my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Some post-coital musings on CFS2.

Author Topic: Some post-coital musings on CFS2.
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-28-2000 09:34 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I've been shagging this bird senseless over the last two days. She's a looker but how is she in the personality department?

If MS don't patch this they deserve to lose money on it.
The SP campaign is simply unplayable. No matter how well you do so far as mission goals are concerned you invariably fail the mission. Being expected, for example, to dispatch four out of five enemy a/c in a mission is just plain stupid. If your wingmen get two or more of them you "fail the mission".
And being awarded kills for shooting down tents is farcical.

The MP is likewise a crock. I note that MS have included their 'pay-to-play' sim on the disc. Is it possible they fully intended to deny us a proper MP so they could suck us into their $$$ sim?

As it stands, 30 is a lot to pay for a game with a buggered SP campaign and an MP that would soon bore a hardened playstation jockey.
Yes, it's a beaut of a sim graphically. The whole combat experience is so close to what one has seen in late-war colour gun-cam footage that one has to give the developers due credit for excellence.

But after the senseless shagging one wants a little more than a vacant-eyed stare from a brainless tart.

Microsoft, please get off your arrogant high-horse and sort this out.
And while you're at it give that twat gates one in the eye from me.

Thanks.

------------------
Taka Chutai

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 10-28-2000 10:44 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still making my mind up on this one. It's too early for a final assessment, but I do agree with most of what you say.

I never had any hopes for multiplay though - the Zone is fine for stuff like AoE2, but for sims it has always sucked. It's bad enough playing fellow UK simmers, but anyone in North America - forget it.

Much as I hate to say it, the premium games are well worth the subscriptions. Both Fighter Ace 2 and Allegiance (space rather than flight granted, but same principle) play virtually lag free for me - and that's on West Coast servers with me having only a 56k connection. For multiplay flightsims you really do need the heavy duty dedicated servers and net-code.

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DBond
Member # 37

posted 10-29-2000 07:18 AM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like the campaign either, but have little difficulty getting 100% success ratings on individual missions. What do you mean by "invariably fail"? Before the mission you can check the goals. Unrealistic they may be, but as long as you fulfill them you succeed the mission. Unless you end the mission by hitting ESC instead of X.

------------------

DBond
Contributing Editor
Frugal's World of Simulations
http://www.frugalsworld.com

"Do not ask how strong the enemy is, but where he is to be found." Motto of the Russian Fighter Pilot

Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DBond
Member # 37

posted 10-29-2000 07:28 AM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I see the example you gave of having to your wingmen get the kills you needed. That is not good, I agree. I only had that problem at the easy level though. Turning up the difficulty usually puts plenty of enemy AC in the sky. And my wingies can't hit anything, so no problem having enough targets.

By saying I had little difficulty, I just mean that I've had plenty of successful missions, not that every mission is easy or that I invariably succeed.

Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 10-29-2000 07:35 AM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Siggi,
I know what you mean by the having to shoot down 4 enemy planes and there are only like 6 to start out with. After the 3rd try on the one mission, I was about to flame my own wingies to stop em from killin the enemy before I could! :O But believe it or not, I actually managed to kill 5 the third time around.
On another mission, after completion, I botched the landing. So I reflew. After completing the goals, I headed straight back to base and landed instead of following to the last waypoint. There was no action in the last mission at the waypoint, so I figured, why go there? After landing my plane, I checked the goal box. I had compled all the goals, but the game said if I exited the mission, it would be shown as an incomplete mission. Sure enough, I had to refly it.
But I enjoy the graphics too much to put the game up.

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 10-29-2000 07:38 AM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm now in the beginning of 1944 in my easy setting US campaign starting from the beginning of the war.

Okay, I admit it, yes the campaign has some problems, the wingmen sometimes collide with each other or the ground, sometimes it is hard to figure out what exactly you are supposed to destroy in a given mission

But hell, they are better than any missions I could make and way better than the **** that was canned with CSF1 and labelled "campaign"

On another disturbing note, my wingmen have all of a sudden seemed to have forgotton how to fly. I never had a single incident where they collided with each other untill today...
Also I have lost like 3 out of 5 of my experienced guys, one of which had 9 kills

Also it seems that if a wingman bails out, he is automatically taken out of the game, no dice if he survives the bail out... Maybe mine have just been captured.

Anyone have a wingman bail and then have him still available the next mission?

------------------
I think therefore I'm bored

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-29-2000 08:31 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know, I have been captured bailing out over my own carrier.
Der Jager
Member # 7317

posted 10-30-2000 07:18 PM     Profile for Der Jager   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jv44~Siggi:
Well, I've been shagging this bird senseless over the last two days. She's a looker but how is she in the personality department?

If MS don't patch this they deserve to lose money on it.
The SP campaign is simply unplayable. No matter how well you do so far as mission goals are concerned you invariably fail the mission. Being expected, for example, to dispatch four out of five enemy a/c in a mission is just plain stupid. If your wingmen get two or more of them you "fail the mission".
And being awarded kills for shooting down tents is farcical.

The MP is likewise a crock. I note that MS have included their 'pay-to-play' sim on the disc. Is it possible they fully intended to deny us a proper MP so they could suck us into their $$$ sim?

As it stands, 30 is a lot to pay for a game with a buggered SP campaign and an MP that would soon bore a hardened playstation jockey.
Yes, it's a beaut of a sim graphically. The whole combat experience is so close to what one has seen in late-war colour gun-cam footage that one has to give the developers due credit for excellence.

But after the senseless shagging one wants a little more than a vacant-eyed stare from a brainless tart.

Microsoft, please get off your arrogant high-horse and sort this out.
And while you're at it give that twat gates one in the eye from me.

Thanks.

----------------------------------

S!
(And while you're at it give that twat gates one in the eye from me) !

WELL SAID!!

AS for CFS2, I'm not totally displeased.
I think the FM is fairly good, The plane
models look superb, although there are not enough flyable planes for me!!

.......AND the Damage model! Yes! !!

I will not mention the already well hashed less then desirable aspects of this sim should is only a shadow of what it COULD have been, especially with all of M$'$ MONEY behind it!!

Horrido!

buz13
Member # 546

posted 10-30-2000 08:21 PM     Profile for buz13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep problems...but I have completed missions succesfully.....but not if you hit the Esc key, you need to hit the X key at end of mission. Perhaps that's why some are failing when they do well in missions....also there is no half win or fail you must complete all goals which is somewhat unrealistic. There should be a scale of success and failure.
Posts: 385 | From: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.