www.omegacorner.com. (The archives section) This nearly doubled the framerate on my 450, 96 meg ram and Monster fusion setup at 640 x 480! Hope it works for you too!:-)
Posts: 68 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dickby
Member # 2950

posted 11-19-2000 06:56 AM     Profile for Dickby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What settings did you use ?
Dickby

Posts: 108 | From: Trumbull,Ct U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
bonzo
Member # 2124

posted 11-19-2000 07:04 AM     Profile for bonzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
while your at it make a bigger swap file too!
Posts: 97 | From: santa barbra calif | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-19-2000 07:15 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try the "quake" settings, and then the "power user" ones and compare the performance. Those tend to be the best of the lot.

As for swap space, try this little trick:

First, disable virtual memory completely. Reboot. Now, defrag the disk drive partition you'll be putting the swap space back onto (usually C . It'll take a LONG time, be patient. When the defrag is done, go back into virtual memory settings and set it so you control it yourself. Ignore the dire warnings, they lie. Give yourself between 2.0 and 2.5 times your installed RAM as a swap file, and try to make the value an even power of 2 (each megabyte is 1024, not 1000, so if you want 512 meg of swap space just multiply 512 by 1024 and you'll be dead on) so as to minimize wasted disk space.

Here's the important part: set min and max to the same value, the one you decided on. If you don't, win-doze will go in and resize your sap at the most unpleasant times, slwing your system to a crawl. When it's set, reboot.

Now you have a totally unfragmented swap space reserved that will never change, and should no longer see any interference from Win-doze while you play.

Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 11-19-2000 10:15 AM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SpinDry, keep in mind that the swapspace also gets fragmented, and the bigger it is, the more will it be noticeable. There just ain't no substitute for RAM. Not really.

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
bigbirdk
Member # 1260

posted 11-19-2000 11:25 AM     Profile for bigbirdk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dickby - I use the exact same settings specified by the designer on the page. Not much of a "techie" but this was a major and noticeable improvement. Good luck!
Posts: 68 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-19-2000 03:32 PM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, more RAM is always the best, but not always in reach. At least the reserved space for the swapfile stays fixed, and that alone took a big bite out of the grief people were getting back when RedBaron 3D came out, such as sudden freezes and slowdowns as Win-doze re-sized the swap file.

Bottom line is, of course, get as much RAM as you can afford, then hock the dog and get more. \

curlytop
Member # 7691

posted 11-19-2000 03:34 PM     Profile for curlytop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SpinDry -- I have 96mb ram .. are you saying that I should set the virtual memory at 192X1024 or 196608 for min/max?

Posts: 76 | From: Jackson, TN, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starlancer
Member # 7745

posted 11-19-2000 05:32 PM     Profile for Starlancer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can optimise the swap file further by moving it to the outside tracks of your hard drive, download the trial version of Norton Utilities 2001. It'll do this for you. I also use the setting given on omegacorner, and according to cacheman and Norton 2001, I haven't used any of the Swap file memory since, go figure.

[This message has been edited by Starlancer (edited 11-19-2000).]

SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-20-2000 07:14 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. In the *nix world 2.5 is a good multiplier, in win-doze I think you can get away with 2.0. I have 256MB of memory and a 512 swapfile.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.