my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Holy Smokes!!!

Author Topic: Holy Smokes!!!
Saburo
Member # 7542

posted 11-18-2000 05:13 PM     Profile for Saburo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Nibs, You got my hand counted vote!

Officer on Deck!

Carry On Dude

nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 11-18-2000 06:08 PM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, Thx!

Hey, how about oil slicks? Hmmmm...

[This message has been edited by nibbio (edited 11-18-2000).]

Posts: 166 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 11-18-2000 07:57 PM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
et voila, instant oil slicks

anybody thinks it would be cool to add an oil slick effect if you torpedo some specific area of a ship?
If so, let me know, and I'll play around with ships' damage models
Ciao,
nibbio
p.s. also would be interesting to know where approximately the oil tanks were located on carriers, battleships, cruisers and destroyers

[This message has been edited by nibbio (edited 11-18-2000).]

OSOK
Member # 7772

posted 11-18-2000 08:02 PM     Profile for OSOK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehehe.
Do u really need to ask?
OF COURSE!
nice work man...

Posts: 39 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
SPANKY
Member # 1063

posted 11-18-2000 08:04 PM     Profile for SPANKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OIL SLICKS !! OH YEA ! You got my vote, looks great
Posts: 68 | From: parksville b.c. canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 11-18-2000 09:57 PM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yup, looks damn fine for an add on. remember folks,when u vote...no hanging chads please!!

rj

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-19-2000 12:08 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, this would be very cool!!
If you could make it, make it!

Although I'm a little bit concerned that if you create more of those enhancements in the way you do now (means as quick as you do now) it will soon be time to upgrade my pc in order to prevent a slide-show !

TBird
P.S.: One question, nibbio: Is it possible to enhance the effect of bullets hitting the water (don't know the right word for it, sorry). I mean, could it be made higher (do you know this effect in WW2f?)

edit: here's a pic that should show what I mean (I hope it does)

[This message has been edited by TBird66 (edited 11-19-2000).]

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 11-19-2000 03:42 AM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, now I understand what real developers go through when they have to decide whether to include a feature...
I like the oilslick idea very much, it seems to have a rather low cost fps wise, BUT IT WILL DELAY THE RELEASE OF WAKES 2.0 at least one more weekend!!! hehehehe

Tbird66, concerning your p.s., a resounding YES! First thing just dive into that effect folder to find out which file is responsible for the specific effect. This is generally easy, since it will be named accordingly. In this case I would suspect fx_wtrspray_s.fx or fx_wtrspray_m.fx. Back up the original file, make some modification, go into the sim and try it out to confirm.
Then the real fun begins, in finding out HOW the particle system parameters have to be tweaked to find the effect you like (with maximum fps efficiency). It takes some trial and error, especially at first, but the system has amazing possibilities. Have fun!
Ciao,
nibbio
p.s. as soon as I figure out how to make a readable web page, I'll put a tutorial online; this way someone else will make what I want, and I can go back to playing the frigging game!

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-19-2000 05:02 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, yes, I think you opened the "box of pandora"
Anyway, thx, I took the first step and opened my first .fx file. Will see what I can do. Any hints or advices (I don't want to invent the wheel a second time)?

Thx
TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.