my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » collisions

Author Topic: collisions
Silencer
Member # 6965

posted 11-12-2000 09:14 AM     Profile for Silencer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have another complaint!
It seems far too easy to collide in CFS2. Even when an aircraft seems to be quite a distance away from me i still manage to crash into him. Last night i played an online game and we crashed more times than we shot each other down! There's gotta be a fix for this.
Thanks again

Posts: 11 | From: South Yorkshire, England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-12-2000 09:52 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like lag? as in on screen you weren't that close but in cyberspace once the packets were dropped you *were* that close.

Remember the good old days of Doom in DOS when you warped about the screen-and died when you can't remember being shot

I haven't tried online yet but it probably is quite intensive?

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
OSOK
Member # 7772

posted 11-12-2000 10:07 AM     Profile for OSOK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i experienced same thing first time I played the sim in multi. And it wasnt lag. We were both taxing down the rwy, I was parked, and my partner was following, and I remember colliding when at a distance of about 20 feet. To all those mod-people, can you find out whhere is the collission bubble at?
Posts: 39 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 11-12-2000 10:34 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hve collided with fighters that were several yards away. Another thing that bugs me, is that when ever you collide, you blow up (the computer does not always though). I liked in EAW, you could ram a plane and still have a chance to jump out. In CFS2, it is impossible to repeat that episode where a P-40 rammed a Jap fighter and only lost a little bit of wing tip.
Willem
Member # 6591

posted 11-12-2000 11:34 AM     Profile for Willem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This collision thing is becoming a big annoyance for me.
I could live with those yellow brackets, but exploding in mid-air because you’re within a wings length from another plane?!?

Posts: 73 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
VMF-124_Gramps

Member # 0

posted 11-13-2000 12:09 AM     Profile for VMF-124_Gramps     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S! Yall,

I'd like to here an answer on this myself. I've posted to other boards and so far nothing. We've had that with formation flying when my wingman was 130ft out. Don't think that was lag, and it was pretty consistant. Just wondering, and bumpin this up.

Gramps

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
JETninja
Member # 1400

posted 11-13-2000 03:06 PM     Profile for JETninja   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm waiting on my copy of CFS2 to show up, but at www.cfsipgames.com we found that in CFS1, in the cfs.cfg file there is a line collision=X. Default X is "2". We lowered to "0" and it helped big time, but when exiting the game it changed to "1", which should help also. Open up the CFS2.cfg and check it out, I'm sure it exists in there also. Come back and give some feedback.

This fix was posted by Diamond http://y2k_usnavy.homestead.com

------------------
Der Gabelschwanz Teufel!
The Fork-Tailed Devil!

JET

Posts: 174 | From: SoCal, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
OSOK
Member # 7772

posted 11-13-2000 03:34 PM     Profile for OSOK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want this fixed too.
I looked up the Cfs2.cfg file, and the only line I found that has somethign to do with this is
COLLISION_SECS=2
thing is, this line was under multiplayer. And, if im not wrong, what this does, its set the number of seconds that displayed the exploding aircraft after colliding. If its this, why under the multiplayer section of the file?
anyhow, Im gonna be doing some testing. If anyone finds anything, please inform.

OSOK

VMF-124_Gramps

Member # 0

posted 11-13-2000 07:00 PM     Profile for VMF-124_Gramps     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Ninja, I was gonna get that up here, but that is the fix that has recommended. 124 will be trying tonight sometime, and will post some results.
VMF-124_Gramps

Member # 0

posted 11-15-2000 11:11 AM     Profile for VMF-124_Gramps     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Change the line in the config gents, it works. The only collisions experienced in our testing were very deliberate. S! Yall
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 11-15-2000 11:23 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gramps,
Change what line to what value?

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-15-2000 06:19 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gee Gramps, why do u post 'eurekas!' withouts givin the 'how to'

slugged
Member # 1255

posted 11-15-2000 08:50 PM     Profile for slugged   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As OSOK stated the only line in CFS2.CFG that mentions collision is under the Multiplayer heading and is COLLISION_SECS=2

I don't think this is the same setting as CFS1.

slugged

VMF-124_Gramps

Member # 0

posted 11-15-2000 09:02 PM     Profile for VMF-124_Gramps     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry folks. Find your CFS2.cfg. Open that up and go down to the MP section and find the line that states collision=2. Change the 2 to a 1. File close save. Everybody you fly with will have to have that changed but it works. Sorry for the Eureka with no explanation.
OSOK
Member # 7772

posted 11-15-2000 09:44 PM     Profile for OSOK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gramps... um, are you sure? because that line shouldnt have anyhting to do with the collision bubble... first of all, why would it be under the multiplater section? so it doesnt apply to the single player missions?
i believe what that line does, as I was told by someone, and as it makes much sense, it is the time a certain object can be in your collision bubble, before being treated as one. For lag... for example.
But please, If this was really tested, and it really does reduce the collision bubble, can you post some pics or something?

[This message has been edited by OSOK (edited 11-15-2000).]

VMF-124_Gramps

Member # 0

posted 11-16-2000 10:19 AM     Profile for VMF-124_Gramps     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"look in the combatfs.cfg file and find collision_secs=2 change it to =1 or =0
......all in game must use same info
a larger number makes you collide sooner"
from Diamond, CFS2 forum at cfsipgames.

The issues I questioned were in multi-player games. So I think it would be safe to assume that the fix is in the mp section of cfg.

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 11-16-2000 08:17 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Gramps ..

if that is what it does, then it should be set to 0..
best way to find out is to experiment.
cheers

JETninja
Member # 1400

posted 11-16-2000 11:32 PM     Profile for JETninja   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you read my post above....Diamond and others found that after changing it to "0", the game would change it back to "1" upon exiting the game. So unless you and all your online friends want to open up the CFS.cfg everytime before you fly to change it to "0", ......make it a "1" and forget it......pass the word though!
Posts: 174 | From: SoCal, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.