my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Cloud problems, maybe the Graphics card is not the problem?

Author Topic: Cloud problems, maybe the Graphics card is not the problem?
Huw
Member # 419

posted 11-08-2000 08:02 AM     Profile for Huw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK this is getting interesting / annoying considering all other aspects of this great sim, graphics of course included.
CFS2 standard clouds are still exhibiting the strange saw edge features in particularly the heavy dark clouds and medium cloud weather options. Have a look at Tbird66s screen shots (they were of the add on clouds but my problem is are identical) http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum62/HTML/001235.html

Btw I only notice this in the virtual cockpit / padlock view (my view of choice) and the outside panning view, not the 2D cockpit…….I’ve tried 3.77, 6.31 and 6.35 Nvidia drivers and no end of display setting combinations both from Quick Tweak in the task bar and within the game it’s self. I still get the same results.

My system is comprised of Win98SE DX7with Creative Annihilator Pro (Geforce with DDR memory), Abit BE6 with a Celeron2 555 at 800 MHz, 256MB of PC100, AWE64 (fixed the graphics stuttering with the sound accel slider) and a Thrustmaster F22Pro, F16TQS and TM Elite pedals.

Now the interesting part was that I installed the game on my daughter’s PC (basically pre upgrade parts from my current machine). Again…..Win98SE DX7with 2x Orchid Voodoo2 in SLI latest DX7 drivers, ATI 2D/3D RageII primary card, AOpen AX6B with a Celeron1 300 at 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, SB16 (again fixed the graphics stuttering with the sound accel slider) and Saitek joytstick & throttle combo.
The result exactly the same saw edge features in the heavy dark clouds and medium cloud weather options using two Voodod2 cards in SLI. Now being fortunate enough to try it on two quite different machines and seeing exactly the same distortions leads me to suspect it as a Microsoft issue rather than a graphics card / driver issue?
Maybe it’s worth trying it your self, in free flight set Time/weather to “Heavy clouds” take off a head for a nice dark one…….fly straight towards it in the virtual cockpit and see what happens.

Thanks

Huw

Posts: 53 | From: Reading, Berkshire, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.