my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » HELP

Author Topic: HELP
Hoss
Member # 7749

posted 11-04-2000 10:17 AM     Profile for Hoss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please someone help me get CFS2 running.
I have just installed a new motherboard :chaintech 6AJA4 with VIA 133A apollo chipset.
I have got a pIII 700 128 meg ram.
geforce sdr 6.31 drivers, SB live
i cannot play for more than 30 seconds to a couple of minutes before it just crashes back to the desktop there is no error message it just crashes. Some times it says i have an explorer problem . The shop i bought the board from dont seem to know and it is the second board of the type i have tried they changed the first one just in case .
i am running win 98.
sorry to be a bore but it is really gettin me down constanly reinstalling the game and occasionally the whole of windows for no result
Cheers chaps Hoss

Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 11-04-2000 11:08 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Via drivers and BIOS are you running? Ideally you want Via 4-in-1 driver set 4.24 and BIOS 1005.
http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
curlytop
Member # 7691

posted 11-04-2000 11:18 AM     Profile for curlytop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How would I find out what BIOS should be for Nvidia TNT2 and how do I set it?

Posts: 76 | From: Jackson, TN, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 11-04-2000 01:36 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never bothered about the graphic's BIOS as I've never heard it's an issue to be concerned about. Somebody else may know different.

------------------
Taka Chutai

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-04-2000 03:29 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and I've never bothered about mb bios. In most cases, the problems are not with the bios. In your case, Hoss, the prob could be the AGP port. Geforce-cards consume a lot of power (up to 25W, sometimes more). The AGP port provides max. 25W. If you're playing a game with high demand on the graphics (as CFS2 is), you could get problems.
This is only a suggestion, maybe others have better solutions, but if this is your problem, the only way to solve it is to buy a new MB

TBird

Posts: 350 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-04-2000 03:47 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tbird; I'd like to see the source of that information concerning Geforce cards drawing a whole lot of power. The Geforce2 MX card draws 4 watts of power. All the Geforce2 cards are advertised as being very conservative with their power usage. It's the VooDoo cards that suck up the juice. That's the main reason I didn't buy a VooDoo card. Post a link to that info for me. Thanks.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 11-04-2000 04:46 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With the Via 4.24 drivers for my mobo I got around 900 more 3D-Marks.

And the big Voodoo cards have a seperate power supply that you plug into the mains. Wow!

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-04-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bigshot: Sorry, I meant Geforce 1 cards. Geforce 2 (no MX, dunno that, but 4W, what's your source, can't believe that) consume about 15W (and thats prooved)

TBird

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-04-2000 05:11 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.micropro.com store. Just look under the vid cards and select the Geforce2 MX DDV card. It states 4 watts. I chose the GTS 64mg card. Don't know what the watts used are on that one; but been doing quite a bit of reading about the Geforce2 power usage cause I've only got a 200 watt power supply. I've read the voodoos need at least 300 watt power supplies. At least that's what's recommended. I did hear from somewhere that the original Geforces were kinda piggy as far as power goes.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-04-2000 05:21 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"All of this performance is packed into a very compact chip that uses approximately 4W of power. This is a radical shift for NVIDIA and their previous power hungry products such as the GeForce 256 and GeForce2 GTS. Also, since the 3D Prophet II MX does not sport an on-board cooling fan, this lowers the potential power draw even further. It is doubtful that GeForce2 MX boards will have any of the problems the GeForce256 or GeForce2 GTS did with AGP power requirements that caused issues with certain motherboards."

previous page

next page

Sorry, it was over at sharkeyextreme.

Hoss
Member # 7749

posted 11-05-2000 04:23 AM     Profile for Hoss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I appreciate the tips lads what i might try is to buy a new more powerful PSU cos the
supply may be to weak.But ill give the new 4in1,s a go first
Thanks again

Hoss

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 11-05-2000 07:56 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Mounted in 564 PBGA packaging, the GeForce2 GTS sports 25 million transistors on a .18 micron, six-layer process. This can be compared to the GeForce 256's 22-23 million transistors on a .22 micron process. The smaller process gives several advantages. It reduces power usage or dissipation (halves it to 10W), which also reduces heat, thereby letting you set the chip to a higher clock speed.

Less power usage combined with more efficient board power usage also solves what may be the GeForce 256's largest difficulty, incompatibility with some motherboards due to high power demands. Also, the smaller transistors switch faster, which helps in reaching higher clock speeds. With the chip taking up less silicon space, more chips can be produced at once, which reduces per chip manufacturing costs."

Here's one more clip concerning power useage which was one of my biggest concerns when deciding on a vid card. The new GTS uses 10 watts. So I conclude no problem with AGP power output with this card.

TBird66
Member # 4720

posted 11-05-2000 10:43 AM     Profile for TBird66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thx for the lesson !

TBird

HAZ
Member # 7768

posted 11-05-2000 03:05 PM     Profile for HAZ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

is that the hoss i know

HAZ

Posts: 15 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.