my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » So how does this game run on a GeForce2?

Author Topic: So how does this game run on a GeForce2?
Fender
Member # 2054

posted 11-14-2000 01:56 AM     Profile for Fender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got a GeForce2, I bet this game runs really nice on a GF2...I think I read somewhere that CFS2 takes advantage of the GF2's Hardware T&L ability.

I'm looking foward to buying this game and running it on my GeForce2! Unless of course it has some kind of problems with a GeForce2...please tell me if it does.

Posts: 179 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 11-14-2000 04:06 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, terrible frame rate problems!

You only get tons of frame rate. (metric)

=(

Go get it! I have an MX, and with everything at maximum settings, it never dips below 25 in a mission I made with 78 planes, 16 ships, a base, an island with a hugh veiny mountain, a neighboring base with 8 flak guns, flak 30 flak guns blaring at the first base, and 18 more planes that show up to spank those bases 5 minutes after I show up.

It ususally stays around 50, give or take 15.

@500Mhz, 256Mb, and an FFX stick..

Pasha

Flanker35M
Member # 7450

posted 11-14-2000 04:25 AM     Profile for Flanker35M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S!

Go get it!I run CFS2,whenever it doesn't decide to CTD,on DirectX 8.0 and Detonator3 v6.47.Framerates are good and image quality also good.Recommend!

Flanker

777Pilot
Member # 7922

posted 11-14-2000 08:35 AM     Profile for 777Pilot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Won't run on my system.. Creative Annihaltor 2 card, tried every nvidia driver from 5.13 up, DX8 kicks me out after flying for 15-30 seconds... maybe sound card related though because if I pull the sound card out... it doesn't lock up.. (Diamond MX300 with Aureal drivers..)

Ideas??

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-14-2000 08:53 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PIII 800 Geforce2GTS 64mg 256mg Ram and SBLive5.1 and runs great at 1600x1200x32 and 1600x1200x16. Any other resolutions and I get flickering on the monitor. Damn thing is too fast for my 1.5 year old Sony Trinitron so says my computer guy. Tried 5.16a from CD, 5.32 from Hercules and installed the 6.31 detonator drivers and got the old OUT OF SCAN RANGE EVERYWHERE message. Had to restart in safe mode and get rid of the 6.31 drivers. Went back to the CD 5.16a drivers and system can handle them. FPS are 25 to 40 at 1600x1200x32 with everything max'd except DEM Slider on Medium. Now, I'm not complaining, mind you. Just gotta go buy a new 21" high res monitor. Geez!!!!!!

Go for it, I say. I stuffed all this crap in my Dell Dimension PII 450 TNT1 putter and it works fine. "FINGERS STILL CROSSED". Just don't blow up your monitor with it????

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ming_123UK
Member # 7155

posted 11-14-2000 08:57 AM     Profile for Ming_123UK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>Damn thing is too fast for my 1.5 year old Sony Trinitron so says my computer guy. Tried 5.16a from CD, 5.32 from Hercules and installed the 6.31 detonator drivers and got the old OUT OF SCAN RANGE EVERYWHERE message.

Use HzTool to set refresh rates, and get the .inf file for your monitor.

Posts: 105 | From: London UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flanker35M
Member # 7450

posted 11-14-2000 11:53 AM     Profile for Flanker35M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S!

777Pilot!Does the sim just kick You to the desktop without any warning?If so I have the same problem with my TerraTec DMXFire1024-sound card.It also has Aureal 2.0-support....Could it be the reason?

Flanker

Truro
Member # 679

posted 11-14-2000 01:14 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read there's a bug with Aureal cards and a MB chipset, maybe VIA, will have to look..
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-14-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before I gutted my putter, I was using a TNTv4400 with a Montego II A3D sound card and it ran fine. Only one CTD in a weeks play. Sliders half way up just wasn't good enough for me though. But it was stable then and it's stable now. No CTDs yet and seems stable as EAW which is like running a word processor. No issues whatsoever.
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 11-14-2000 01:46 PM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BigShot,

If you install the other drivers again, and then reboot to the out of range message, go safe mode, and go to the advanced settings (on the desktop applet for video drivers) and set the refresh rates to Adapter Default...

Then, reboot, and set each resolution manually to the right ones. (counts for color depth too)

I have that same problem, and my monitor is 3 days old, GeForce trys to use the highest (like WAY HIGH) rates for some stupid reason.

:|

Pasha

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-14-2000 02:19 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Ming_123UK and Pasha: HUH??????????????? You guys are talking greek, kinda. HEHE. I set my monitor to "adapter default" when I was in safe mode and uninstalled the 631s and then rebooted and installed the 5.16a drivers from the disk. Something like that anyway. Hell, I'm still confused as to what I did??? Guess I should have done one at a time, HUH?? Just another reboot is all if it would have still been screwed. The 5.16a drivers work really well. I really think it was a monitor issue. I don't know what Ming_123UK is talking about. Besides, I really need a good excuse to get that BOOKOO Big 21" Monitor. I don't know what this Sony is doing, but it seems to be working fine on "adapter default". Smells like it did when it was new, ya know; that burning odor. HEHE. We'll see, like I said, fingers are crossed.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-14-2000 02:36 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"working well" that is except for the flashing problems in any res other than 1600x1200 in CFS2. CFS1 got uninstalled despite the fact that it was frigging gorgeous in 32 bit color. The main thing is that EAW is awesome now with 1.2a fsaa and no horizon fog. We need some traffic cops in the sky!!!
777Pilot
Member # 7922

posted 11-14-2000 05:35 PM     Profile for 777Pilot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flanker,

yes it just kicks me without warning... funny thing is FSim 2000 Pro works like a charm!!

My dad also plays some of these online games, and he was getting lock ups as well until I removed the card... If I need to get a soundblaster, fine no problem, but if thats not the problem.. grrr I'm gonna be mad!!!!!!!!!

Ming_123UK
Member # 7155

posted 11-16-2000 04:44 AM     Profile for Ming_123UK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>To Ming_123UK...I set my monitor to "adapter default" when I was in safe mode...I really think it was a monitor issue. I don't know what Ming_123UK is talking about.

LOL!

>>Use HzTool to set refresh rates, and get the .inf file for your monitor.

HzTool is freely downloadable (do a search? <g> ) and it's a must, trust me on this...

Your monitor manufacturer may have an information file (.inf suffix) which you can d/l and install to get Windows and your monitor talking to each other.

Set your monitors refresh rate to 75Hz in the Control Panel settings. Do NOT set the refresh rate to "optimal" - trust me on this again

Drivers installation.

Remove the drivers if you wish from the Add/Remove panel (you don't need to do this, and you don't need to go to safe mode) but:-

Set up a GeForce folder, make a Drivers folder in there, download the drivers zipfile (7.17 are good) and unzip them into that folder...

You'll see a .inf file in there after unzipping, something like nvidia.inf - this is another example of how inf (information) files contain lots of info that your Windows install can see and work with.

Change your video adaptor to "Standard VGA (PCI) adaptor" and reboot. You should then be in 640x480 - don't panic at this point, but go to the Control Panel and do the "change adaptor" thing again. This again may cause a panic - persist - because you'll need to point Windows to the folder that contains the drivers that you installed earlier - to the GeForce/Drivers folder.

You should choose the "Browse" option when the "which folder contains the drivers?" - paraphrasing - dialog comes up on taking the "change adaptor" from the panel.

Windows is looking for the inf file, which tells it which files to load from that folder, along with lots of registry entries.

When you've got the drivers installed, set up for 75Hz refresh rate - vertical sync - from:-
Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Adaptor

Install HzTool and set refresh rates to sensible values (in your monitor manual) such as 75Hz for up to 1024x768 and 72Hz for above that resolution. Do a save...

Every time you change drivers you'll need to set up HzTool, but it takes only a few moments once you've twigged how it works

Best of luck and you can contact me at:-

[email protected] com

-if you need more help

Ming out.

Posts: 105 | From: London UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.