my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Screen "Freeze"/System Crashing

Author Topic: Screen "Freeze"/System Crashing
Robin Mun-Gavin
Member # 1474

posted 11-10-2000 01:49 PM     Profile for Robin Mun-Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently purchased a new computer - a 800MHz PIII with 128 MB RAM and a Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP graphics card.The system runs on Windows Me.

I have subsequent to this, acquired MCFS2, but when running this the screen "freezes"/system crashes every now and again. It means me having to switch off the power - ouch!!

I have upgraded the graphics card (with the Detonator 3 upgrade) and I have now tried to upgrade the driver on my Microsoft Precision Pro Force Feedback Joystick - I downloaded the "patch" from Microsoft's website (I have Game Controller Software 3.0 for the joystick)and tried to install it, but Windows Me would not "allow" it - saying that it had not verified the (upgrade)driver for Windows Me (the joystick driver/patch readme file refers to Windows 95 & 98).

Has anyone got any suggestions for me?

Posts: 68 | From: Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-10-2000 04:02 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The new series of detonator drivers are not for the tnts from what I understand so if you installed the 631 driver on a tnt that could be one of the problems. The update for the MSSWFFB Pro is supposed to be used only if you're having a problem with you existing one. It could cause problems. Read the fine print at Microsoft if that's where you got it. Were you having problems before the upgrades???
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ender
Member # 7410

posted 11-10-2000 04:35 PM     Profile for Ender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm currently using the 6.18's with a TNT2 M64 and have no problems whatsoever. I know the old 2.xx's are supposed to be better but not on my system. In fact since using the 6.18's I have managed to clear up a few visual problems related to land textures "ghosting" under the sea. My system specs are nothing special but I get 20-25fps consistently with no crashes or hangs at all.
Celeron A 500mhz/64mb RAM/TNT2-M64 on a Maxi Gamer Cougar/Force Feedback Pro joystick/DX 8.0. The only problems I have experienced are trying to get fully laden aircraft off the carriers successfully !!!

Posts: 16 | From: Hull, England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Robin Mun-Gavin
Member # 1474

posted 11-11-2000 05:24 AM     Profile for Robin Mun-Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system continues to "crash". As mentioned above, I'm trying everything and I'm hoping that a "patch"/driver for my Microsoft Force Feedback Precision Pro Joystick will help (?).As I said above the patch/software is available for Windows 95 & 98, but not for Windows Me. I've tried to post the question on-line to Microsoft but am having difficulty getting this done - US and Canadian users can apparently log these queries.
Can someone (in the USA) please approach Microsoft and ask them if there's software/driver for the Sidewinder Precision Pro Force Feedback Joystick (beyond v 3.0, which came with the joystick) and which is designed for Windows Me (I have a Nvidia Riva TNT M64 graphics card - which needed a new driver/software with Windows 95/98).

I would be grateful for any help in this regard.

Posts: 68 | From: Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
NicholasWYJ
Member # 3101

posted 11-11-2000 07:26 PM     Profile for NicholasWYJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got the same problem as Robin. Actually everything is good before jumping into cockpit. Whenever the plane starts to move, say after 4-10 seconds, the screen becomes a freezing mess and crashes or crashes to desktop. And then whatever my mouse cursor touches on the desktop, system tells me "Explorer error", and I have no choice but to reboot system. My system includes PIII 650, 256 RAM, GF DDR 32M, MX300, Win98 OS, and DX7.0a. I got CFS2 last morning and all the night has been spent to resolve the graphic problem. However, I managed to find out that the problem is caused by "hardware acceleration". If I turned off that option in "display" menu, the game runs, of course, aweful graphics. I, then downloaded the latest 631 driver. But the problem is still there. And then I reinstalled DX7.0a and it's still there. So I come here for help. Thank you!
Posts: 71 | From: Beijing, China PR | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.