my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Ok, What is TRIM??

Author Topic: Ok, What is TRIM??
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 10-29-2000 09:27 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
forgive my ignorance but i always wondered what trim does??
thks..

Casey
Member # 873

posted 10-29-2000 09:32 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ever notice sometimes when you take your hand of the stick, your airplane wants to climb, if you've got full power, or dive if you're throttled down?

Trim gives the pilot a way of putting a little control pressure on the airplane to "trim out" those tendencies.

For example, on a little Cessna trainer, you don't have 2,000 horsepower like you do in a Mustang. To climb, one often "trims" the elevator up a few notches to produce a slight, gradual nose-up attitude.

Planes either have "trim tabs," little sections of each control surface (rudder, elevator, etc) that move when he moves the trim wheel or the trim wheel actually moves these surfaces slightly when it's turned.

In WWII Fighters, you have a "auto trim" option (S, I think). If you hit this when cruising, your plane should track nice and steady. But in combat, you want to turn this off.

Does that help?

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 10-30-2000 03:14 AM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks!

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.