my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » FM 1.7?????

Author Topic: FM 1.7?????
Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 11-05-2000 07:14 PM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried the 1.6 on the A6M5 Zero and it's practically un flyable. At least for combat anyway, naturally it MHO, but It seems like a Stall Magnet.....
IS 1.7 coming shortly and will the M5 Zero be any more controllable?

Posts: 121 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 11-05-2000 07:48 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am currently working on it. I'm about 1/2 way through the planes now. I'll throw it out in a few hours if all goes well. The major change is that I've set up the center of gravity limits (stability margin) for each plane. What this means is that the CG can be placed in the aircraft.cfg file for each plane and it will react 'realistically' to that placement of the CG. You will be able to alter how easily the plane stalls or spins by placing the empty CG in the aircraft.cfg. Keeping it forward will make the plane practically stall proof, while moving it back will increase the sensitivity and responsiveness to elevator input. Moving it back too far will result in instability and an unflyable plane. I'll have it set up by default so that the CG is in the middle of it's useful range, giving a nice compromise between maneuverability and stability. Also, the B-24 is ready and I've added a bit more flap lift to help those carrier based planes get off the deck.
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 11-05-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More flap lift! I'm together with that plan Wells.
Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
curlytop
Member # 7691

posted 11-05-2000 08:02 PM     Profile for curlytop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have put the Wells 1.6 FMs in the American AI planes and am enjoying flying them .. As far as the comments of their being hard taking off from carriers, it is a challenge but if you watch old WWII footage you'll see these planes quite often sinking before picking up enough speed to fly right

I have not yet put the new fms in the player aircraft .. will these new fms allow them to be flown in restricted games?

Posts: 76 | From: Jackson, TN, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 11-05-2000 08:38 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno curly..from what I understand, anything goes on the zone, unless there's a flag or something that someone can set so that no modifications are allowed. Otherwise, you'll just have to fly with some friends who you know are all using the same mods.
Kadin
Member # 7372

posted 11-05-2000 08:50 PM     Profile for Kadin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wells, you never stoped to amaze me! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 11-05-2000 11:21 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's up, click on the link.

Flight Models v1.7

Most notable changes are more flap lift for Wildcat, Dauntless, Avenger and Devastator. The planes are a bit more stable in yaw and pitch and the B-24 has been added. Some other subtle changes to the roll rate of a few planes and the inertia of the bombers.

Check the sensitivity of your rudders by going into slew mode. I found that I couldn't control my heading at all with the default sensitivity. It needs to be tuned down for sure.

[This message has been edited by Wells (edited 11-05-2000).]

darren34
Member # 7473

posted 11-05-2000 11:32 PM     Profile for darren34   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ive been having pretty good luck with 1.6 and I also got the saitek 220 stick today, pretty smooth! Thanks Wells, I may check out 1.7

darren

Posts: 32 | From: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flanker35M
Member # 7450

posted 11-06-2000 01:57 AM     Profile for Flanker35M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S!

D/L the Wells FM 1.7 and gave a try.First impressions were positive with the Zeke.It is now like a "glove"..fits tight!Next I proceed to test the George and then USN planes.

Flanker

KF42
Member # 7803

posted 11-06-2000 04:47 PM     Profile for KF42   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FM 1.6 really seemed to settle the planes down; but 1.7 has sort of upset the apple cart for me. Using a MSFFPro stick and can hardly feed in enough down trim to keep the plane in the air. ???????

Other than that, great job Wells. Think I'll go back to 1.6 for a little while.

Posts: 2 | From: Chazy, NY USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 11-06-2000 11:02 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks KF42,

Can you tell which plane you are talking about? I know there's an issue with the Hellcat. The real plane had negative 3 degrees on the thrust line, which I don't think there's a way to alter in the air file. I may have to just reduce wing incidence or something. Most planes should need very little trim for cruising at 50-60% power or so. You can also change the empty_cg in the aircraft.cfg file for whichever plane is giving you a problem. Moving it back may require more down trim for takeoff, but trim shouldn't change as much with speed, while moving it forward will require more trim change with speed. I did move the Cg back a bit on all planes for 1.7. It's not necessarily an air file problem.

KF42
Member # 7803

posted 11-07-2000 09:39 AM     Profile for KF42   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wells,

In fact, it was the Hellcat. I moved back to 1.6 and smooth as a dream.........I am also a little surprised that the F6F is the only plane that had the negative incidence. That is a quite common design characteristic. (Has something to do with angle of attack I think. )
Keep up the good,.........no..........GREAT work.

KF42

Posts: 2 | From: Chazy, NY USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-07-2000 01:16 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wells,
did you change anything on the FF-effects? Felt so for me. I had to upper the FF for center spring quite much. And that is where my real problem is: After installing FM 1.7, the rockets for the corsair where gone. So I reinstalled the "rocket corsair" i've had before. Now the FF for this plane is much to strong.
My question is: Do you plan to include rockets/additional weapons in your next FM-pack (if there will be one)?
If not, could someone tell me how to enable rockets in the Wells corsair?

TBird
P.S.: I like your new FMs very much, Wells, but I want to enjoy them with rockets (for now, I'm back at 1.6)

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 11-07-2000 03:40 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rockets are in the .dp file. All I did was correct the number of rounds, muzzle velocity and rate of fire to match the data in the manual. I didn't add rockets. As far as I know, the 1A Corsair didn't carry any rockets. You can still use the 1.7 FM, just don't extract the .dp file as it will replace the one that you are using for rockets.
Stonehouse
Member # 4874

posted 11-07-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for Stonehouse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's probably something I'm doing wrong but with FM 1.7 I always end up taking my Wildcat for a swim when taking off from the carrier which is wierd because using the stock FM I've never had any trouble getting the Wildcat off the carrier even with tanks/bombs fitted. I usually have either no flaps or 25%, go to full power and once the elevators have authority I lift the tail wheel off and then sort of dive off the deck while retracting the gear and gaining speed and level off just before hitting the water. I'm making the assumption that the CG changes in 1.7 mean I need to change my methods but I've tried adding extra flap without success. Any clues as to what is the best way of doing carrier takeoffs using 1.7?

Cheers,
Stonehouse

Posts: 31 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hans Offen
Member # 3916

posted 11-07-2000 06:38 PM     Profile for Hans Offen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let me thank you for your FM 1.6. It has kept me from turfing out CFS2 and getting my money back.

I had some real problems with force-feed back over-senstivity after getting the sim going, but I managed to iron out the kinks by turning down my global FF effects levels and then rebalancing all my other flight sims to compensate. I am using a Logitech Wingman Force with CH rudder pedals.

I was still not all that impressed with CFS2 once I got the planes flyable, though. The 1.6 FM patch made a world of difference and I am giving CFS2 a second chance. I am finding the Zeros the easiest to fly, they barely stall at all and behave beautifully. I am curious to see how your next version of the FMs work out.

One of the most notable improvements is that I can now belly-land the planes with the gear up, something that I could not do with the stock FMs without flipping all over the place and exploding. It's still pretty hairy, but the trick seems to get low enough for a prop strike before settling down into the grass.

Posts: 134 | From: Lotusland, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Peter N
Member # 5774

posted 11-08-2000 01:08 AM     Profile for Peter N     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must also add my praise to Wells for the work he's doing on the flight models/DPs. I've used all the versions issued so far.
My suggestions for Wells: could you toggle the 319 field so we get stall horn in all the aircraft? It's kinda useless right now since it only beeps when you're already in the stall, so it's not much of a warning... But it'd be nice to have, and requires no tweaking.
Also, could you "extend you services" to the carriers? See the the thread "Taxiiing problems resolved..." That seems like an easy fix also.

/petern

Posts: 28 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.