my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Midway campaign

Author Topic: Midway campaign
tiamat
Member # 6124

posted 11-07-2000 10:42 AM     Profile for tiamat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would like to make a Midway historically accuarate campaign. Any interest here?

...and some documentation?

tiamat

PS: I've tried one from the net and I was disappointed, that campaign has nothing to do with the way things actually happened at Midway.

------------------
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

Posts: 158 | From: Bucharest, Romania | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aviar
Member # 3297

posted 11-07-2000 12:15 PM     Profile for Aviar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I'm interested. The more accurate the better. What do you have in mind?

Aviar

Posts: 196 | From: Bergen County, NJ USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
JAS49
Member # 7611

posted 11-07-2000 12:35 PM     Profile for JAS49   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would be interested,finished Walter Lord's book "Incredible Victory" last week,just finished watching the movie "Midway."
Posts: 24 | From: Inwood, WV,USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
tiamat
Member # 6124

posted 11-08-2000 05:34 AM     Profile for tiamat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got that book. It's a great one. But I didn't see the movie yet.

------------------
Windoze unexpected error no. 1 message: "Everything seems to works fine. Please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fix this."

Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 11-08-2000 05:51 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tiamat:

PS: I've tried one from the net and I was disappointed, that campaign has nothing to do with the way things actually happened at Midway.

I beg your pardon? I only made a small fudge on the final mission, the cruiser attack on Midway was planned, but called off when it was found that they would still be under Midway's fighter umbrella at dawn(ofcourse I added the fighters...or else you wouldnt have anything to do!). All other missions in my campaign are as historically accurate as is allowable within the game engine.
For reference I used the book:"Midway-the battle that doomed Japan" by Mitsuo Fuchida.

EDIT:
Fuchida was aboard Akagi during the battle recovering from an apendectomy, I believe he was aware of what occured during the battle.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

[This message has been edited by Blond_Knight (edited 11-08-2000).]

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tiamat
Member # 6124

posted 11-08-2000 07:27 AM     Profile for tiamat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Blond_Knight, but you aren't right. Please read the Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory". It's a very well documented book and I believe it's the closest to the historycall facts as a book can be.

After the first american carries's SBD strike, 3 japanese carriers were left burnin' in flames (Akagi, Kaga and Soryu) and the 4th (Hiryu) escaped only because was separated from the rest of them during prior american strikes.

I saw in your (it's made by you?) campaign that after the american strike the Akagi and Hiryu was left in good conditions to continue the battle.

I intend to make a huge campaign (for both sides and containing recon, bomb and torpedo missions). I could use any help you can get.

So, I'm waitin' ...

And I have a PBY-5A Catalina model who dosn't want to launch his torpedo (but it let's me select it)...Any ideea?

And where I may find a Buffalo Brewster model?

If anyone interested, I've made CFS2 panels for SBD, TBF, TBD, Val, Kate and PBY (with various components taken from the net) ...

+tiamat

------------------
Windoze unexpected error no. 1 message: "Everything seems to works fine. Please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fix this."

Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 11-08-2000 10:12 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IF our sources are to be trusted we might BOTH be right, and its not worth getting into a squabble over. However the fact that you are apparently using US sources and Im using IJN might have something to do with the descrepancy. In reference to your comment about Hiryu, according to my data was the last operational(undamaged) carrier in Carrier Division 1, and remember I said "as accurate as the game engine would allow"...I had to give the pilot somewhere to land!

------------------

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tiamat
Member # 6124

posted 11-08-2000 10:38 AM     Profile for tiamat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The same thing says and the japanese sources (please visit the official IJN's site). And about landings, you could make planes to land on any carrier you want (ie takeoff from Akagi and land on Hiryu) ... after Hiryu was scuttled, they all have to ditch in the Pacific Ocean!

Would you help me in building this campaign?

+tiamat

------------------
Windoze unexpected error no. 1 message: "Everything seems to work fine. Please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fix this."

Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 11-08-2000 10:42 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure, maybe two heads are better than one

Im available up until Xmas, but with a new system, I cant say what I'll be doing then.
Give me a shout, Im curious to hear what you have in mind.
[email protected]

------------------

nibbio
Member # 7579

posted 11-08-2000 11:01 AM     Profile for nibbio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys keep us posted. I would just love a huge, complex and realistic Midway campaign! Thanks!
Posts: 166 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 2252

posted 11-08-2000 11:26 AM     Profile for Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, can't wait to see what you guys come up with!
Posts: 67 | From: Clayton,CA USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
darren34
Member # 7473

posted 11-09-2000 11:30 PM     Profile for darren34   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds awesome! Keep us posted.

darren

Posts: 32 | From: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.