my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » microsoft-no support for this game means noboby will buy cfs3

Author Topic: microsoft-no support for this game means noboby will buy cfs3
bisher
Member # 6678

posted 11-18-2000 09:22 AM     Profile for bisher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
we as consumers actually do have some power in our hands.

we often hear how microsoft is evil because all they care about is money, (as is the nature of business), this we can use to our advantage.

i have just emailed microsoft informing them i will not purchase their products if they do not provide support for their products.

how many other companies do not provide after sales support of products they sell?

thanks for your support

bisher

Posts: 56 | From: brandon, manitoba, canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
TG
Member # 3641

posted 11-18-2000 12:51 PM     Profile for TG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Give us the Email address bisher.
I will send one on too.

Posts: 359 | From: SOmerville, NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MartinK
Member # 7795

posted 11-18-2000 02:58 PM     Profile for MartinK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate to be negative, but come on. CFS2 has stayed in the top 5 list over pc games sold since its launch. Most people who buy it buy it for the MS name, not for the support that they give! MS is a good name, a name people trust. I know of many people that have bought computers and they know nothing about them nor anything about airplanes, but the first game they buy is still a microsoft product. You have to realize that we simmers do not constitute the majority of the CFS customer base. Sending MS emails won't do anything, and what difference does it make if 300 simmers out of a total of half a million customers complain?

Martin

Posts: 33 | From: Sandefjord, Norway | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
68 Romeo
Member # 7625

posted 11-18-2000 05:19 PM     Profile for 68 Romeo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I say we all ban together and hammerum.
floodem with e-mails.Boycots,Roadblocks.
we will get a response.On the serious side,they need to ownup to there products downfalls.Im tired of being a puppet.

Posts: 58 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 11-18-2000 06:34 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dreamt I emailed MicroSoft & Bill Gates called me back on my cell phone & said how much he appreciated the improvements I suggested for cfs2 & wanted me to be a vice president in charge of cfs3 & would I consider a $3million salary per annum in addition to the shares in MicroSoft stock he was offering & when could he jet me up to to the Corporate Headquarters to take a look around... There ain't going to be any patch improvements to cfs2 unless it is a patch to fix glaring problems (doubtful, 'cuz there ain't any). WYSIWYG. It's ok by me. The way things are going the only producers of flight sims in the near future will be MicroSoft & a bunch of Russian start-up companies & a few kinky Limey firms who haven't seen the handwriting on the wall yet. CFS2 was built to specs in order to sell well & it wasn't aimed at the hard-core simmer. There ain't going to be any sims for the hard-core simmer anymore unless someone (like MicroSoft) can afford to do it at a big loss BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL ENOUGH TO MAKE A PROFIT. I must tell you that I have enjoyed both cfs1 & 2 but I don't expect too much out of them in the way hard-core simmers usually demand. And MicroSoft could care less if any of the few, bitchy hard-core simmers never buy any MicroSoft product. Live with it.
ScabFace, out
they're just games & it's just my opinion

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Krusty the Brave
Member # 7252

posted 11-18-2000 07:13 PM     Profile for Krusty the Brave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most people here brought this product knowing their was a pretty good chance it would not be patched...but brought it anyway...so what's the go with all the complaining?
I believe that the third party people who are working away on flight models and new aircraft and new weapons and campaigns are doing a fantastic job.
I think about other great sims like EAW and Falcon 4.0 and remember that it was the "people patches" that made the average sim into a great one.

Posts: 26 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 11-18-2000 10:25 PM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys are idiots and must have close ties to Palm Beach county.
CFS never needed a patch and was one of the top selling sims. CFS2 runs great, looks great, and is a lot of fun. If you want to know of another company or companies which do not support thier products, try about 80% of them. Janes FA18 had 1 patch which fixed a few minor things and then the EA team moved on and left it.
You guys complaining about CFS2 make up about 1% of everyone who owns CFS2. Funny how the other 99% don't have a problem with CFS2.
I work on computers all day long, and it amazes me how screwed up some of these machines are because idiots don't know a damn thing about maintaining a PC or maximizing it's performance.

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SilverFox441
Member # 6349

posted 11-18-2000 10:51 PM     Profile for SilverFox441   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
99% of the "patch" requests come from peope who want things that were never supposed to be in the game and aren't listed on the box. These aren't patch requests, they are requests for free upgrades.

You want a patch...identify a error in the game.

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-18-2000 11:28 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An error in the game that need's to be fixed? Nothing easier than this:
It's the "roll-damage-bug".
I'm really annoyed ("p****d off") by this! If nobody can fix it, this bug will be the reason why CFS2 will be wiped off my HD as soon as a sim will be released with similar eye-candy (yes, good graphics are very important for me these days, why should I have a high-end system for games with poor graphics). Perhaps it will be IL2 or B172, we'll see.

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fender
Member # 2054

posted 11-19-2000 02:30 AM     Profile for Fender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah but the view system sucks...It's totally sub-par for a combat related flight sim. It reeks of CFS2 being built from a civilian aviation sim. I need a player to target view and a fly by view.
Posts: 179 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 11-19-2000 04:39 AM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a culture thing.

MS developers are (obviously) pure professionals, who produced a very polished product. Although there are a few issues that need correcting CFS 2 (and all the MS sims) are well tested, stable, and runs straight from the box in 99% of cases. For many people, this is not true as they struggle to get other sims to run at all.

BUT, once the product is shipped, it's "job done". They may patch if it is absolutely necessary to fix bugs, but there is no interest in IMPROVING the product. Other developers (usually pressured by publishers who need the cash) may release early, but they CARE and patches not only fix bugs, but seek to improve the product as well both to thank the people who bought it, and for personal satisfaction in producing the best product they can.

Trot over to the Flanker 2 site at http://www.flanker2.com and check out what was in the last patch - you'll see what I mean.....

I would add that support goes far beyond patches. When I had problems with Fly! I got an e-mailed reply from the head developer same day (which actually solved the problem).... anyone ever got that sort of response from MS ?

[This message has been edited by Hertston (edited 11-19-2000).]

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-19-2000 07:46 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe the vast majority of the flightsim-buying public wouldn't know a semi-accurate sim from Crimson Skies. IMHO the folks on the boards are a small hardcore percentage of sales, and the purity of our vision counts for diddly in the corporate bottom line.

Sad, but IMHO true. Hence it's up to us (as usual) to mod the game into a sim.

Cheers!
Spinny

Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
BadBooze
Member # 7306

posted 11-19-2000 08:49 AM     Profile for BadBooze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good Morning Guys!!!

Some interesting comments, many touching on the realities of the game business --- something to keep in mind is that MS is really not in the game biz, per se, it is an adjunct to their real money makers --- the operating systems, office automation products, language development products, etc., all those things that support the sale of operating systems. If it behooved their annual shareholders statement, they could drop the game biz entirely and feel very little other than a PR fluff which would soon die.

Food for thought and we hammer MS. There are things in the game which are true functional flaws, and many things which would be nice to have changed. My prediction still holds, we will see ONE patch for sure like FS2000 and possibly one more depending on what MS's strategy is relative to follow-on games of the CFS2 sort. Time will tell.

Keep Having Fun!!! ---- BB ---

Posts: 141 | From: San Ramon, CA. USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
bisher
Member # 6678

posted 11-19-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for bisher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was not even referring to a patch, i dont think i actually complained about the flight sim itself, my comments were directed at the apparent total lack of support.

support can come in many forms other than a patch.

an example would be a 'beef' section at microsoft where we could air our views.

this would take little effort, they would not even have to read the 'beefs'.

and when i complain its because i cant get enough of a good thing, at least in this case.

seawolf, i bet you a loonie, the bitchers at this foum like this game more than the 99 percent who found no problems with it. betch ya!

Posts: 56 | From: brandon, manitoba, canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.