my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » War Stories: Auger80 (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: War Stories: Auger80
curlytop
Member # 7691

posted 11-15-2000 02:49 AM     Profile for curlytop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tristan Smith uses a real name instead of a handle for his member name. Has anyone checked to see if this name has a listing in La Mesa, California? I did

You know, my Dad has a scar on his neck. He was wounded on Dec 7, 1941 during the raid.... Well maybe I better not say because I only have his word on this, and you would only have my word

Posts: 76 | From: Jackson, TN, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 11-15-2000 05:37 AM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I checked too. He's there all right. The internet plays funny games with the human psyche.
If the Mr. Smith posting here is the genuine article I just hope he wasn't too upset by this whole sorry business (I think I would be, and I'm 40, not 80).

Posts: 166 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Clevy911
Member # 1494

posted 11-15-2000 06:13 AM     Profile for Clevy911   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't have this sim and I have never visited the CFS2 forum, but I really feel bad for this Auger80's experience here. A couple of troubled people feeding on the uproar they can bring and disrepecting Auger80 and his life. Any half-intelligent person would have gotten the proof before making these accusations on Auger80's credibility. These are men driven by emotion rather than intelligence.

To Tristan Smith
I sincerly apologize.

Posts: 91 | From: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mr X
Member # 7900

posted 11-15-2000 07:12 AM     Profile for Mr X   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
P.T. Barnum would have made a killing here.

Mr X

Brat
Member # 7974

posted 11-15-2000 09:20 AM     Profile for Brat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beery:

and as for the fact that someone posted a story using a false name, apart from you, WHO CARES?

Me...the grandson of a bomber pilot and squadron commander that gave his life for his country...now sit down and STFU!

You know that they dedicate a magazine to outing people that claim they were WWII veterans but aren't?

Posts: 16 | From: Flux | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beery
Member # 3209

posted 11-15-2000 03:42 PM     Profile for Beery   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"now sit down and STFU!"

Do we really have to listen to this garbage?

You are beneath contempt for using your relatives' military record to support your argument against free speech. You folks will really have to do better than telling me to shut up, using profanity, and calling me names.

My father was in the army in the '50s. During the war, my mother endured the Blitz. My grandfather, great uncle, and my great-grandfather fought in WW1, believing they were fighting for rights like free speech (as, presumably did your grandfather in WW2). I had an uncle in the Air Force, another uncle at El Alemein, and yet another uncle was killed in Cyprus. Heck, from what I can gather, I even had a relative at the Battle of Trafalgar, fighting against Napoleon. These people all believed they were fighting for decency, fairness, and freedom from bullies such as yourself. My family's military record rivals that of almost anyone, so don't come here, bringing your relatives into the fight - they would be on the side of fairness, rather than the side of injustice. You should be ashamed.

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 11-15-2000).]

Posts: 86 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kraigman
Member # 197

posted 11-15-2000 04:51 PM     Profile for Kraigman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't let it get to you, Beery. These hotheads aren't worth the bandwidth...
Posts: 144 | From: Franklin, MA. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Brat
Member # 7974

posted 11-15-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for Brat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beery:
"now sit down and STFU!"

Do we really have to listen to this garbage?

You are beneath contempt for using your relatives' military record to support your argument against free speech. You folks will really have to do better than telling me to shut up, using profanity, and calling me names.

My father was in the army in the '50s. During the war, my mother endured the Blitz. My grandfather, great uncle, and my great-grandfather fought in WW1, believing they were fighting for rights like free speech (as, presumably did your grandfather in WW2). I had an uncle in the Air Force, another uncle at El Alemein, and yet another uncle was killed in Cyprus. Heck, from what I can gather, I even had a relative at the Battle of Trafalgar, fighting against Napoleon. These people all believed they were fighting for decency, fairness, and freedom from bullies such as yourself. My family's military record rivals that of almost anyone, so don't come here, bringing your relatives into the fight - they would be on the side of fairness, rather than the side of injustice. You should be ashamed.

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 11-15-2000).]

HA HA HA...

Let me get this straight...YOU are giving someone a lecture on free speech? Aren't you same guy that got all hot a huffy because someone questioned anothers story about being a war veteran? I'd swear he was only practicing free speech.

What I find even more humorous is you claim me "beneath contempt" for using my grandfathers military record to get my point across and then in the NEXT paragraph you begin spouting off your entire family's military record...

You sir...are a complete and utter hypocrite.

Posts: 16 | From: Flux | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 11-15-2000 07:07 PM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pasha:
[B]Let me rephrase that, sorry for the mis-spoken part of that post...

I *am* getting service INFORMATION from the squadron alumni...

<< This serviceman's service information would NOT be available to you. Again you are dealing with private controlled infromation. The Alumni association ( which you've never been specific about) would not have the detailed information you seek.

This individual may not be a member of any organization. There are QUITE a few vets who are not a member of the American Legion, VFW, or any association what so ever.

Besides, I've never heard of a Veteran organization called an alumni before.. I thought that term was reserved for Academia.

I reiterate my earlier posting.

Except for having a man from a sister squadron post here for confirmation, looks like Lt. Smith may have died in 1994, that isn't a fact to me yet, as it is 3rd hand knowledge.

<< During WWII the US had over 3.5 million men under arms. In the five branches of the services there was probably MORE THAN ONE Lt. Tristan P. SMITH in the AAF.

I know this to be true as there were at least 4 LLOYD H. COLE s in the USMC at the same time I was on active duty. One was a Captain, 2 Sgts and 1 S/Sgt (me). How did I find this out? I got one of these guys LES ( Leave and Earning STatement) a couple of times.

So this person may be alive and another Smith bought the farm in '44.

Anyways, I appreciate your service, and I'd do the same for you, thank you.

(hat off)

<< You're welcome.

Besides, WHY the big deal over this anyway? I enjoyed the story and I lMAO at the part where the monkey dived at the troops going to the club part.

Take a chill pill and as I said before, give the guy a break, OK?

Posts: 184 | From: Danville, Va USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beery
Member # 3209

posted 11-16-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for Beery   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Aren't you same guy that got all hot a huffy because someone questioned anothers story about being a war veteran? I'd swear he was only practicing free speech."

Shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre is not protected free speech. People have rights protecting them from slander. You can't just accuse someone of being a liar without proof - proof which you and your pals don't have.

Don't blame me because you folks got on the wrong side of this issue - you made your bed, now you've got to lie in it. You just can't handle the fact that we're right and you're wrong.

"You sir...are a complete and utter hypocrite."

Pot calling the kettle black.

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 11-16-2000).]

Posts: 86 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-16-2000 10:32 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a war story thread, or just a war? *grin*

Here's one for ya ...

Flying a long-range deployment for the Rapid Deployment Force. Bird was an EC-130H tactical jammer. Over Maine, on the way to England, enroute to "somewhere." *wink*

There's a loud report, some shuddering and a marked slew of the aircraft, then engine-out lights for 3 and 4. The FE leaps into action for emergency re-starts when Nav calls out "don't bother; there's nothing out there to re-start." Number 3 looked to be a hollow nacelle, while the prop for number 4 was slewed 45 degrees from true and had chewed into the leding edge before it finally stopped.

Ye cats and dogs.

A Herc on two engines is just mildly annoyed, not really in serious hurt, but that can make ya think, ya know? Called the Big E and made a landing without further ado.

Seems the gearbox for number 3 had siezed, causing the prop immediately to depart the aircraft. Thankfully it was on the right side, it zoomed off to the right and into number 4 instead of the cockpit! There was still a number 3 engine, but it was rolling around loose in the nacelle.

They never found the missing prop.

The ground troops along for the ride accepted the offer of ground transportation back to home base.

The Herc rules.

Cheers!
Spinny

Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.