my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Before I buy CFS-3 will it .....

Author Topic: Before I buy CFS-3 will it .....
gember
Member # 1560

posted 11-18-2000 10:37 PM     Profile for gember   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Question: Before I buy CFS-3 will it install
a version of DirectX automatically over my current version of 6.1a. All my flight sims work great now, even USAF. I would hate to screw things up with a newer version of DirectX. Does "it" really need version 7 or 8? Do I have a choice during install?
Comments anyone.............

------------------
George G. (MAJ USAF RET)(E-3 USN) (not a pilot)
Willow Grove NAS, Uss Independence CVA-62, USS Boxer LPH-4, P2V Neptunes,
C-9, C-130, C-141, C-5's.
[email protected]

Posts: 51 | From: Yuba City, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-18-2000 11:39 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know which version of direktx will be shipped with CFS-3, perhaps DX10 ?

No, seriously, I think CFS2 is delivered with direktx 7.0a. And it will only work with v7.0a. But I wouldn't worry about that. All my games work very well with this version, it doesn't screw things up, it's only an enhanced version of dx 6.1, with fixed bugs and some new features.

TBird
P.S.: When the installation-routine of the game detects that you have an older version of directx, it will automatically install the newer version (I'm not sure, because when I installed CFS2, I already ran dx7, so there was no need to install it again)

[This message has been edited by TBird66 (edited 11-18-2000).]

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 11-19-2000 09:10 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy Gember ----
Adding to TBird's comments, many of us are now running DX8 which works just fine for most as I can tell -- actually saw a bit of improvement over DX7....!!!

My observation has been that most (well designed) sims will check for the existing version of DX on the target system, and if the CD contains a newer release, it will be installed, otherwise it will detect and bypass the DX installation leaving the present one on the target system.

Good Luck --- Have Fun --- BB ----

Posts: 141 | From: San Ramon, CA. USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.