my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » OT:Best Video card, advice needed?

Author Topic: OT:Best Video card, advice needed?
FAJEN
Member # 7642

posted 11-16-2000 11:36 AM     Profile for FAJEN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for the slightly off topic note but I would like to know today's best video card. I do lots of Web design, photo editing and of course CFS2 Is the nVidia GeForce GTS the best of the best? What is the exact title and how difficult is it to install and configure a video card?
Thanks!

Dave

Posts: 10 | From: OH | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-16-2000 01:13 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Depends. I went with the GTS at $339+shipping because I also upgraded my processor at the same time to a PIII 800 (retail boxed version with 3yr warranty) at $325+shipping. If your running a midrange PII450, the Voodoo will give you more horsepower from what I understand, but they suck up the power and run hot so check your power supply output. The GTS uses 10watts off your AGP slot and comes with a fan. No problem for most. If you got a PIII 500+, I'd recommend the GTS. All of the new games seem to be using D3D so there shouldn't be any issues. Ram is important too. Going from 128 to 256 keeps my harddrive quiet all of the time. I'd suggest you read the reviews and any other info you can get your hands on. It's all on the internet. The Voodoo5 is about $300. An interim step would be the Geforce2 MX card at about $145. It'll keep up with the big boys on the lower resolutions to about 1152x864 and then it starts to fall behind on framerates. Research and then make your decision. The GTS kicks butt in EAW. Installation was pretty easy although I had my computer guru do it for me while I watched. Just a matter of starting up in safe mode and removing the old drivers and hardware device thingmes. Then shut down, change out the cards and start up again and load the new drivers from the disk. To confusing for me to do without the expert; but really not hard.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
crawlmjk
Member # 7170

posted 11-16-2000 04:17 PM     Profile for crawlmjk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bigshot, out of curiosity, do you know the power consumption for the VooDoo 5 5500 AGP? I've heard before that it's a power hog but never seen an actual figure anywhere. Thinking of buying it and need to know if my measly (235 Watt) power supply will carry it.

I've got a VooDoo 3 3000 AGP now running with no probs and wonder if I'll be pushing it with the 5-5500.Thanks.

chingaman
Member # 3657

posted 11-16-2000 04:33 PM     Profile for chingaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a voodoo5 and it works great with a 250 watt ps. I also know people with 225 and even 200 watt that have it no problems.
Posts: 47 | From: chicago | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-16-2000 05:36 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All I know for sure is what I read when researching what card I should get. I got nothing against Voodoos. Never tried one. Read somewhere that a 300 watt power supply was recommended. Talked to my computer guru and he did some research and suggested that I should stay away from the Voodoo for power reasons (I got a 200 watt power supply) and because the tech manual is like the size of the New York City telephone directory. He said the same thing about the Diamond Cards. His observations were that the Voodoo will work fine on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays. I got the point. Hey, don't mean to talk anyone out of anything. Just provided some info. It's a personal choice and should be researched. If you like what's being said, go for it.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 11-16-2000 06:01 PM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Voodoo 5 5500 is neither a "power-hog" nor does it have a tech manual like that. I had a GeForce and was very unhappy with it: a) too many different drivers; one never knows which one is best for a certain game b) GeForce cards ARE power hogs! I have an Athlon 800 on a K7 board with 256MB RAM, so this alone needs a whole lot of stable power. With my 300W power supply, the GeForce would NOT let me have the stable system I had before.

A lucky occasion let me have the chance to check out a Voodoo 5 5500 with the same system. After 1 hour, I was amazed and totally sure I would keep this baby.

The Voodoo 5 5500 gets it's power the same way your HD does - NOT via the AGP slot like the GeForce does! The system was stable as before with my Voodoo 3 3000.

Then the Hardware FSAA - man you got to see this to believe. CFS2 in 800x600 at ~60FPS, looking better than 1024x768, plus the extra frames!! Add to this the new Dx8 drivers, and flightsim-heaven is spread open wide before you.

GeForce boards have a slight advantage in Glide games like Q3A and UT, but racing games and flightsims are definitely the optimum playground for the V5. The D3D performance is simply stunning.

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.