my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » My ONE request for the patch.....

Author Topic: My ONE request for the patch.....
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 10-31-2000 04:32 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, after being initially somewhat critical, this sim is really starting to grow on me. I've accepted combat is perhaps not the best, but just flying the aeroplanes around is a truly wonderful experience.

BUT, my one request for MS for the patch is new force feedback code. Currently it sucks, bad. An arm juddering bumpy ride on take-off, the usual gun effect, and no flight feedback whatsoever. At least you can turn it off. MS, do me a favour - take a Sabre for a spin in MiG Alley and see how it SHOULD be done. I'm using an (expensive) Microsoft stick with a Microsoft sim - that should be an example of how to implement FF at it's best, not the waste of time it is now !

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Willem
Member # 6591

posted 10-31-2000 04:49 PM     Profile for Willem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What patch?

There is an interview with Tucker Hatfield, program manager for Combat Flight Simulator 2 over at
http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/october00/cfs2/

A quote:

“No, we aren't planning a patch. That doesn't mean that we are already determined not to do one, or that we wouldn't be responsive to any critical issues that may be discovered. At this point, though, there are no known issues in CFS2 that we believe demand a patch. But, to be honest, the game isn't out there in the hands of many people, yet. The decision to change our mind and do a patch would rest on whether users discover issues we can't live with. “

Posts: 73 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 10-31-2000 07:35 PM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's your "patch" - at least a small improvement: Look for this line in your cfs2.cfg file force_ground_bumps_enabled=1 and replace the "1" by a "0" - at least takeoff runs are no more rodeo!

------------------
°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
davido53
Member # 7121

posted 10-31-2000 08:14 PM     Profile for davido53   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here's an idea, Microsoft...

patch Windows!!!!!!!!!

and that crash to desktop whenever I close map view would be nice too

(currently rebooting once an hour)

Posts: 61 | From: Cincinnati OH | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Forward Observer
Member # 5366

posted 10-31-2000 10:44 PM     Profile for Forward Observer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm using an (expensive) Microsoft stick with a Microsoft sim - that should be an example of how to implement FF at it's best, not the waste of time it is now ![/B][/QUOTE]

CFS 1 was no better at utilizing their own
FF stick either. This was one criticism I read in several reviews. Also, I have read several complaints that the older generation
FF sticks will not function with Windows ME. Microsoft, when contacted actually had the nerve to suggest that the customers go out and spend another $130 for their new generation FF stick to correct the problem.

I can live with the stick forces or lack of, but what is really griping me is the no
roll ability effect from any kind of damage
what so ever. Add that glaring error to
a patch list.

------------------
Artillery adds dignity to
what would otherwise be a vulger brawl!

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 10-31-2000).]

Posts: 197 | From: Cabot. Ar, US | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 11-01-2000 01:09 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Davido,

DTD is usually not a windows or aplication problem..

It's a hardware/driver problem..

Just letting you know, so people don't get the wrong idea by your assuming it was a windows/cfs2 fault..

On the contrary, I've not had a dump in over a year, you have a memory leak, and it sounds like maybe a registry full of errors.

Pasha

Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 11-01-2000 10:29 AM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, Meatwater.

And thanks Forward Observer - I had no idea the first generation FF sticks don't work with Windoze ME, and have now abandoned any thoughts I might have had about "upgrading" You are quite right about CFS 1 (although you could at least take off without dislocating your elbow), but in two years you thought they might have learned something.

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 11-01-2000 11:35 AM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a first generation FF stick (MS), and it works well with Windows Me

------------------
°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^°^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RAY
Member # 3639

posted 11-01-2000 12:42 PM     Profile for RAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About patch...
I would like to see MP co-op options for singel missions and campagins.
Squad vs Squad games with airfield take off!
Otherwise this game is good!

Posts: 107 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hatch
Member # 3238

posted 11-01-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for Hatch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasha:

On the contrary, I've not had a dump in over a year...

Pasha

Someone get that pilot PRUNES and FIBER!!!

Posts: 246 | From: Orlando, FL , USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Perminator
Member # 7539

posted 11-01-2000 03:51 PM     Profile for Perminator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatch, you crack me up!
Posts: 5 | From: Avesta, Dalarna, Sweden | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
letterboy1
Member # 5126

posted 11-01-2000 04:03 PM     Profile for letterboy1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll go with Meatwater's solution for now, but I hope that a solution is presented eventually so that FF works like it's supposed to.

Also, I found Tucker Hatfield's comments interesting:
The decision to change our mind and do a patch would rest on whether users discover issues we can't live with.

Heloooooo? We can't live with? What's that all about? It has to bother them before it's considered a problem? Hey, I ask the question that one of my squad leaders in the Army asked every now and then . "So who's fuc*ing this donkey anyway?"

------------------
"My God, it's full of stars."

Posts: 360 | From: Columbus, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.