my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Why "tilt" panning isn't very useful

Author Topic: Why "tilt" panning isn't very useful
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-05-2000 07:34 AM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was really psyched when I first saw this feature in the key assignments, and rushed to try it out. Alas, it suffers from the same limitation of all "virtual cockpits" I've seen: the movement is always rotated about the same point. The purpose (IMHO) for tilting in pan would be to lean to one side or the other, so as to look over and down past the sides of your fuselage for checking low (or checking descent rate on final). All the tilt does is rotate one's "virtual head" in place, with no translation of the pivot point. Not very useful, and a prime reason for using "external slew" views to make up for that lack of visual angles one gets in a real cockpit.

If anyone in the development world reads this, take note. Allow the "pivot point" for panning to translate a little in the horizontal plane to simulate leaning and the subsequent moving of one's head. Nobody flies with a strap holding their neck to the same place on the seatrest.

Posts: 296 | From: Rome, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 11-05-2000 08:53 AM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree, but I have been told it is both "impossible" (by a very respected flightsim designer) and "simply another view that would need to be programmed" (by a couple of fellow simmers-no idea what their credentials are).

Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-05-2000 05:22 PM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well ...

If the cockpit interior is truly "3D" (and not just called so by marketing) then moving the eyepoint is much simpler translational math than is involved with the rotation already programmed in. We were doing that sort of stuff in class in grad school, for crying out loud! :-)

Now, if the current computations are alreay taxing the 3D state of the art to the limit, that I'll buy. I had the luxury of multiple SGIs for my work in that area. But impossible? Not generally, and the current gigaHertz technology already in homes all over makes it far more reachable.

jbaron
Member # 2905

posted 11-05-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for jbaron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^ They can do it in Aces High ^^^^^^^^^ http://www.hitechcreations.com/
In the main menu check out -game commands- and then -view system-.
Just to prove this is possible.

[This message has been edited by jbaron (edited 11-05-2000).]

Posts: 85 | From: Cape Cod, MA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpinDry
Member # 7379

posted 11-05-2000 07:04 PM     Profile for SpinDry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not surprised. Those guys are Da Bomb when it comes to putting together a quality piece of work. Besides, it's mathematically no different than setting an arbitrary external viewpoint and panning from there. That was working well even in RB1, on my 80286 platform!

Methinks someone simply took some shortcuts in the internal 3D cockpit rendering over at M$.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.