my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Thanks Spot

Author Topic: Thanks Spot
Tenchu
Member # 7606

posted 11-06-2000 09:01 PM     Profile for Tenchu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I appreciate the thorough answer. I own the US Aircraft Carriers by N. Friedman put out by Naval Institute Press. The info about the other titles sure gives me a good starting point.

Funny thing that you mentioned Enterprise and her scrapping. I met a retired naval aviator at my local Publix market a couple of months ago who flew Hellcats & Wildcats off of Enterprise. He approached me because I was wearing a CVS11 Intrepid cap. We talked about carriers and he related about the effort by the state of NY and WW2 flyers to save Enterprise as a memorial. He spoke about the last time he saw Enterprise, moored, in Bayonne NJ awaiting her turn to come on the breakers. It's sad that she didn't make it...

Posts: 13 | From: Deltona, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-06-2000 10:20 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - photos I saw showed a hulk with no flight deck.

Seriously - If you ever want to do research on a ship contact the National Archive.
I did a small monograph for Floating Drydock in 1993 (The JUNEAU ISBN: 0-944055-04-4, $4.00 - no longer in print) Made enough royalties to cover expenses. The photos they have are not to be believed and are rarely seen because most researchers depend on the archive to pick the photos for you. Hence the same old photos in the books. I'm out here in the Pacific but if I lived where you lived I'd visit them or would get the address for the U.S. Naval Historical Center or National Archive and send them a letter on any detailed info you want. 10 years ago I sent a letter requesting info on the USS ATLANTA and USS JUNEAU not expecting anything. Got hardly anything on ATLANTA - On the JUNEAU I got really GREAT photos on her refit at the New York Navy Yard. Scored one photo showing JUNEAU's midship with ATLANTA in the background. The real coup was finding a photo taken of the JUNEAU the afternoon of November 12th shooting at BETTY bombers. Of course you know what happened to her that night. Photo was mislabled USS SAN FRANCISCO. (Only a personal visit to the Archives, dumb luck, an after action report with map that I had earlier dismissed, and more dumb luck got me that puppy.)

A trip to the National Archive to look at photos on any subject that interests you - well it gives you goose bumps. Don't have to be Norman Friedman - just got to follow their rules.

Years ago I ran into a guy who knew someone stationed in China before the war and told me he saw an album of Japanese Naval vessels in color in Shanghai. Album got lost in a house fire.

Enough to make you cry. - if you are a nut about those things.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 11-06-2000).]

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 11-06-2000 10:35 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
... and if that doesn't there was a Japanese camera men taking newsreel footage of the inferno on AKAGI's deck after she was bombed
- if you believe Walter Lord's MIRACLE AT MIDWAY. Guess it didn't get past the censors - or survive the sinking.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/

Be sure to pack your mosquito repellent.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 11-06-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.